It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Water post-SHTF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

cinderella man wrote:
Has anybody seen / used / recommend these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LifeStraw-Persona ... 3cb0f01be8

im debating getting some, for my family of 4.. We live near a river and a canal.. so for the time being at least, there's plenty of supply of water

My family and I used them in Australia on a weekend river trip (saved lugging massive amounts of water) they work fantastic!!! I was so impressed , as was my friends, I joined the company in a effort to get them out into the general populas. They have been tried and tested in some of the worlds harshest environments. light weight, robust, inexpensive, simple to use and instant! there is a massive amount of technical info available from the website also links to the inventors. http://www.lifestraw.com.au or lee@lifestraw.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:48 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Agartha wrote:
Thank you for the link, Manu. I have a few concerns:
1)As a family of 5 will have to buy 5 and each one will last 1 year for adults and 2 years for the children, which means we have a year to sort out clean water supplies whithin a year (more or less), if something was to happen. I agree that a year with clean water is better than nothing, but it doesn't make it a permanent help.
2)I was reading reviews online and a few people commented on a strong intial surge of iodine.
3)Doesn't remove Giardia, which makes it a bit questionable. Giardia is a protozoic parasite which can cause Giardiasis, an infection of the lower intestines which doesn't kill you but the vomit and diarreah it produces can lead to sever dehydration, malabsorption and weight loss and this could be dangerous if we have to live without hospitals.

The makers offer extensive facts and information on their website if you have a look at this link http://www.lifestraw.com.au/page/LifeSt ... efault.asp you may find there is also a "family" lifestraw available which is more suited to the base camp, the straw is perfect for its application, as you mentioned if something was to happen I think "permanent" will be erased from the dictionary, the Lifestraw is instant, effective and most of all simple to use and maintain for the young and old alike. I am led to believe, it does remove Giardia aswell, you can d/load their PDF follow the links, research as much as you can!!! thanks for the comment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:21 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Good article on using 55 Gallon barrels:

http://www.2012prepared.com/water-storage-solution-55-gallon-barrels/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:58 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

I already mentioned this lead in another post in this same section...

ozone generator

Ozone = 03 is an unstable molecule, made from 3 oxygen atoms. The third will detatch and try and find any other molecule to attach too and break its molecular bond; rapid reactive oxidisation. This goes for the molecular structure of bacteria/viruses. Ozone generators are used in cancer therapy, open-office deodourising and aquariums.

An ozone generator uses either UV lamp or oxygen plasma (corona discharge method) to generate ozone gas from ambient air. A fan will pump the air into a chamber where the UV lamp or corona discharge component is located, and any air passing through is converted into ozone gas. The air is then either pumped out to purify the environment you are in, or pressurised into a chamber and released through an air outlet, which can be concentrated e.g. ozonating liquids like water and oil. There are a few youtube videos on how to DIY your own ozone generator; using neon lights or automobile spark plugs.

Therefore ozonate any bacteria contaminated water. Some ozone generators, particular for domestic might have a 'bubbler-stone', specifically to ozonate water in a glass. I sprayed ozone gas for 30 seconds over a bunch of grapes, and they have kept for 5 weeks in the refridgerator, no mould (though they are pretty ripe internally).

Take note of the bromate product of ozonated water relative to bromine (type of salt) levels in water.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4