It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Freezing Medications?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:56 am 
Superstar Contributor

I’ve got a question for Acolyte or Pixie or anyone who may know. There are so many people on this forum with relatives or friends (or themselves) who need medication and they say that when TSHTF they are done for without their meds. I was wondering if medications – some at least – could be frozen?

A solar camp freezer could be set up to store meds if it is possible.

Post subject: Re: Freezing Medications?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:33 am 
2012 Apologist

yeeesh ...what am i..? Chopped liver?

What the hell is chopped liver anyways?!? that just sounds disgusting....

Here. Google is your friend

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Prescript ... evity.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-shelf-life.htm

Temperature ranges for storage

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrug ... summer.htm

The answer is.... depends

Certain drugs like antibiotics are organic based which means they are produced not to exceed a certain temperature (usually room temperature) but going to the other extreme like prolonged freezing will lower the concentrations of chemicals that make the drug effective. Certain other drugs can be stored frozen but studies have found that it does not extend its expiration date but it doesnt lower it either. Keeping it room temperature in a dry dark place seems to be all they need. Spikes in high temperatures will lower its efficacy. You will either have to look them up on a medical journal or ask the manufacturers on how to extend expiration dates.

Also, certain drugs will not work if they are not in room temperature so injecting yourself with cold meds may delay its effects on you. Freezing also has this effect of separating different densities of chemicals within the liquid. So, there may be a need to thaw an entire batch and make sure the ingredients are properly diffused.

Pharmacies have this trick of having powdered or dried versions of certain medications and will only add liquids as needed. They must know something about how to extend the shelf life of prescription medications. Maybe you should ask them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:41 am 
Superstar Contributor

[quote="XSlayerALE"]yeeesh ...what am i..? Chopped liver?

What the hell is chopped liver anyways?!? that just sounds disgusting....

Here. Google is your friend

Sorry if I made you feel like meat Slayer. Thanks for the info. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ed%20liver
There you go.... I googled chopped liver for you. :D

I’m not on any medications myself and neither is any of my family – huh, maybe I should be.... I brought up the subject because it hasn’t been covered before, so maybe it hadn’t been thought of, and many people are worried about their meds. I don’t think a pharmacist would give advice on storing medications past use-by dates. If the US is anything like Australia, the hoarding of medicines is a big no no.

A doctor once told me that ventolin syrup for children – or anything with a use by date of 5 years - never expires.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 am 
Superstar Contributor

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/forum/for ... 14318&PN=1
http://www.entrewave.com/view/y2kchaos/s35p650.htm
Written by a veterinarian;
Quote: The rate of decomposition is halved for every 20 degrees farenheight the temperature is lowered. It works this way: Tetracycline, with shelf life of 5 years at 60 F, lasts 10 years at 40F, 20 years at 20F, 40 years at 0f, or in a home freezer.
Pennicillin in 100cc bottles or less can be laid on their side and frozen without bursting the bottle, and will also last 40 years in a freezer. mix well when thawed and all is well. Liquids can be frozen in small bottles with more than 10 % air space in them. (Ice expands 10%, and in bottles more than about an inch and half diameter the walls can't stand the pressure ice exerts before it melts from pressure, to relive its expansion through this melting, so they crack as they freeze. Still good, but a mess when they thaw. You can still freeze larger bottles but you have to nurse them as they freeze by shaking them up to put air foam into the ice, to relieve the pressure. Best to keep at least a quarter of the bottle volume as air, in those you want to try this on.
Note that this formula is for chemicals, not biologicals. Biologicals are things like live vaccines, and seeds etc which are expected to be alive when thawed. Biologicals have very varied life extensions from cooling them down, but in all cases known to me, they double life in much less than the 20F required to half the chemical thermal deterioration rate mentioned above.
As for powdered medicines, no problem, store them in the freezer, in moisture proof containers, and they will last about as long as you will.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]