It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do we survive the solar flare in 2012?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:02 am 
Very 2012esque

Sorry, my English is not so good. I just read the news posted by Maranatha in her thread. I quote:

Quote:
LONDON - "Defence Secretary Liam Fox has highlighted the fear that once-in-a-century phenomenon of a large solar flare could cause electromagnetic disruptions which could paralyze the earth. Earlier this year, NASA scientists had warned that large solar flares could be caused by a peak in the sun’s energy cycle in 2012 or 2013, which would be powerful enough to leave many countries, including the UK, without crucial communication signals. The electromagnetic disruptions could widespread power blackouts around the world by crippling electrical equipment as well as satellites that are orbiting our planet. The super-flares that cause electromagnetic disruptions occur once in every hundred years. The last major flare had disrupted the early telegraph system in the mid-nineteenth century, and the scientists fear that a similar event now could paralyze modern life totally as it could hit computers, telephones and water & food supplies. Speaking to Channel 4 News, former U.S. government advisor Avi Schnurr, warned that a major solar flare could cause a permanent blackout through out the world. Commenting on the issue, he said, “The most severe affects would be destruction of big transformers that make it possible to send all the electrical power through the electric grid.” Defence Secretary Liam Fox is going to attend a summit scientists and security advisers who believe country’s infrastructure is vulnerable to electromagnetic disruptions." -Top News

No electricity means havoc - chaos. During the Hurricane Katrina, people just went into abandoned shops and stole things. I also read somewhere that even a 3 year old girl was raped as there weren't anyone there to protect her. So if the solar flare does hit us in 2012, everything will come tumbling down (we might not have to wait for 21/12/2012). No internet, no mobile phones, no transportation - worst of all, no foods? What EXACTLY does it (the solar flare) do to human beings? I mean, will it actually kill any living things roaming on earth - Humans and animals? What can we do to survive? How to survive? Do we hide deep in the caves? Should we keep our computers and mobile phones? Where to run to? Where to hide?

I'm totally lost here, so if anyone is kind enough to steer me to the right directions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: How do we survive the solar flare in 2012?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:16 am 
2012 Apologist

Solar flares happen all the time. Its not dangerous to humans, animals or plants. We have a natural protection called the magnetosphere that is created by the earth's core. The harmful radiation from solar flares, Coronal Mass Ejections and sunspots are caught by the magnetosphere and ionized. When solar flares become particularly strong (like during the solar maximum at the end of 2012) the ionization start to affect radio and microwave communication. A strong CME can cause local black outs that the power company can usually fix in a couple of days.

What becomes alarming is that the earth is showing signs of shifting it's magnetic polarity. When this happens (and there is archeological evidence that it does happen periodically) magnetic north will be at the Antarctica instead of the Arctic where it now is. The process that happens when the poles shift is when the magnetosphere is at its most weakest (it may not be there at all) when that happens, there might be enuf radiation to cause skin cancer after a few years or severe sunburn (after several minutes) but nothing drastic like people poofing into fireballs when the walk outside into the bright sunlight. The bad thing is that all that radiation is being ionized by our atmosphere at great levels similar to an EMP (Electromagnetic pulse). That ionization will disrupt power grids throughout out the world, even when theyre facing the away from the sun because the EMP effect travels thousands of miles and solar flares lasts anywhere from 2 to 8 hours. CMEs last only 4 hours but they pack a larger punch.

So, in summary. Solar flares by itself. not too bad.
CMEs by themselves, not harmful
Loss of Magnetosphere, get more suntan lotion
All three of them together.... end of days.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:37 am 
2012 Elder

Well I guess we can prepare to some extent for loss of electricity - through stocking up on food, water, tools etc and learning practical skills. That might help us survive till we can become self sufficient. But most people don't have access to either the land or know how.
Also, there will be no fancy drugs and you can kiss goodbye to your triple heart bypass. A knowledge of herbs will only take you so far.
It will be like it was centuries ago where a minor accident could kill you and with a much shorter life expectancy.
But initially there will be a terrible cull, the biggest danger being other humans. In my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:26 am 
Superstar Contributor

slayer one has to account for the varying degrees of flare. these days it's too hard to tell the difference between real correlations of observations and simply jumping on the bandwagon, nevertheles there are plenty of people calling this a real threat. earths magnetosphere is far too weak right now to fight off anything!

“Choice is an illusion. Do I do this – do I do that – all of this is confusion. I can only choose when I’m confused. When I know clearly, there is no choice.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:19 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Seriously Havoc and chaos, let it happen the better they kill each then survive with us.

"There are small things even a microscope cannot see."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:19 pm 
Superstar Contributor

What people need to also think about, especially in 3rd and 2nd world countries and rural parts of China/wherever. Is that if communications are lost and the entire globe is in havoc, this would be a prime opportunity for militant groups to set out in full force. Expect any number of pirate attacks on cruise ships and/or freightliners. Even southern USA (I live 10 minutes from the TJ border) could become vulnerable to drug cartel militia.

In the event of a global EMP effect, power hungry gangs/personal armies are going to have a field day on the people they've been warring with.

Change the world!
http://www.2012forum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=17713

Write in None of You Bastards! 2016...2020...2024...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:26 pm 
Very 2012esque

XSlayerALE wrote:
What becomes alarming is that the earth is showing signs of shifting it's magnetic polarity.

Will the pole shift happens because of the solar flare itself?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]