It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: List of Unusual Survival Items
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

aluminum foil

Last edited by SurvivalInstincts25 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 am 
Very 2012esque

Sling shot and a big bag of marbles :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:44 pm 
Very 2012esque

xtra shoe strings and thong underwear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:33 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

water distiller!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Bolt cutters.

In my book (still being written...) I advise people to break to unused properties as an option for a survival spot. That chain, lock, or fence might be able to breached if you have bolt cutters.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:26 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Rob wrote:
Bolt cutters.

In my book (still being written...) I advise people to break to unused properties as an option for a survival spot. That chain, lock, or fence might be able to breached if you have bolt cutters.

The really big ones are the best for this... we needed to get a pair to break a large master lock off our shed because it froze.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Computer hard drive...

...because

if you break it open you will find that the platters can be used as indestructible, 15 gram, mirrors. For looking at yourself, or signalling. Post SHTF there could be heaps of these around that are no longer able to be used in a computing sense.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:02 am 
Valued 2012er

Lipstick & Make-Up

so at least you'll look pretty, whilst your looking at yourself in the indestructable platter and wondering WTF did I lug this hard-drive all around the place for ???? :P

and yeah, I'm taking the piss, but your idea is actually, in it's essence, how survival is won (And part of the whole idea of the thread that you initiated I suppose).
To be succinct - to increase chances of survival, "one" needs to be able to SEE & UTILISE anything and everything at hand, often for a purpose that in no way fits the original utility.

But really, re: "platters".... in a real survival sense there are very much many more quite simpler and more abundant things able to be used for the mere reflection of light.

edit- sorry. My post of unusual survival item.....
A sense of humour and appreciation of irony.
(Morale, confidence (knowledge), WILL. The most important attributes)

Magellan wrote:
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:39 am 
Very 2012esque

1. Silk Cloth- I know that the poles will not be same after 2012, but if you dont have a compass, you can use silk to rub a needle with the silk. The you but the needle in a small container of water and let it float. it will point to the north. you can use this after the poles have settled to build new maps and guide yourself while hunting/migrating.

2. Sweet Love - No Survival Guide has told me to take a woman with me. After this 99.9% exrtermination of humans, we need to procreate. Yahoo!

Those who fail to prepare, are preparing to fail.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 am 
Valued 2012er

Misterbrownstone06 wrote:
1. Silk Cloth- I know that the poles will not be same after 2012, but if you dont have a compass, you can use silk to rub a needle with the silk. The you but the needle in a small container of water and let it float. it will point to the north. you can use this after the poles have settled to build new maps and guide yourself while hunting/migrating.

2. Sweet Love - No Survival Guide has told me to take a woman with me. After this 99.9% exrtermination of humans, we need to procreate. Yahoo!

#1 Or perhaps you could learn to identify stars and constellations. Ground yourself in a good knowledge of the sky from all vantage points on this planet and learn about astrophysics - the universe this orb is in ain't all going to change drastically in any hurry :)
#2 It's been said that Women may be/seem strange to Men and differ in their essence and motive (and who would I be to disagree with such :lol: ) but to include the "fairer of our species" as a survival "item" - shock, horror !! - maybe just be thankful that She might just be actually taking you along, with her... :lol:

Magellan wrote:
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:45 pm 
Very 2012esque

lol bro do stars appear during the day time? doesnt take an astrophysicist to know this answer. if you travel south of your camp to do some hunting and get lost around midday, the north star is not going to be shining brightly over your head to help you find your way home. silk and needle will help you find the north again. (again, thats if you dont have a compass).

shock and horror? are you serious? im not talking about just grabbing a girl that you find and taking her with you like a damn caveman. take you wife for gods sake. lol

Those who fail to prepare, are preparing to fail.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:10 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Eventually one will probably have to build a permanent residence. Might help to have a speed square or angle finder, and possibly a line level and bubble level. All are light enough to be bug-outable, and come in convenient pocket sizes. Of course, that is assuming one has a convenient pocket available. Just for the sake of really unusual stuff, possibly a slide rule. Just to build something that will endure for any length of time will require some calculation. Calculators and batteries won't last forever and both are prone to moisture damage. Lockheed built the SR-71 with sliderules, so I imagine I could use one to build the Taj-me-lean-to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:37 pm 
Valued 2012er

Yeah, a slide-rule would definitely be extremely handy.
You could even use it as a short fishing rod ,or maybe kindling ,or perhaps even a weapon (at a pinch) in a survival situation.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Magellan wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:00 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Yeah, a slide-rule would definitely be extremely handy.
You could even use it as a short fishing rod ,or maybe kindling ,or perhaps even a weapon (at a pinch) in a survival situation.

I'm sure mine would suck for kindling. It's plastic. It would make a fairly descent "field expedient" back scratcher though. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:27 pm 
Valued 2012er

Not that unusual but very handy
2 pack boat building quality glue for repairing, etc. When it runs out there are natural tree resins to use :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next