It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Turning Dirty Water into Drinking Water
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

This is an amazing invention tried it out on myself, friends and the kids, works perfect!!

a portable water purifier created for prevention of common waterborne diarrhoeal diseases. This small tube can be carried around to create easy access to safe and clean drinking water.

For domestic use LifeStraw® is perfect for use when camping, travelling, working, playing outdoors or simply to be prepared for and emergency that could effect your access to safe drinking water!
Your personal portable water purifier is a must have item. Filters 1000 litres of fresh surface water!
Only use what you need! only $30AUD !
1 litre equals approx 1 kilo no need to carry excess baggage if there are water sources available

No power or moving parts - designed for tough outdoor conditions.
Perfect for humanitarian work, travellers and camping.

Summary
Offers easy access to clean and safe drinking water away from home
Filters* at least 1000L of contaminated water
Removes minimum 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
Removes minimum 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
Reduces turbidity by filtering particles of approximately 0.2 microns
Contains no chemicals
lee@lifestraw.com.au
http://www.lifestraw.com.au

Post subject: Re: Turning Dirty Water into Drinking Water
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:46 am 
Superstar Contributor

Its been around for yrs. you can stick it into raw sewage and drink but it clogs up fast when drinking from a toilet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:46 am 
Superstar Contributor

I'm buying all the stuff on that site and I'm gonna recommend it to several other people, thanks for the post, manu.

'There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. A man must constantly exceed his level.' If you're not better than you were the day before, then what are you doing—what's the point?"
-Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:33 am 
Superstar Contributor

112233 wrote:
I'm buying all the stuff on that site and I'm gonna recommend it to several other people, thanks for the post, manu.

:roll:

My Blog Is At: http://trollmongo.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

I use the following method to purify my water.

http://youtube.com/user/shtfsurvivalist
http://facebook.com/shtfsurvivalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:56 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Sawyer PointOne Squeeze water filter.

Get a look at this.. in my opinion, it's the best one.

Very portable, can be use to 1 000 000 galons with the filter that is coming with it.
Very easy to backwash when needed, to clean the filter.

This is what they use in third worlds or when something happen, like in Haiti.

It comes with 3 pliable bags (500 ml, 1L & 2L).

I have it, works wonderful.. check some review, even on youtube, thats one very good solution.

About the price? Around 60$, thats the good part.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:06 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Kenl wrote:
I use the following method to purify my water.

we all know there are several ways to achieve t he same results, the one I mention took 20 second and involved only dirty water and the straw , the action you have shared is awesome and will serve well in the right situation with time permitting and having the extra equipment required :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:24 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Patrick D. wrote:
Its been around for yrs. you can stick it into raw sewage and drink but it clogs up fast when drinking from a toilet.

I hear what your sayin Patrick D ! but as yet have not felt the need to try that !! maybe post some pics of you doing that could give us a better view on what you mean :) :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:29 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

112233 wrote:

I'm with you 112233 I have all the items straw 1000L Family straw 18000L and the bug net, seriously hope I never NEED them though
Thanks for the comments :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:33 pm 
Valued 2012er

Beware when using distillation in the field. Some toxic liquids boil at lower temperatures than water, are quite clear, and will distil before and along with the water. Take gasoline for instance....

If you must distil water in the field, always allow the first part of the product to go to waste as it may contain things other than water. Once the water is boiling fully, then start capturing and condensing the steam back into water.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 am 
Superstar Contributor

Petrol is easily identified in water, what with it sitting on top and all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Here is a lead about ozone and potable drinking water...

Ozone generator. Ozone is a gas, elemental name 'O3', three oxygen atoms. It is unstable, and the third oxygen atom will detatch and attach to other molecules, making them unstable and breaking them down; rapid reactive oxidisation. Reactive oxidisation will destroy bacteria and viruses. So it can make brackish/contaminated water potable. Ozone generators are used in ozone therapies in applications such as cancer treatment, office open space deodoriser, etc.

You can buy a commercial generator, that are used in hospital/clinics (expensive), domestic machines that are affordable (specific for ozonating water and air, or for fish aquarium) or DIY make one. There are two types UV or Corona Discharge. UV uses a ultraviolet lamp and corona discharge uses a spark-gap-plasma setup. Ambient air is pumped into a chamber by a fan, the air passes through a space between a UV lamp or spark-gap arc, and ozone is generated, pumped through an outlet on the other end of the chamber. Corona discharge is supposed to produce the most output, ozone generator output is measured in milligrams an hour. Some people have made UV ozone generators from neon lights and corona discharge generators from automobile sparkplugs.

Ozone generators require an electric power supply. If you are without an AC power source, such as one in your home, you might look at Tesla Radiant Energygenerator or any perpetual machine energy generator, such as any overunity energy model. They can be made mobile too, take them out in the field.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]