It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Australian Survival.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:12 pm 
Very 2012esque

I started this topic for those living in Australia ONLY. Australia is unique, we have a variety of climates from the Top End tropics to the Alps and the Snowy Mountains. We still have a lot of unsettled habitable land and a good deal of our wildlife left intact. I don't know what is going to happen in regard to a survival situation, or even IF one is going to arrise, but I think those of us in Australia should consider our options and perhaps discuss what preparations we have made and what for.
By "what for" I mean do you have a specific survival scenario in mind? For me, I am prepared to survive any scenario that can be survived where life is possible. I am not prepared for a nuclear bomb, and I am not prepared for the world being set on fire!
I have a small group which is trained and equiped for long term wilderness survival. My equipment has been organised for many years, and it has been tested. Our group goes on regular treks so we can keep our skills honed and our equipment working.

So if you live in Australia or NZ, what are your plans? What are you trained and prepared for?

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not , when I came to die , discover that I had not lived. " Henry David Thoreau.

Post subject: Re: Australian Survival.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:35 am 
Valued 2012er

Hi. I Live in S.A I'm not sure what, if anything is going to happen. I have been reading differant threads on this and other forums, it is hard to make a decision on which way to lean, saying that, When in doubt cover all options. Is their a likely hood of a war breaking out? I think there is a strong possibility of that happening. Will Australia be involved? that goes without saying, seeing as the USA will be more than likely at the forefront of the conflict.

Is the GFC going to get better or worse? It's only a guess but yes, yes, & yes. Will the GFC affect the Australian Economy? If war dose come and USA and China are involved then we are totally f@#ked, I can't see us selling commerdities to the enemy to make weapons to use against us. Is their going to be a mojor 2012 movie type thing happening world wide? I think there is more likely hood of either previous options being closer to the truth.

What have I trained for? Military style nothing. My training is in Building and design, could I design and build a sustainable colony? Already designed the buildings.

Just an introduction to say Hi. We Aussies who think alike should be sharing Ideas. As you mentioned we have some pretty unique terrain here in OZ. keep in touch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:20 am 
Very 2012esque

Excellent post Ricky, thanks for your support.
Regards.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not , when I came to die , discover that I had not lived. " Henry David Thoreau.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm 
Very 2012esque

Well I am an Aussie and prepare for nearly anything !
At present I see a return to an iceage as a big probability, wont freeze where
I am but I see great competition for food as a fore sure thing!
A few more crop failures like this year and tha price of food will go up and up and up!
I am currently stocking up on food bigtime while I can still afford it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 pm 
Very 2012esque

For any fellow Aussies that are interested in primitive wilderness survival skills, equipment, and methods, my blog is at:
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

And our group's forum is at: http://eighteenthcenturylivinghistory.freeforums.org/

We are primarily an 18th century living history group involved in Historical Trekking. Please keep this in mind should you decide to join our group. There is however a forum for off topic chat called "The Club House", and a forum called "The Survival Connection".
Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 am 
Very 2012esque

"We are primarily an 18th century living history group involved in Historical Trekking"

Sorry no intention of going that far back ever!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:52 am 
Valued 2012er

The difference between beliefs make it not so easy to combine.
I am following the belief of "Stalking Wolf" where we MUST go back to the ways of cultures that lived close to the earth.
"We" are a parisite on this entity (look up the dictionary) and are about to be "shaken off".

PLEASE research "Stalking Wolf" http://www.4truthseekers.org/articles/a ... hecies.php

Our family has moved to the "edge" of society and dramaticly simplified our lifestyle. I now earn less, spend less and have more time for the boy and bossgirl and grow most of our own food.
I have stocked up on basics ;
seeds
water filters
clothing
hand tools
leather tools and cordage
fishing and snaring gear
knives,weapons
food staches,etc
and of course a horse.
AND if we can not stay where we are, I am prepared to bugout to the scrub to live in the "wild places"where no one want to live.
I believe to live a ancestoral/primitive life style close to mother earth and father spirit is the key to LONG TERM survival.
I camp out with my young fella and we pratice our knowledge for experience.

The best thing we Aussie's can do is learn from the Aboriginals, although they really don't care for us Whities, yet there is lot of good knowledge compiled from woman to woman.

Remember man made the world which is in trouble and the earth will heal.

Quote from "Stalking Wolf"

The fourth and final sign will appear through the next ten winters following the night that the stars will bleed. During this time the Earth will heal itself and man (the World) will die. For those ten years the children of the Earth must remain hidden in the wild places, make no permanent camps, and wander to avoid contact with the last remaining forces of man. THEY MUST REMAIN HIDDEN, like the ancient scouts and fight the urge to go back to the destruction of man. Curiosity could kill many.?
DO NOT BE TEMPTED BACK TO THE WAYS OF THE WORLD

"First you must learn to be centred within chaos and confusion"

Attachments:
shingle_dart2.jpg
shingle_dart2.jpg [ 17.08 KiB | Viewed 2002 times ]

Last edited by chucktrick on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 pm 
Very 2012esque

chucktrick
Sorry but the Australian aboriginals in 40,000 plus years reached the pinnacle of there development,
problem was that pinnacle was not very high!
Very few current aboriginals except those still LIVING in the bush know squat about anything but
drinking and handouts, a sad state of affairs!

The Earth is not sick it needs no healing! in the short time we have been around
we have changed very little and nothing we have or could do would stand the test of time.

We are the prime animal on this planet, the smartest around :lol:

well most of us are :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm 
Very 2012esque

Nightwind wrote:
"We are primarily an 18th century living history group involved in Historical Trekking"

Sorry no intention of going that far back ever!

In which case, perhaps you could share your thoughts on how long you expect modern equipment to hold up, exactly what equipment would you carry with you? And what skills will you take with you?

Please note that I am not being confrontational here, there is always more to learn, and I value my methods being challenged.
Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:14 pm 
Very 2012esque

[quote="chucktrick"]The difference between beliefs make it not so easy to combine.
I am following the belief of "Stalking Wolf" where we MUST go back to the ways of cultures that lived close to the earth.
"We" are a parisite on this entity (look up the dictionary) and are about to be "shaken off".

I am with you on this one.
Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm 
Valued 2012er

Quote:
pinnacle was not very high!

With their religon (way of life) and there conection to all, they not only survived or lived in comfort, they florished.
They did what was they needed to be the longest known culture. Common sense to me :idea:
What did God say to the Aboriginals?"Don't do anything until I get back." :mrgreen:
Their way was to live with the earth and their connection to "God" worked for them.
"I belong to this land , it does not belong to me."

Quote:
The Earth is not sick it needs no healing! in the short time we have been around
we have changed very little

I agree to disagree

Quote:
nothing we have or could do would stand the test of time.

You said it. How long will your gear last before you have to revert to ancestoral/primitive ways :?:

Quote:
We are the prime animal on this planet, the smartest around :lol:

well most of us are :lol:

There is a big difference beween being smart and being wise.
Wake up in the morning and see how "smart" the mob will be with no electricity:lol:
Did you read "Stalking Wolf's" vision? Remember he is passing on warnings he had not asked for, they were presented to him, as with most prophets.
We have to live with ways that are close to the earth!!

Attachments:
iceman.jpg
iceman.jpg [ 83.26 KiB | Viewed 1986 times ]
bamboo_clay_thrower4.jpg
bamboo_clay_thrower4.jpg [ 24.93 KiB | Viewed 1986 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 am 
Very 2012esque

I chose the 18th century because it gives me the best of both worlds. I use New World native skills and Australian native skills but have the comfort of 18th century equipment that I know will last a very long time. Also of course I have 18th century living skills, again this affords me a level of comfort. It is far easier to make fire with flint, steel and tinderbox, or with a firelock, than it is to use a fire-bow, but I can use both.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:07 am 
Valued 2012er

Quote:
Keith wrote:
I chose the 18th century because it gives me the best of both worlds. I use New World native skills and Australian native skills but have the comfort of 18th century equipment that I know will last a very long time. Also of course I have 18th century living skills, again this affords me a level of comfort. It is far easier to make fire with flint, steel and tinderbox, or with a firelock, than it is to use a fire-bow, but I can use both.

Yes Keith eventually that is around how I will want to live.
First I believe we must follow what was asked of the 'children of the earth'.
Hide for 10 winters in the wild places, live close to the earth and make no permanent camps and roam to avoid the remaining forces of the 'world'.
I have purchased 100 high quality waterproof/shockproof dynamo torches to trade/barter if the power goes.They would go in the first day :D
I also have purchased 100 chinese army magnesiun-flint firestarters (really cheap)and have sold 70 in 3 weeks (have to get more) and also can use the primitive methods. I have praticed the old ways for when they are needed yet still will use not rely thing such as the firestarter. I don't want to go all the way of letting go of what has been created though I am willing and ready.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 am 
Very 2012esque

I do not shun modern gear, in fact if Someone else can carry the weight, I will have them carry some modern firearms, but the ammo will run out, and if the gun breaks down, I will not be repairing it. My flintlocks on the other hand are easy to repair, and even if I run out of spare parts, and that is not likely, I can still use the gun. The lock can also be used to make fire. But I am not prepared to carry extra weight in modern gear that will not last, no point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:54 am 
Superstar Contributor

I have stocks in my house for a couple of months. Food, water and survival gear (torches, flints, water filters etc).
I expect though if things got tough in the city (which I would expect after the supermarkets have been looted after the first week) I would have to make a move.

I have a friend who's elderly parents live on a couple of hundred acres not far from Beechworth. It would be a 3-4 day walk if there was no way of getting out of the city by car. I have a diesel 4wd which opens up a few routes but I have to plan to not use the car if it's not possible.

The farm has cattle, a river and is prime land for sowing the soil. It also has farm implements from the turn of the century which could be very helpful. It is a short distance from the end of the Great dividing range, so elevation is there if needed. There is also a large cache of hunting rifles.

I agree with the posts above. We must learn the ways of the land again. Get in touch with nature and not make the same mistakes our ancestors did. This could only be done with a dramatic drop in our population... a cleansing of the land.

Listen to the Australian Aborigines and tread softly.

An Example:
I never understood Middens until I was shown their importance to the Aborigines. To me they were just a pile of old shells.
What they would do.. is before they took anything from the sea in a particular area, they would first check the middens. The last thing a tribe ate would be the shells on top of that middens pile. The gatherer would not collect whatever food was last eaten is that place. This would allow regeneration of whatever food was taken. The tribe would then gather something else and dispose the waste shells on top of the middens pile to let the next tribe know what they had taken.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next