It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Food And Nutrition and preservation and MORE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:36 am 
Superstar Contributor

My dude Dave Sarti has a nice you tube on this. DSarti1 is the channel. Very good watching material. A Big Fat Prepper from Tenn. who is as hands on as it gets. A little cooky but funny in his own ways.

Oxygen absorbers is all you need to seel up a bucket of rice....they will eliminate any oxygen inside of the bucket once it is sealed. His video shows how very cheap hand warmers are actually really huge oxygen absorbers.

Dry Ice? I haven't really seen that done yet...would like to. Are they freez drying the rice and beans? I'm not sure how that process works yet. Freeze dried food does have a 25-30 year shelf life in many cases. That sure beats your stash of sardines to get you through 2015.

The important thing is to get something stored up. The longer the stuff will last the better. My old man was with me at the super market today and I pointed at he dog and cat food and told him in a survival situation that would be good food....he goes no,no no, I wouldn't eat that. If he was starving he would though and I would. And I'm sorry to say it but, if I'm starving and somebody is roasting some human over the fire and it smells good, I'm probably going to have to eat that too. But 1st thing is 1st, before I start planning on eating people, I need to plan on trying to have enough food to avoid eating rats, cats, dogs and humans.

That is the part in all of this that I fear most.....a ton of hungry human beings. Cunning carnivores are seriously scary.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Bit late on this bandwagon but started putting together a list so don't want it to go to waste ;) some already covered but some info on seeds and how long they last along with a few foods.

Long Lasting Foods & Seeds

Obviously if a disaster does not happen in 2012, then the same would apply for a disaster in the future, but generally these foods and seeds do have a shelf life so rotation would be needed at some point.

I found a few articles and broke them down to what is below, basically showing the name, time it can last, nutritional factors and the availability of purchase and usability. I haven’t included anything less than 3 years survival time, though corn and pepper seeds have two year lifetime if you wanted to know.

Seeds

If you can relocate to somewhere with fertile ground then obviously seeds would be handy as you don’t have to completely rely on natural produce in the surrounding areas. Most seeds have a fairly short shelf life but some varieties can last up to 5 years, though this isn’t optimal so the sooner the better in most cases.

Seed/Plant: Radish

Shelf-life: 5 years

Nutrition: Vitamin C and anti-biotic properties

Availability: In the UK places like B&Q offer these at around 50p and you get 450 seeds from that. It may be worth buying a few packets per year so that you always have some whenever a disaster strikes. This type of survival is so cheap, you may as well!

Seed/Plant: Cucumber

Nutrition: Vitamin C and Potassium

Availability: A few pounds per pack and can be found online and I’m sure in shops like B&Q.

Seed/Plant: Tomato

Shelf-life: 4 years

Nutrition: Vitamin A, C, and K, plus Calcium

Availability: Always available online and in the garden centre type shops as mentioned above. Generally they need warm conditions to grow and ripen properly, but it’s another option.

Seed/Plant: Cucumber

Nutrition: Vitamin C and Potassium

Availability: A few pounds per pack and can be found online and I’m sure in shops like B&Q.

Seed/Plant: Spinach

Nutrition: Anti-oxidants, Vitamin A, C, E and K, Iron, Calcium, Protein….lots more!

Availability: Easily available, a few pounds per pack. Obviously fertile ground needed and right climate, though they were originally grown in Asia, they’re grown in England and other places so worth a bit of investment.

Seed/Plant: Carrots

Shelf-life: 3 years

Nutrition: Sugar, Vitamins C, D, E and K, Calcium, (bit broad) Minerals.

Availability: Easily available, like most root vegetables.

There are more like beans, cabbage etc, but I thought I’d put a short list together to give ‘food for thought’…..for about £10 you could get a pack of each of these and not have to worry for 3 years that you have over 2000 seeds, so it’s definitely worth the buy.

Foods

Generally you can freeze a lot of things, but moving a great distance would ruin the majority of these foods unless you have a novel method of keeping them frozen. It may be an ice age, in which case you’re winning…until you run out and the seeds you bought from B&Q can’t be planted! :O

Not going to detail as much but short list is:

Rice
Freeze-able
Pasta
Dehydrated Fruits
Honey
I imagine Twinkies going by the film Zombieland as well ;)
Canned foods
Nuts
MREs (meals ready to eat) – US army gives them to soldiers but available on eBay, though fairly costly. They do provide around 1200 calories a go though which could be very useful. Plus they can be consumed over 3 weeks according to good old Wikipedia, which means they can be shared or at least if you’re running short you have some time to try and find more food.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:02 am 
Very 2012esque

Thanks for these tips guys.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:20 am 
Very 2012esque

You are all born with a devine perpose. The posts are off path from how I see things. I do like the info being shared here. Nothing wrong with being prepared. But none of that will help you if you have not looked deep within your self first. Harder than you think. I have lived my life in pain from seeing too much inside myself.

Faith in yourself is your highest chances for survival. Let go and let in. instincts will guide you. Then you will have what you need and leave what you don`t. Plus what you need will come to you.

Chia seeds will hydrate you like a camel and fill you with nutrients for a day and you only need 2 tbls. Dried gogi barries will give you super nutrition. Nuts and other dried fruits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5