It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Food And Nutrition and preservation and MORE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:50 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Great list.. thanks.. any ideas on more food and freezdrying your own.... Vitamins of course.. shelf life?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:31 am 
Superstar Contributor

Well, Bulgaria66 this may be getting old for many people here but when it's all over-said and done- you are going to need to produce your own meat, vegetables dairy and eggs!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:28 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

honestly, with all this food storage headache and all, why not buy regular MRE???? I mean they should last from 5 to 8 years, can be eaten hot or cold and is pretty simple for storage. I'm really thinking of getting some and it just looks much more convenient.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?cPath=173

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:52 am 
Valued 2012er

Canuck, because MREs aren't efficient for long-term survival due to their high packaging ratio. That aside, do you really want to be eating those for that long without ever having a properly cooked meal? It'll destroy your morale eventually.

That aside, I've got you beat! MUSHROOMS!

http://www.fungi.com/kits/index.html From this website you can order kits that can be stored for a good amount of time (they're inactive until you add water.) and can grow mushrooms right inside your underground bunker! Don't forget, mushrooms are the only proper source of vitamin D that you can grow! Furthermore, many of these will provide food within a relatively short period of time, and can be harvested off and on for a number of months at a time... and even once they've been harvested out, you can break them apart and til them into a bit of compost, straw, sawdust or the like, and they'll start sprouting up all over again! On top of that, don't forget the medicinal properties of some of these mushrooms. AND WAIT, THERE'S MORE (alright, I couldn't resist, this feels like a sales spiel...) many of these mushrooms can even be sewn in with your garden after use, which then allows them to convert materials in the soil which would otherwise be inert, into nutrients for your crops! That's right, not just can you eat them, but they make the rest of your food grow bigger and better!

Also... face it, mushrooms are simply cool to watch grow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:20 pm 
2012 Elder & Leg-Shortener

Quote:
Don't forget, mushrooms are the only proper source of vitamin D that you can grow!

:shock:
I had no idea, but wow. Supposedly, even brief exposure to UV will pack them with D. Generating 5-10 minutes of UV light at infrequent intervals would be easy enough to do with even a bike generator.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12370708/

That just solved my underground vitamin D deficiency problem! Not only that, but it opens up so many more theories about the ancients surviving underground for extended periods of time. I feel dumb for not knowing that! :lol:

Thanks!! :D

Seismic and Volcano Monitoring - Pacific NW
Non-Hybrid Seeds
NOAA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 pm 
Valued 2012er

Yep, and a basic campfire will put out enough UV for that, if you're thinking about ancient types surviving underground.

Heh, and you're welcome. Honestly I'm not one to point to things to be purchased, but really, that's just too perfect... and who doesn't like mushrooms? Hell, they could even solve the humidity issues if you used them properly, as they soak it up literally like a sponge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:10 am 
Brand New Here

We go to groceries twice a week and store food into the ref. We don't keep food if the shelf span is only good for one day. Fresh food like fish, and meat are properly stored by means of drying and other processes.

Last edited by HertZer on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:55 am 
Superstar Contributor

canuck wrote:
honestly, with all this food storage headache and all, why not buy regular MRE???? I mean they should last from 5 to 8 years, can be eaten hot or cold and is pretty simple for storage. I'm really thinking of getting some and it just looks much more convenient.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?cPath=173

Hi Canuck. The problem with living off MRE supplies alone is that processed foods or any form of preserved food lacks enzymes for a healthy digestion. After a while this will tax a person’s liver and begin to show up as lethargy. Eventually, heartburn will be set in and be constant. Physical and mental illness will also show up because the body eventually will be unable to absorb nutrients properly. If you add greens in the form of weeds from your local area, then MREs would get you through.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:26 pm 
2012 Elder

canuck wrote:

Cost prohibitive? Have you priced MREs for a family of 4, for any length of time?

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=KX%20M030

$325.95 USD to feed ONE person, for ONE month. I'm sure you could shop around and find cheaper MREs, but probably not by much. Worth mentioning also, is where to store all these boxes and boxes of MREs? I have a few cases just for short-term emergencies and BOBs, and they take up an entire linen closet in my house.

$3,599.95 USD for one person, for one year
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_ ... 20to%20Eat)%20Year%20Supply%20of%20Food

That's not cheap. Growing a garden is. Keeping chickens is. Learning basic survival skills is a better plan of action, rather than just stocking up on a bunch of MREs....that will eventually run out, anyway.

"I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm 
2012 Elder

farmerjoe wrote:
Well, Bulgaria66 this may be getting old for many people here but when it's all over-said and done- you are going to need to produce your own meat, vegetables dairy and eggs!

My friend, where the heck have you been???? You have been sorely missed around here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:09 am 
Superstar Contributor

Thanks vonknabe. For a time I got a bit discouraged with this site, because too many did not understand the trouble we are in and how we really need to provide for ourselves, now! Everything you people need to know from self defense to making mayonnaise is available to you on the net. At no time in history has the knowledge of survival been so available to the pubic. So if you really want to know how to survive, dig in, I will help all I can. For my other recent posts See Chickens for Survival.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Brought 12 packs of seeds today, and 3 tins of tuna for 69p will get 3 tins every week and 12 packs of seeds for £3.69. also 1kg of pickled beetroot 69p great price.

Fridge/freezer is going up for sale this week, TV was sold some time ago. working to be off the grid very soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm 
2012 Elder

farmerjoe wrote:
Thanks vonknabe. For a time I got a bit discouraged with this site, because too many did not understand the trouble we are in and how we really need to provide for ourselves, now! Everything you people need to know from self defense to making mayonnaise is available to you on the net. At no time in history has the knowledge of survival been so available to the pubic. So if you really want to know how to survive, dig in, I will help all I can. For my other recent posts See Chickens for Survival.

Sure am glad to see you posting again. There are a lot of new people on the forum, and you have a lot to offer them. Don't worry about being repititious, as us "old timers" can take your advise as a refresher course.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:29 pm 
Valued 2012er

the one downfall I see with mushrooms is that they consume and utilize oxygen and give off carbon dioxide as a waste product so if you are growing them in closed quarters you're oxygen levels will decline if you have no way to renew them and your CO2 levels will increase, other than that they are indeed great and you can get them dehydrated so will have the same beneficial effects of being provided with vitamin D3

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

I employ you to look into Moringa Oliefera it is a virtual perfect tree. I t can be grown in doors. It can be grown in raised beds. The leaves are high in protein, calcium, vit c, and the list goes on. In the time after the great change food will be here but nutrition will be lacking. Moringa can fiil the gap , also can purify water and treat a host of medical problems including high cholesteral, diabetes, etc.. Go to www.feedtheflock.info and read up on it and also fill out the contact page and i think they will even send you five seeds for free if you pay postage. these seeds are hard to come buy quality ones anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next