It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Shelf Life of Seeds
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:33 pm 
Valued 2012er

Shelf Life of Seeds

Average number of years vegetable seeds will remain viable if properly stored.

STORE SEEDS PROPERLY
Keeping seeds dry during storage is most important. Moisture causes seeds to rot. See to it that moisture from the air or any other sources does not get into the seeds. A simple, inexpensive but efficient storage container can be made out of a canning glass jar with an airtight lid. Get a clean jar. Make sure it is dry. As a precaution against moisture, put a layer of powdered charcoal (dessicant) on the bottom of the jar. One-half inch thickness is sufficient. If silica gel or calcium chloride is available, these should be substituted for the charcoal. Place the seeds in an envelope so they do not get in contact with the charcoal; place in a jar and cover tightly. Low temperature prolongs the life of the seeds. With this method of storage, seeds can be kept without significant germination loss.

Asparagus - 3 years
Beans - 3 years
Beets - 4 years
Broccoli - 3 years
Brussels Sprouts - 4 years
Cabbage - 4 years
Carrots - 3 years
Cauliflower - 4 years
Celeriac - 3 years
Celery - 3 years
Chard,Swiss chard - 4 years
Chicory - 4 years
Chinese Cabbage - 3 years
Collards - 5 years
Corn - 2 years
Corn Salad-(mache) - 5 years
Cress - 5 years
Cucumbers - 5 years
Eggplant - 4 years
Endive - 5 years
Kale - 4 years
Kohlrabi - 3 years
Leeks - 2 years
Lettuce - 6 years
Muskmelon - 5 years
Okra - 2 years
Onions - 1 year
Parsnips - 1 year
Peas - 3 years
Peppers - 2 years
Radishes - 5 years
Rutabagas - 4 years
Salsify - 1 year
Scorzonera - 2 years
Sorrel - 4 years
Southern Peas - 3 years
Spinach - 3 years
Squash & Pumpkins - 4 years
Tomatoes - 4 years
Turnips - 4 years
Watermelon - 4 years

Source:
http://www.angelfire.com/pe/kennys/p11b.html

Survival Seed Site
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?products_id=1340&gclid=COWExZSvpJQCFSY1agodeTz7tw
These seeds are specially packed for a 5 YEAR STORAGE life

Post subject: Re: Shelf Life of Seeds
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:42 pm 
Valued 2012er

In an emergency situation, seeds can be grown in unusual areas:

Be creative. The same places that weeds and other unwanted plants grow can be used to grow vegetables, fruits, or even herbs.

How to Plant
A good general rule is to plant seeds at a depth three times the diameter of the seed. Fine seeds should be scattered on top of the soil and pressed down lightly.
Climbing plants such as tomatoes, peas, and beans should be planted near stakes or trellises.
Plant your seeds with enough room to enable you to move around the plants so you can weed them even after the plants have grown.
Fruit trees should not be planted in the lawn area. The watering and fertilizing schedule for lawns varies greatly from what fruit trees need.
Saving Seeds
Saving your own seeds can be time consuming. However, when you replant from seeds that you save, it usually yields plants that are better suited to your particular soil and climate.

Once you have planted your garden, watch for and keep track of the healthiest non-hybrid, self-pollinating plants. These are the easiest to harvest good seeds from. Self-pollinating plants are able to produce seeds on their own, without the aid of wind, bees, or other insects. Hybrid plants will grow great the first time, but seeds harvested from a hybrid plant may yield unusual produce.

If this is your first try at saving seeds, start with beans, squash, dill, and/or marigolds. Once the seeds have been collected it is essential to dry them thoroughly before storing them. Excess moisture can cause the seeds to mold and rot. Use a fine screen or a sheet of plastic or glass to dry the seeds on. Do not use paper towels--the seeds will stick and become hard to separate. Dry the seeds in a warm place out of direct sunlight.

Seeds that you have collected can be stored in coin envelopes, small pill bottles, empty film canisters, or other small envelopes and containers. Label each container or packet with seed type and any other relevant information. Then store in a dry, cool place. If you use envelopes to store the seeds you may also want to place them in a jar with an airtight seal to keep out moisture.

Sprouting Seeds
Sometimes you and your family need nourishing vegetables immediately in an emergency. Waiting months to harvest a garden may be too long. An easy and fast approach to obtaining some nutrients vegetables provide is sprouting. Sprouting is simple, and sprouting kits can be purchased cheaply, or you can use items found around the house. Some good sprouting seeds are: alfalfa, mung beans, triticale, soy beans, lentils, whole peas, adzuki beans, clover, garbanzo beans, rye, wheat, beans, rice, and oats. The last five seeds mentioned sprout in only two days. The rest sprout in about three to five days.

Fresh vegetables, greens, and fruits are an important part of your family’s diet. With a little planning, storage, and hard work, you can grow part of your own food storage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm 
Valued 2012er

no where seems to have the answer to this but I speculated that a seed is always OK, until it germanates or sprouts.

so i've got this collection of carrot and pea seeds stored as you've described, and have done for 3 years now. I'll plant them in 3 more and see what happens.

or get an answer first, whatever.

Bigmoose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:28 pm 
Superstar Contributor

I put in the following last week on my vacation (small backyard)

Anna Apple - 4ft tree
Dorsett Apple - 4.5ft tree
Raja Puri Banana - 2ft
Mexican lime - Already with 6-8 fruit on it.
Clementine - 4-5 fruit on it already

From seed
Black Aztec corn - 11 plants - self contained system
Atlantic giant pumpkin - started off in mini self contained system (growing fast!)

Not only that I now know how to propogate clones from root stock and grafting. If I had some kind of root growth hormone I could even do it from fresh cut twigs as well. Also knowledge of hand pollination and being able to tell the difference between male/female flowers (in some cases both).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:11 am 
Valued 2012er

Thanks for the info. I'm going to gather all of the items I need for 2012. If anyone who lives near me wishes to assist or get protection from me, please tell!

Bring as many pots as possible! Find an area that will be less effected due to theoretical consequences. Try to find enough fertile soil to survive!

I'm a voice actor (http://www.youtube.com/user/MetallicPoison)
世界の支配者と言われると、お世辞でもうれしい。 Guess... ^^
I'M BACK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:03 pm 
Very 2012esque

Thank You! So I'm thinking about putting the charcol into a knee high to keep it tidy also what'da think about putting the seeds in the freezer? (just a regular one not a deep freeze)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:11 pm 
Very 2012esque

Very interesting thread. Thanks for all the info. Would like to add some more if the author doesn't mind.

I know of a site called www.beprepared.com that also sells canned seeds in a #10 can that can last on average of 4 years and more I'm assuming on where it's stored. Below you will find the info and page for them taken right off their website.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_ ... en%20Seeds

GARDEN SEEDS

Includes an 8-page instuction booklet. Get started now with this complete garden in a can. With the contents of this can you can grow a garden the size of 2 basketball courts. Includes peas, radishes, onions, spinach, cabbage, swiss chard, beets, carrots, lettuce, beans, corn, cucumbers, zucchini squash, peppers, winter squash, and tomatoes. These seeds are non-hybrid seed hermetically sealed in E-Z Lock Reusable Triple-Layered Foil Bags. These special non-hybrid seeds allow you to harvest your own seeds for future plantings. Non-Hybrid seeds produce true to variety seeds to replant for future harvests. Adequately dried seeds sealed in moisture barrier containers can be stored safely for 4 years at 65-70° temperature and much longer at lower temperatures. Each 6° drop in storage temperature may double the storage life of most seeds. Critical factors are temperature and moisture content. Store as cool as possible. Can should remain sealed until ready to use. For best results store unopened can in a refrigerator or freezer. Keep out of sunlight. Packaged in accordance with the Federal Seed Act rules and regulations for hermetically sealed seeds.

Everything We Need To Survive, Man Has Already Created

or Found A Way To Create.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 am 
Superstar Contributor

US, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, UK, France, Israel, Argentina, Mexico, Iran, Norway, etc. is build underground food shelf i dont know why, maybe getting ready for 2012?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:36 am 
Superstar Contributor

What is an "underground food self?"
Do you mean crazy hydroponic systems or something more sophisticated?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:39 am 
Valued 2012er

silence wrote:
US, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, UK, France, Israel, Argentina, Mexico, Iran, Norway, etc. is build underground food shelf i dont know why, maybe getting ready for 2012?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-We8dZnV ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:21 pm 
Very 2012esque

humanlegacy wrote:
silence wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-We8dZnV ... re=related

This is not an underground food shelf... This is the Doomsday Vault, an underground seed bank (the world's largest) built on a Norwegian island near the North Pole...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:32 am 
Valued 2012er

Blue August wrote:
This is not an underground food shelf... This is the Doomsday Vault, an underground seed bank (the world's largest) built on a Norwegian island near the North Pole...

DUH....thats why I posted that link

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

ohh great information about seeds .. everyone is looking different ways of escaping from diseasters .. but instead of store any seeds , i will be waiting for the new beginning ... good luck everyone ... :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:55 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

lightning wrote:
ohh great information about seeds .. everyone is looking different ways of escaping from diseasters .. but instead of store any seeds , i will be waiting for the new beginning ... good luck everyone ... :(

agreed! I'm into plants and seeds, all of that stuff. If 2012 involves some sort of disease that prevents the plants from growing properly or causes illness when consumed by humans there's really no point in saving them in the first place. Unless of course, 2012 blows over in a minimum of 2-5 years which is highly unlikely i'd think :| .... and if you dont have honeybee's to pollenate your plants, or plan on pollenating your whole survival garden yourelf, then your in deep trouble... i've learned a few things from the link, thanks a bunch :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

original post is very informative thank you. I would like to think any bunker set up I would have would have an adequate hydroponics area in order to grow food to supplement anything that had been stored in preparation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next