It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 10 Uses for Wood Ash
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:23 am 
Superstar Contributor

Once you're done with that campfire, hold on to those Ashes!

Use wood ashes to:
  1. De-skunk pets. A handful rubbed on Fido's coat neutralizes the lingering odor.
  2. Hide stains on paving. This Old House technical editor Mark Powers absorbs wet paint spatters on cement by sprinkling ash directly on the spot; it blends in with a scuff of his boot,
  3. Enrich compost. Before the organic compound get applied to soil, enhance its nutrients by sprinkling in a few ashes, says the host of radio's You Bet Your Garden, Mike McGrath. Adding too much, though, ruins the mix.
  4. Block garden pests. Spread evenly around garden beds, ash repels slugs and snails.
  5. Melt ice. TOH building editor Tom Baker finds it adds traction and de-ices without hurting soil or concrete underneath.
  6. Control pond algae. One tablespoon per 1,000 gallons adds enough potassiumm to strengthen other aquatic plants that compete with algae, slowing its growth,
  7. Pump up tomatoes. For the calcium-loving plants, McGrath places 1/4 cup right in the hole when planting,
  8. Whiten Teeth. The potassium hydroxide found in hardwood ash is a bleaching agent and will whiten teeth. A popular home remedy is brushing with the wood ash on a regular basis. Potassium will harm the enamel in your teeth over time and this has to taste awful; they may want to be a last resort.
  9. Make soap. Soaking ashes in water makes lye, which can be mixed with animal fat and then boiled to produce soap. Salt makes it harden as it cools.
  10. Shine silver. A paste of ash and water makes a dandy nontoxic metal polisher.

#2, #6, and #10 may not help too much in a survival situation, but it's still nice to know this stuff.

I got the uses from these two sources:
http://www.makemyteethwhiter.com/natura ... ening.html
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article ... 70,00.html

(Mods, if you want, this can be moved to Practical Survival Tips and Tricks)

The government is not your friend! Will you let them WIPE YOU OUT after the disaster?

Energy Manipulation, Telekinesis, Remote Viewing, Telepathy, etc are possible -- no need for a 'gift' -- and YOU can do it!

Post subject: Re: 10 Uses for Wood Ash
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:18 am 
2012 Elder

it also can be used with cyan pepper to slow or stop bleeding. the peper does most of the work the ash hardens with the blood to clot faster.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:54 am 
Superstar Contributor

Another good article. I always wondered if there were some therapeutic reason the ancients ate ash? I heard there was; I'll do some research and post later.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 am 
Very 2012esque

Professor Arkham wrote:
Another good article. I always wondered if there were some therapeutic reason the ancients ate ash? I heard there was; I'll do some research and post later.

Yup! I actually just saw that on Survivorman the other night it’s a natural antacid, but just a small bit of it though.

Agreed too Great Post!

Post subject: Uses for Wood Ash
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 am 
Valued 2012er

indigenous folk and this "camper" also use it:

process dried corn by soaking in approx .1 molal solution of hard wood ash, creating "nixtamal (aztec word nix-ash tamal-cornfood)"

foot powder: fungi dont do well in alkaline environment (use sparingly or risk chemical burn)

whatever the use, mix up a little paste and taste.
slightly sweet = pH range of about 8-10 (safe-ish for human consumption / topical use)
more bitter = ph range of 10+ (your tongue will get a yow!-kick)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:09 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

11. Warpaint for raiding the neighboring tribe of Mad Max survivors. Just make sure you've stocked up enough leather pants to complete the look.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:07 am 
2012 Elder

actually i was thinking of wearing day-glow green spandex shorts and a scuba mask for that. :D

but i guess ash would make a good face paint :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:26 am 
Valued 2012er

pixie11 wrote:
actually i was thinking of wearing day-glow green spandex shorts and a scuba mask for that. :D

but i guess ash would make a good face paint :?

it'd also be a fine exfoliant, much akin to a facial scrub. 'gotta have smooth skin for those post-apocalyptic heinas.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]