It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Abandoned Bunkers and Shelters
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:30 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

This world is littered with thousands of bunkers and bomb shelters that were left from World War II and the Cold War era. I came to this new idea after seeing all my other options canceled from a low budget. So the two options I have is travel and keep traveling, and while traveling finding the best one of these artifacts suited to my needs.
You can find these places is places such as Flickr and DeviantArt, because they are kind of hard to find on google.
And squatting isn't a new practice for me, I've been traveling america for the past couple of years squatting in abandoned buildings, factories, and schools, and it's a very enjoyable hobby. It might be a problem to new comers to the idea, and people who can't bring themselves to break laws. But most the time it is completely legal to settle on these structures, even possibly doing Adverse possession, making the property yours. Alot of these structures are open to the public, hobos, graffiti artist, so it's no real problem if that's the worry.
The Up sides to the this is that these structures were built by the government and large companies, making these structures very strong and durable. It could even cost anywhere from a few hundred thousand to a few million to duplicate alot of these structures, that now lay with no purpose. So why not us them?
My next traveling experience after saving a few thousand will be traveling america and finding everyone I can, and I might even post pictures and info of each on here, in case other people need to use that information. The best choics for area so far or mid-america and mid and west canada. I hope to explore it all.
I would even love to set up a community of sooner or later, or if anyone wants to join in on the idea.
Plus it's just a fun past time to explore these huge bunkers, fallout shelters, missile silos, etc.
But there is always things to worry about when you found one to settle in. It's probably best not to make it a long time home, until right before TSHTF, to keep people from being suspicious and/or paranoid.
And these places are sometimes very unhealthful to live in: bacteria, mold, stagnate air, setting water.
So once yo found one, clean it up as much as you can. I will even be setting up green power supply, such as wind turbine generators and solar panels.
-Skyler

Post subject: Re: Abandoned Bunkers and Shelters
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Great idea!

For Aussie's there is this site:
http://www.australianbunkerproject.com/

And WorldWide:
http://www.showcaves.com/english/explai ... index.html

Why not find out the nearest real bunker / tunnel / underground carpark to where you live/work, so if you have little time, at least you can get to somewhere underground quickly...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:12 am 
Superstar Contributor

Nuclear Survival Skills is a somewhat related document from the U.S Department of Energy for.. you guessed it! Surviving nuclear fallout.

http://www.nukepills.com/docs/nuclear_w ... skills.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:33 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

please post any locations of you know any of these exact things around you or where you live.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 am 
Valued 2012er

r3lyks,
:lol: :lol: Wouldn't you like to know? If anyone finds such a place I would suggest you use IM and not the open forum. More to the point check old military bases for ammo bunkers. I have found several of these but they exist too far from me to do any good. Only problem is most ammo bunkers are shielded on three sides only, and they have only one way in and out unless you can use a top blow out vent and adapt it as an enterance. However I did find an old SAC 'ready bunker', that is three stories under ground. And yes it has a problem with water infilteration and mold. Too bad. With a little money and conviction a comunity could use this one quite nicely. Yet again I'm not telling where this bunker exists unless you have deep pockets to refurbish the joint! 8)
Cheers, Mechanic Dutch

"Be open to truth, from whatever source it comes.." Old Quaker saying
"In extraordinary times, there are no ordinary lives" Ken Burns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 am 
2012 Elder

That is a truly awesome idea. I like your thinking.
Although I agree, some locations, especially wherever you are should be kept closer the to vest.

regards, Ace

The Oath of the Paladin #10. Thou shalt always Be the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
宣誓的帕拉丁# 10 。你应该永远是冠军的权利和良好的反对非正义和邪恶。

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]