It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Please Respect Copyright
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:38 am 
Site Admin

Something to keep in mind when posting in the 2012 Forum.

TOTALLY FINE - Quoting part of a news item, article etc, and linking to the source
NOT GOOD - Quoting in full, and not saying where it came from

Basically, anything written by anybody has copyright. There are exceptions, such as when the work is from a long time ago, or "fair use" which often means using portions of someone's work in relation to news and reviews.

When in doubt, use your own words to describe things, and let us know where to find the original.

Read more about the copyright and the web here:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Post subject: Re: Please Respect Copyright
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:58 am 
Superstar Contributor

You're starting to sound like my collage professors :mrgreen:

Rob is right though; I think you should atleast give credit to where you post information from somwhere

The government is not your friend! Will you let them WIPE YOU OUT after the disaster?

Energy Manipulation, Telekinesis, Remote Viewing, Telepathy, etc are possible -- no need for a 'gift' -- and YOU can do it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:50 am 
2012 Elder

refuge wrote:
Rob is right though; I think you should atleast give credit to where you post information from somwhere

ummm...it's called 'copyright laws', and I'm wary of 'em too.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 am 
2012 Elder

I have actually noticed a bit of this lately (quoting whole articles).
In the past my habit has been to post PART of an article with a link saying "more" that leads to the rest of the article.. then ALSO stating my opinion or questions or point of why I posted it, rather than the article on its own.
I find a number of people take it for granted we all automatically understand the point of why they have posted and have expectations on what we will post in response. Then when you don't do this, they get snappy!

From the perspective of the site that originally posted the article, for people to post the whole thing here (for instance) and no one needs to go to the actual original site, that site gets no "hits" and no credit for the article the poster has liked so much to have made a thread about. It is not very respectful to the original site and can also cost them revenue that they may very well rely on to fund their operation.
I'm just sayin'

Not so long ago it used to be very bad form to "hotlink" (linking to the original source of an image you are displaying, rather than uploading the picture your own space) images as well. Although it seems this has become more acceptable now with many free image hosting sites.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 am 
Superstar Contributor

What's wrong with quoting whole articles as long as you link the full source?

Some people like myself don't like having to go to unknown sites just to read something that could be posted here. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Quoting whole articles would be breaking copyright laws. It is no different to photocopying an entire book, and noting on the back page the library that has the original. Or burning a CD and noting that your friend Barry has the original.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:15 am 
2012 Elder

AnotherGeneric wrote:
What's wrong with quoting whole articles as long as you link the full source?

Shine wrote:
From the perspective of the site that originally posted the article, for people to post the whole thing here (for instance) and no one needs to go to the actual original site, that site gets no "hits" and no credit for the article the poster has liked so much to have made a thread about. It is not very respectful to the original site and can also cost them revenue that they may very well rely on to fund their operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:16 am 
2012 Elder

Having said that, I always mouse over the link to see if it is somewhere reputable that I would liek to visit. I don't blindly go about clicking links willy nilly!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:17 am 
Superstar Contributor

It's just news though... it's not a book.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:00 am 
"The Boar" (Moderator)

AnotherGeneric wrote:
Some people like myself don't like having to go to unknown sites just to read something that could be posted here. :?

Is that all you've got to worry about?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:14 am 
Site Admin

If it's just a short news item, I don't personally have a problem with it being quoted in full. One valid reason for doing so is that some news sites don't keep an archive - so any Yahoo news item you link to will be gone after 7 days.

Having said that, news services still need to make a buck, and every time someone reads a story somewhere other than their site or newspaper, they miss out on potential revenue. So perhaps click on an ad before copy'n'pasting ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:37 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Shu wrote:
Is that all you've got to worry about?

The forum not opening new windows when clicking links.
Viewing pleasure of reading it right away and not having to take one more step by clicking a link.

Thought it sounds like pure laziness, it does annoy us. I've seen posts related to those examples I've given. However, since this isn't my site and it's a free service, I really don't have much of a choice.

*adds another rule to the rulebook*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:54 pm 
"The Boar" (Moderator)

Can't you just right click and open the link in a new tab?
I think it's far easier having more tabs in one window than it is having multiple tabs in the task bar, especially when running other programmes which appear there.

Anyway, it’s probably taken you longer to write the above post than it will ever take you in a life time to click infinite links.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:03 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

Personally, I can't stand full articles being posted in threads. I like to have a summary or only the first paragraph or two so I can get the general idea of it, then a link to it.

I also can't stand it when the full article is posted and there is no link. As theres no way i'm going to trust something without a proper source and I'm not going to spend my time looking it up.

I also rarely read the whole article of something as well, no matter what it is.

I always right click and open in a new tab... its a permanent habbit to control my virgo perfection internet browsing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:07 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Yeah, depending upon your browser, but I'm not gonna get into this again. Rules are rules.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next