It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Alternative for searching the forum
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:29 am 
Site Admin

I'm aware that sometimes the built-in search function doesn't work, and that small words are not indexed...

...the good news is that Google is God and indexes this site as well. To find something via Google, just add site:2012forum.com to the search query.

Example:
site:2012forum.com 11:11
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A2 ... om+11%3A11

Post subject: Re: Alternative for searching the forum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:57 pm 
2012 Elder

Quick question:

Sometimes when I am on the main page of the forum and I click the "View new posts" link or the "View your posts" link it tells me that it is not available to use right now.

Does this happen to anyone else? A bug perhaps? Just curious if this was happening to only me or not...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:10 pm 
"The Boar" (Moderator)

Happens to me at least twice a day and it's annoying, as it takes around 5 mins to clear.
I've put it down to far too many people using it at once, which sends it all rickety - a bit like Deja Q.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:20 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Happens alot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:06 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Shu wrote:
I've put it down to far too many people using it at once, which sends it all rickety - a bit like Deja Q.

ROFL! :lol:

You are correct; it has to do with server load. Websites, unless owned and run on a private server computer in their house/business, it is owned by a company which you have to pay monthly or annual fees for. These servers, depending on if you pay for basic to premium, have limitations such as transfer loads, traffic, and space used for the content. Sometimes, the program data gets jumbled up and creates a database error. Most of the issues you see on websites are problems with MySQL and Java. This is because these databases contain modifiable files. Each and every time we post something, the files get modified.

I know this is a lot of technical blah blah blah, but I hope you guys get this gist of it. :wink:

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

The search function is allowed to utilise 90% of the processor load - if it goes beyond that, search is temporarily shut down. Basically, other functions (viewing, posting) get priority over search.

I use a non-cheap virtual server, one step short of a full server ($100+/mo) just for this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:05 am 
2012 Elder

Rob could someone get into your forum and do bad things to it if they had certain information and wanted to? I noticed a question about accessing it and people on here seem to think its a normal question. I didnt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:42 am 
Superstar Contributor

Skeeza wrote:
Quick question:

Sometimes when I am on the main page of the forum and I click the "View new posts" link or the "View your posts" link it tells me that it is not available to use right now.

Does this happen to anyone else? A bug perhaps? Just curious if this was happening to only me or not...

Is there a front page :shock: How do you find the front page ?
Please.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:28 am 
Superstar Contributor

green monkey wrote:
Is there a front page :shock: How do you find the front page ?
Please.

LOL, yes there is.

You can either click on the dragon at the top left corner of this forum, or click on the link "Board Index" placed directly above the Thread Title.

You can also just type http://2012forum.com

But now I'm currious to know, how did you find this forum? Maybe just googled stuff about 2012 or mayans and ran into it?

I, myself, discovered it through google too, but I was directed to his main website first, which linked me to this forum - http://survive2012.com/

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:34 am 
2012 Elder & Moderator

Equinox wrote:
Shu wrote:
...which sends it all rickety - a bit like Deja Q.

ROFL! :lol:
Well, if you guys can't handle a little bit of spice--a little bit a color in your lives, then keep posting over at www.welikethestatusquo.com
:D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:48 am 
Superstar Contributor

Thanks Equinox
I think I just had a monkey moment 8)
umm I'm thick when it comes to puter stuff ! I just clicked the logo and it just goe's to the index page :? So I am not sure what you are all talking about. So the index page is the front page ?
I was thinking I might see some info about the forum or Rob..... but I dont.

My first day on-line I typed 2012 forum in the AOL search thingy :P ...
I cant remember what I saw the first time... but I thought it had info but I never saw it again.

btw... I had the date 2012 in my head for about 10 years before I got to find out what it was all about... I had no idea about the Mayans or any stuff like that .....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:56 am 
Superstar Contributor

Deja Q wrote:
Well, if you guys can't handle a little bit of spice--a little bit a color in your lives, then keep posting over at http://www.welikethestatusquo.com
:D

Wait a min.. that website doesn't work! :shock: :lol: Hehehehe.. you know we love you Deja....

green monkey wrote:
So the index page is the front page ?
I was thinking I might see some info about the forum or Rob..... but I dont..

Well, it's the front page for this forum. But I guess the "main page" would be the survive2012.com page; which is what I think you ran into here:

green monkey wrote:
My first day on-line I typed 2012 forum in the AOL search thingy :P ...
I cant remember what I saw the first time... but I thought it had info but I never saw it again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
green monkey wrote:
btw... I had the date 2012 in my head for about 10 years before I got to find out what it was all about... I had no idea about the Mayans or any stuff like that .....

Same here. My mother used to tell me about the mayan's predicting some sort of dooms day stuff on 2012 when I was younger. Because I was so young, I didn't really understand the importance of it all, nor did I probably care. I was too busy being a little kid. It wasn't until last year when I was starting to take more notice of the crap going on in our world, I was beggining to get interested. So I started searching online and ran into this website :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 am 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

Rob wrote:
The search function is allowed to utilise 90% of the processor load - if it goes beyond that, search is temporarily shut down. Basically, other functions (viewing, posting) get priority over search.

A good way to see how popular the place is getting I think. I don't believe the search engine bots would be using that function? So it must be us commoners.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:17 pm 
Valued 2012er

I have a question about how things work. I was working on a post when I had to leave my computer for a few minutes. Normally I would just walk away, but I noticed a "save" button so I clicked on it. When I came back, I couldn't find a place to access it... can someone tell me where my post went? I've looked under the cushions, and it isn't there... :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

After saving it, next time you go to write a post there will be a LOAD button next to the SAVE button. Use that to load a draft that you saved previously.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next