It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Facts regarding Galactic Alignment in 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

1. The alignment was actually in 1998

...and nothing obvious happened. The leading proponent of the alignment meme, John Major Jenkins, talks about the alignment being in the era of 2012:
http://alignment2012.com/whatisGA.htm

Quote:
The Galactic Alignment is the alignment of the December solstice sun with the Galactic equator. This alignment occurs as a result of the precession of the equinoxes.

Precession is caused by the earth wobbling very slowly on its axis and shifts the position of the equinoxes and solstices one degree every 71.5 years. Because the sun is one-half of a degree wide, it will take the December solstice sun 36 years to precess through the Galactic equator (see diagram below).

The precise alignment of the solstice point (the precise center-point of the body of the sun as viewed from earth) with the Galactic equator was calculated to occur in 1998 (Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels, 1997).

Thus, the Galactic Alignment "zone" is 1998 +/- 18 years = 1980 - 2016. This is "era-2012."

So, yes there is still some alignment in 2012, but it actually peaked in 1998

2. It's an Astrology Thing

Astronomically there is nothing special happening on Dec 21 2012. From a astrophysics viewpoint, there will not be any special alignment that has a gravitational or any other effect on our planet.

Astrologically, if you believe in astrology, the alignment might be of significance, but keep in mind the alignment has been happening since 1980.

Post subject: Re: The Facts regarding Galactic Alignment in 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:59 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Rob wrote:
1. The alignment was actually in 1998

...and nothing obvious happened. The leading proponent of the alignment meme, John Major Jenkins, talks about the alignment being in the era of 2012:
http://alignment2012.com/whatisGA.htm

Quote:
The Galactic Alignment is the alignment of the December solstice sun with the Galactic equator. This alignment occurs as a result of the precession of the equinoxes.

Precession is caused by the earth wobbling very slowly on its axis and shifts the position of the equinoxes and solstices one degree every 71.5 years. Because the sun is one-half of a degree wide, it will take the December solstice sun 36 years to precess through the Galactic equator (see diagram below).

The precise alignment of the solstice point (the precise center-point of the body of the sun as viewed from earth) with the Galactic equator was calculated to occur in 1998 (Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels, 1997).

Thus, the Galactic Alignment "zone" is 1998 +/- 18 years = 1980 - 2016. This is "era-2012."

So, yes there is still some alignment in 2012, but it actually peaked in 1998

2. It's an Astrology Thing

Astronomically there is nothing special happening on Dec 21 2012. From a astrophysics viewpoint, there will not be any special alignment that has a gravitational or any other effect on our planet.

Astrologically, if you believe in astrology, the alignment might be of significance, but keep in mind the alignment has been happening since 1980.

I have heard some thing along those lines before.
But an unexpected comet or planet could make it a whole new ball game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:19 pm 
"The Boar" (Moderator)

I’ve never gone along with the 2012 alignment theory. To me it’s just wishy washy science born out of an alternative theory just for the sheer hell of it, to sell thousands of books. Well, it looks like it worked, most people seem to believe it without even knowing anything about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:46 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

This is an important aspect so I would like to work it out.

You’re talking about the alignment of the December solstice sun with the centre of the galactic equator. And that happened exactly in 1998

Scrolling down to the bottom of the source on alignment2012, it says that the December solstice sun will be sitting in the southern position of the dark rift feature. I wonder if it's this location that's important.

I don't think it's a big deal that when the alignment of the sun occurred in 1998, nothing happened.
This all must be about when something such as the sun or other planets are aligned in a certain position/area during this period, 1980-2016 and from all the information on it, we know it’s most likely to be December 2012.

So this location in the Dark Rift must mean something important if something is to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Del wrote:
Scrolling down to the bottom of the source on alignment2012, it says that the December solstice sun will be sitting in the southern position of the dark rift feature. I wonder if it's this location that's important.

You might really be onto something there!

OH MY GOD!

Maybe Dec 21 2012 is not a disaster day. Maybe it's the day when we need to look along a certain alignment, and we will see the source of our doom, sometime in the future.

Or even, it will show where we all come from - our alien heritage!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:22 pm 
2012 Elder

Del wrote:
This is an important aspect so I would like to work it out.

You’re talking about the alignment of the December solstice sun with the centre of the galactic equator. And that happened exactly in 1998

I don't think it's a big deal that when the alignment of the sun occurred in 1998, nothing happened.
This all must be about when something such as the sun or other planets are aligned in a certain position/area during this period, 1980-2016 and from all the information on it, we know it’s most likely to be December 2012.

So this location in the Dark Rift must mean something important if something is to happen.

Where is this location? Is it a location here on earth or space?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:30 pm 
2012 Elder & Moderator

The Dark Rift is a lane of gas and dust that we see when we look towards the center of the Milky Way. Because we are in the Milky Way, we are looking at a spiral galaxy as seen edge-on. You can see this very clearly with the naked eye in a dark location, away from city lights. It is directly overhead in the summer (northern hemisphere) and appears as a whispy layer of "clouds". It looks like a whispy cloud, even though the sky is cloudless. What you are seeing is the light from hundreds of thousands of stars. When you take a picture with a time lapse camera, it looks like this:

Quote:
What does the center of our Milky Way Galaxy look like? No one knows! It is not possible to see the Galactic center in light our eyes are sensitive to because the thick dust in the plane of our Galaxy obscures it. If one looks in the direction of our Galaxy's center - which is toward the constellation of Sagittarius - many beautiful wonders become apparent, though. The center of the Milky Way is behind the center of the photo. Large dust lanes and star clouds dominate the picture. As many as 30 Messier Objects are visible, including all types of nebula and star clusters. Two notable nebula include the Lagoon Nebula (M8), a small red patch just above center, and slightly above this is the red and blue Trifid Nebula (M20). The lines through picture were caused by airplanes, and the dark objects in the foreground are trees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:41 am 
Valued 2012er

the scientific aspect of the 2012 galatic alignment is nothing special in my opinion it has to do with astrological events in which the sun will rise in the 13th constelation of ophucus. nostradamus predicts that mankind will reveal his future on this date.we will see our doom or come into the golden age of mankind. i tend to believe we have messed up beyond repair as a civilization....also in regards to the 2012 alignment is special due to the sun rising in the dark rift of the galaxy that happens only every 25,700 years wether this is significant or not only time will tell. maybe forces will act on our soalr system that will have dire effects on the earth this also happends to be the day when the sun is on a solar maximum wether this is significant remais to be seen...in my opinion(if it means much) there is some kind of event to be expected on this day ...if the mayans spent hundreds of years making a calendar and stopped on a certain day its bound to mean something.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:45 am 
"The Boar" (Moderator)

This makes for a good read relating to a 2012 alignment or lack of...

http://www.geocities.com/astrologyages/maya2012.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:04 am 
Valued 2012er

Shu wrote:
This makes for a good read relating to a 2012 alignment or lack of...

http://www.geocities.com/astrologyages/maya2012.htm

just like every other doomsday prophesy there are going to be alot of people claiming that the information the said prophesy is incorrect or invalid. as far as this particular alignment no one can say if the mayans knew something we did not. as far as im concerned this alignment is significant in an astrological standpoint and if nostradamus mentions it im going to be listening(also a matter of opinion). in reality no one can say if 12.21.2012 has any importance at all i guess thats why were posting on this website :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:11 am 
Valued 2012er

i would like to know which theroy of our doomsday shu subscribes to and their reasons for beleving in said prophesy maybe they might sound similar???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:18 am 
Superstar Contributor

amarahsdaddy wrote:
i would like to know which theroy of our doomsday shu subscribes to and their reasons for beleving in said prophesy maybe they might sound similar???

Shu's doomsday isnt until the year 2929...........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:04 pm 
Very 2012esque

If it peaked in the 80's or something, there has to be something else that's going to be happening.

-evil frown- xD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:52 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

shadow wrote:
If it peaked in the 80's or something, there has to be something else that's going to be happening.

It wasn't a peak, and it was 1998. The alignment of the December solstice sun with the centre of the galactic equator happened at that exact date.

It's about where everything is at that time in 2012, the dark rift. Check out Deja Q's post and my one above that somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:54 pm 
2012 Elder

Blah.

Last edited by Guy Faux on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next