It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: TWO Unusual Stars(?) - Western and Eastern Skies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

hello everyone. i am hoping someone on this forum might have an answer for me because i have yet to find any explanation as to what i am seeing. i learned people have been seeing these for at least a couple years now based on the dates of some youtube videos i watched.

for the past few nights, just after sun down, i noticed two very bright "stars," the first one in the west and the second in the east/northeast. i am observing these objects from the central united states. these objects appear very bright in the sky and twinkle, however, they are different from other stars in that they emanate all sorts of colors including red, blue, green and white as i have seen through my cheap binoculars. also, they appear to change shape at times, but that part is debatable, as i could be experiencing the effects of failing vision.

the first "star" appears in the western skies after sunset and is visible in the sky for about an hour and a half until it sets. shortly after the western object sets, another one becomes visible in the east/northeastern sky. the two objects are seemingly identical. two nights ago, i used stellarium to try and identify the object in the east/northeastern sky and thought i had positively identified it as a very bright star, capella, located in the constellation auriga. however, i searched for images of capella on google and found it to look nothing like the object(s) in question. i also ruled it out as being jupiter because i could clearly see it south of the questionable object. i even proved to myself it was not jupiter by identifying the planet with my binoculars (even saw the planet's moons) and also confirmed its location via stellarium.

i searched youtube to see if others have seen these objects and found quite a few videos. the people who uploaded videos are just as perplexed as i am as to what it is. this video is a very good match as to what i am seeing.

[YouTube]http://youtu.be/4f6OaNVPJiQ[/YouTube]

i look forward to seeing what responses i get about these mystery objects. perhaps they are a type of star or other celestial body i am not familiar with, but, it would appear that google sky and stellarium are also not familiar with them, either. :?:

thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: TWO Unusual Stars(?) - Western and Eastern Skies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

i thought i followed the instructions on how to post a youtube video where it would embed in my post, but, apparently i did something wrong despite how easy the instructions were. :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:42 pm 
2012 Elder

Your link didn't work because it is "youtu.be" but if you copy and paste the link, it directs you to the proper website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f6OaNVP ... e=youtu.be Someone's budgie is squawkin' away in the video haha ,cute.

I have just been thinking to myself that I need to learn how to identify the stars in the sky more than I can now, so I am certainly no expert in this one .. but, the twinkling of stars (and their colors) are a result of the way the light is being refracted by Earth's atmosphere. I uh, sort of wonder if magnetics affects it too, building on a hunch.

Interestingly enough I have had this website pulled up on my cell phone for when I go out and smoke, because I tend to do more craning my head towards the sky instead of actual smoking when it's clear out. Useful, with not too many stars so the newbies such as me don't get confused haha: http://skymaps.com/downloads.html

Autumn approaches in one week, so it must be considered that we are seeing the different stars of the season. Transition time.

By the way calendula is one of my most favorite little fleurs out there.. I like you already.

I feel like this isn't a productive post, sorry. do you think you are seeing planets or stars?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm 
Superstar Contributor

I have been working nights for 15 years now and just last year I noticed a particular bright star that is visible in the east. It remains brighter than any star and from where I am (in the midwest US) As the night progresses, it moves very slowly across the sky. I have no idea of what it is, but sometimes it is the only star that I can see. I am not saying that it shouldn't be there or is anything odd, but I have wondered about it for the past two years. At first I thought that it was a comet. And I was a bit timid about asking such a seemingly silly question of members who know the night sky better than I know the layout of my house.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

djhyperspace wrote:
Your link didn't work because it is "youtu.be" but if you copy and paste the link, it directs you to the proper website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f6OaNVP ... e=youtu.be Someone's budgie is squawkin' away in the video haha ,cute.

I have just been thinking to myself that I need to learn how to identify the stars in the sky more than I can now, so I am certainly no expert in this one .. but, the twinkling of stars (and their colors) are a result of the way the light is being refracted by Earth's atmosphere. I uh, sort of wonder if magnetics affects it too, building on a hunch.

Interestingly enough I have had this website pulled up on my cell phone for when I go out and smoke, because I tend to do more craning my head towards the sky instead of actual smoking when it's clear out. Useful, with not too many stars so the newbies such as me don't get confused haha: http://skymaps.com/downloads.html

Autumn approaches in one week, so it must be considered that we are seeing the different stars of the season. Transition time.

By the way calendula is one of my most favorite little fleurs out there.. I like you already.

I feel like this isn't a productive post, sorry. do you think you are seeing planets or stars?

thanks for the info on how to post youtube videos. i can't say for sure what i am seeing. from the naked eye, they look like very bright stars most definitely. but, when i look through binoculars and play around with the zoom, i don't recognize them as planets or stars. sometimes, it appears they move, albeit quick back and forth motions, not long distances. also, like i said, i *think* i see them change shapes. both the movement and shape changing are highly debatable because my eye sight could be failing me. if you watch that video, you will of course see related videos of the same objects on youtube. i have not looked at the actual dates each related video was uploaded, but, since they all look like what i am witnessing, my first instinct is to rule out the changing of seasons influencing what i am seeing. also, since i don't find these on stellarium (but i am a newbie to that program), i am left with only questions.

calendulas are beautiful. i came up with the username as i was planning my garden last spring. and, i can't help but notice your username...are you a dj? well, so am i. i matched your deviation from the topic at hand and raised you one. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Thats really strange because Ive been seeing a star just lately that pops up as the moon comes out & sort of follows it really close below from the East......... :roll: I posted somewhere here a little while back about the star I saw...........Its not there every night (Neither is the moon) but Im noticing it more regually now.............Very strange.......... :? X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 pm 
2012 Elder

Vik, that is Venus, I believe, depending on where it is in location to the moon. I have seen it very close to the moon, almost hugging the crescent, and sometimes further away, like the photo below. Always below. I remember seeing it once on my way to a previous job when I would have to begin watering the nursery at 4am and for some reason, it gave me these incredible chills.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

vikkiplum wrote:
Thats really strange because Ive been seeing a star just lately that pops up as the moon comes out & sort of follows it really close below from the East......... :roll: I posted somewhere here a little while back about the star I saw...........Its not there every night (Neither is the moon) but Im noticing it more regually now.............Very strange.......... :? X

i think you are seeing the same thing as i am. try looking to the west tonight for an identical object just after the sun sets. it will be very bright and south of the big dipper. then, once it sets (it is far more noticeable as it gets closer to the horizon), wait a half an hour and look for the other "star" you noticed already in the eastern skies. let me know if you see the similarities.

cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:21 am 
Brand New Here

These two stars are Poganghoya and Palonghoya of the hopi prophecy

all explained here ...

http://vimeo.com/27240681

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:14 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Venus is really close to the Sun right now, as well as Mercury. Mercury should set just prior to the Sun, and therefore probably not visible. Venus should remain just a bit after sunset. Mars has been rising in the East-Northeast. All three planets being so close to the horizon can become magnified and distorted by the curvature of the atmosphere. This can actually be handy if one has a descent telescope at their disposal. (which I have) This effect also affects stars rising/setting near the horizon. We notice this sometimes when we have a full moon rising that seems to be disproportionally large, and slightly discolored. Now even though I have a convienient telescope available, I don't have a convenient horizon to the East which I could use to verify the object in question. I do have one nearby which faces west and will look into this Friday evening.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 am 
Superstar Contributor

Jupiter has been big and bright in the sky at night lately, looking East, two dim stares above it making a triangle, but Jupiter being a planet does not blink like a star, just a bright whitish ball

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:51 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Update to my last post...
Currently, three planets are occupying the westerly sky, in close proximity, relative to our view from the Earth. Mercury, Venus and Saturn all should be visible a just little while after sunset. Right now, and probably for a week or so, Venus and Saturn will appear to be nearly on top of one-another. Mercury, should be just a little closer to the horizon, and slightly to the right. This is what an astrologer would call a conjunction, although I'm not an astrologer. (I hear a "School House Rock" song in the distance) Even though these planets have vast differences relating to their distance from the sun, it does illustrate how the planets are on a similar orbital plane. ( I know I'm acting like Captain Obvious :mrgreen: )
As far as the northeasterly star, I still think you are probably seeing Mars. Jupiter is rising t the horizon just slightly north of the east cardinal compass point. As night progresses, it will appear to arc across the sky moving south of "straight-up." This could be about 5-10 degrees, but I have never actually measured this effect. I have just observed it by eyeball. Uranus rises almost exactly east but not visible to the unaided eye. Mars is the only planet left which would be rising at the horizon, in the northeast region of the sky, and still be bright enough to appear to be a recent anomaly. However, I would need to actually see what you are seeing and exactly when, to help identify it. It can be difficult to identify something just above the horizon because of the optical properties of the atmosphere. Like when one sees the sun at noon, it is usually appears to be 6-8 times smaller than when viewing it at sunrise, or sunset. Our atmosphere acts like a concave magnifying lens when viewing objects near the horizon. Now, I'm not trying to disprove anything anyone has prophesized, or any of the alternatives some of our esteemed members have offered. I simply try to get facts which should in this case, be readily apparent anywhere in the northern hemisphere. :) If this is some new object, I would be interested in viewing it as well. I hope all this helps you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:51 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

i did a lot of research on this topic and stumbled across this blog http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2011/09/04/why-stars-twinkle-and-sputter-in-color/. this explanation shed some "light" on my query.

cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:23 pm 
Very 2012esque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=eHN4-FkQzus

this video recalls a "blue" star that is the begining of the end, at about 1hr 5min give or take a few min

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:04 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Hello Calendula.....I too have been watching and photographing these star like objects in the west and east over Washington State...........today is your lucky day.........these are space craft which create illusions of various designs, more than likely of alien origin. Is great to hear of someone else who has seen these heavenly objects which I term "sky serpents" as the majority of the designs I have photographed are of serpents.....they appeared with comet Elenin along with a lot more than you might expect. I have a teasure trove of photos of heavely objects in the night sky and some in the daytime........mostly of the "sky serpents" of whidh now there are two in view........one in the west and one in the east toward the southern skies! They're back! :D
I tried to upload a few photos but mine are too large..........would be a good idea if you still have these two star like out of place objects in view to take a few photos then enlarge ........see exactly what your looking at....WOW....... you'll be amazed!
What exactly these space craft are doing I'm not sure.....they are incomimg from space outside of earth's atmosphere. According to Hopi Blue Star Kachina/ Red Star Kachina prophecy: two brothers where to come with the Blue Star Kachina to help change the Earth's rotation back to clockwise and this might be the two brothers as my first sighting of the one was on 23 Sept 2011 along with comet Elenin in the night sky over Washington State. I know from your description that you and I are viewing the same heavenly phenomenon.........two bright star-like out of place objects that continually change their look one in the west and one in the east.........seen in the night sky or last rays of sunlight as of lately. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next