It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ancient Aliens - The Series?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 am 
Superstar Contributor

Be careful, the spin masters are slick. lsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 am 
Very 2012esque

Tsoukalos and the other "Ancient Astronaut Theorists" come off in these shows as a bunch of morons. Anyone with a basic historical background of the ancient world can instantly see these people are full of crap. South Park did a hilarious spoof of this show, and History Channel in general. Anyone who hasn't seen it, really should. For the garbage they produce, they ought to be sued for just using the name "History Channel".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:20 am 
Superstar Contributor

upagainstit wrote:
Learned a new word IMMORAL from that video.

Immoral used in the sense of BOTH good and bad qualities IN oneself.

The Archons mentioned in the video rate for a closer look.
Something like they "feed-on" the Human world around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:39 am 
Superstar Contributor

Somewhat of an introduction to the Archons:

Other videos about Archons on YouTube as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:15 am 
Superstar Contributor

Draconic Chronicler wrote:
Tsoukalos and the other "Ancient Astronaut Theorists" come off in these shows as a bunch of morons. Anyone with a basic historical background of the ancient world can instantly see these people are full of crap. South Park did a hilarious spoof of this show, and History Channel in general. Anyone who hasn't seen it, really should. For the garbage they produce, they ought to be sued for just using the name "History Channel".

Disagree....

I like Ancient Aliens and watch it when ever I can. It's food for thought foremost...and brings up ideas/conclusions and presents information that to me at least is often new. I just wish someone would get Tsoukalos a comb and a tube of hair gel.

My Blog Is At: http://trollmongo.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:25 pm 
2012 Elder

Amusing article on the series:

Quote:
The Idiocy, Fabrications and Lies of Ancient Aliens

Until now, I have assiduously avoided Ancient Aliens. I had a feeling that if I watched the show—which popularizes far-fetched, evidence-free idiocy about how human history has been molded by extra-terrestrial visitors—my brain would jostle its way out of my skull and stalk the earth in search of a kinder host. Or, at the very least, watching the show would kill about as many brain cells as a weekend bender in Las Vegas. But then I heard the History Channel’s slurry of pseudoscience had taken on dinosaurs. I steeled myself for the pain and watched the mind-melting madness unfold.

I’m actually glad that my editors don’t allow me to cuss a blue streak on this blog. If they did, my entire review would be little more than a string of expletives. Given my restrictions, I have little choice but to try to encapsulate the shiny, documentary-format rubbish in a more coherent and reader-sensitive way.

The episode is what you would get if you dropped some creationist propaganda, Erich von Däniken’s Chariots of the Gods and stock footage from Jurassic Fight Club into a blender. What results is a slimy and incomprehensible mixture of idle speculation and outright fabrications which pit the enthusiastic “ancient alien theorists,” as the narrator generously calls them, against “mainstream science.” I would say “You can’t make this stuff up,” but I have a feeling that that is exactly what most of the show’s personalities were doing.

There was so much wrong with the Ancient Aliens episode that I could spend all week trying to counteract every incorrect assertion. This is a common technique among cranks and self-appointed challengers of science; it is called Gish Gallop after young earth creationist Duane Gish. When giving public presentations about evolution and creationism, Gish rapidly spouted off a series of misinterpretations and falsehoods to bury his opponent under an avalanche of fictions and distortions. If Gish’s opponent tried to dig themselves out, they would never be able to make enough progress to free themselves to take on Gish directly. Ancient Aliens uses the same tactic—the fictions come fast and furious.

While the main point of the episode is that aliens exterminated dinosaurs to make way for our species—a sci-fi scenario accompanied by some hilarious, mashed-together footage of dinosaurs fleeing from strafing alien craft, perhaps a preview of Dinosaurs vs. Aliens the movie—the various ancient alien experts do little more than assert that such an event must have happened. Surprise, surprise, they provide no actual evidence for their claims. Instead, they borrow evidence for fundamentalist Christians, who are never actually identified as such. Creationist Michael Cremo is identified only as the author of Forbidden Archeology, and Willie E. Dye is credited as a biblical archaeologist without any mention of his young earth creationist views. Ancient Aliens producers clearly did not care about the credentials or expertise of the talking heads they employed—just so long as someone said the right things in front of the camera.

And the creationists didn’t disappoint. About halfway through the program, Cremo says, “Some researchers found human footprints alongside the footprints of dinosaurs.” The quote is a line out of context from Cremo’s interview, but is played in a section claiming that American Museum of Natural History paleontologist Roland T. Bird found human footprints associated with dinosaur trackways in the vicinity of Glen Rose, Texas.

Bird didn’t find any such thing. He found many dinosaur footprints and trackways—one of which he and his crew partially excavated and anachronistically placed behind the AMNH’s “Brontosaurus“—but no human tracks. Strangely, though, hoaxed human tracks did have a role to play in Bird’s decision to initially visit the tracksites.

Bird wasn’t the first person to notice the dinosaur tracks, and selling the sauropod and theropod tracks was a cottage industry in the vicinity of Glen Rose. And a few local people carved fake human tracks in the same stone. Bird actually saw a pair of such forgeries at a trading post in Gallup, New Mexico, along with dinosaur tracks removed from the Glen Rose area, shortly before he left to investigate the site himself.

Bird wasn’t fooled by the fakes. He saw them for what they were, and was much more interested in the real dinosaur tracks imprinted in the same stone. But some creationists, blinded by dogma, have put their faith behind fakes and even dinosaur tracks that they have misinterpreted as being human footprints....

....Dye takes up the standard creationist line that humans and dinosaurs coexisted and reappears a little later in the episode to throw his support to a different icon of creationist nonsense—the Ica stones from Peru. These famous fakes are stones engraved with images of dinosaurs and humans interacting. They were created by farmer Basilio Uschuya and his wife, using pop culture depictions of dinosaurs in books as their guides. Despite this, both Dye and the Ancient Aliens program present the stones as if they were authentic ancient artifacts that record the survival of dinosaurs such as Triceratops to almost the present day. Dye says that ancient people must have known a lot about dinosaurs because the stones are engraved so precisely, even though we know that precision came from Uschuya copying mid-20th century dinosaur art so carefully. Our narrator says that scientists are skeptical about the origin of the stones, but nothing more.

....Ancient Aliens is some of the most noxious sludge in television’s bottomless chum bucket. Actual experts are brought in to deliver sound bites that are twisted and taken out of context while fanatics are given free reign. Fiction is presented as fact, and real scientific research is so grossly misrepresented that I can only conclude that the program is actively lying to viewers. To present the show as a documentary, on a non-fiction network, is a loathsome move by the History Channel spinoff. (Technically, Ancient Aliens airs on an offshoot of the History Channel called H2.) If the network and the show’s creators want to present Ancient Aliens as a light survey of fringe ideas and make it clear that the ideas aren’t meant to be taken seriously, I can’t quarrel with that. But Ancient Aliens and shows like it winnow away at actual scientific understanding by promoting absolute dreck. Ancient Aliens is worse than bad television. The program shows a sheer contempt for science and what we really know about nature.

full article: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosau ... nt-aliens/

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:27 pm 
2012 Elder

double post due to incredibly slow posting time....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:35 am 
Superstar Contributor

I am to believe it is possible that most of the flying machines were from Atlantis...Why would peoples of that time write about stuff that did not happen on stone tablets?...Written history that is accepted today only goes back so far...Many many times when a country or peoples were concurred they came in and burned everything...all the living history of the people...So naturally there is a huge gap in historical knowledge...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:13 pm 
Very 2012esque

sisu wrote:
I hate the show because that idiot Giorgio Tsoukalos makes outrageous leaps in logic that I would expect only from a small school child.

they need him on the show to give perspective. you cant have a show full of people that make sense, or it would be weird. they have to have that balance of that NUT.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:08 pm 
Very 2012esque

sisu wrote:
.... Giorgio Tsoukalos makes outrageous leaps in logic that I would expect only from a small school child, "if A happened then obviously the only explanation can be aliens".

Ha ha! I agree - he is quite a goofball. And to be honest, I think he has a parasitic alien hiding on his head - it's the only explanation for hair like that! Lol.

I too think that often times, they jump to conclusions way too quickly, particularly him. But then the show is meant to be entertaining, and I actually look forward to seeing him more than anyone else each episode because - well, he's entertaining! And as someone else said, they do show a lot of wonderful archeological sites, they do have some actual scientists on the show who add some rationality and reason, and they do present information that may not get presented anywhere else on tv.

Another person I have really enjoyed listening to on the show is the guy from the Joseph Campbell foundation (?). I can't remember his name, but he almost always wears a purplish or maroon colored suit. I love the insight into mythology, archetypes and the history of those that he gives.

I enjoy the show, and just like the old show (which I also used to LOVE) from the late 70's "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy, I take it all with a grain of salt, realizing that every once and again, there just might be something to what they are saying.

Many Blessings,

QuanKev

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:01 pm 
2012 Elder & Moderator

I agree, Kev.

All too often they jump to conclusions which are not supported by the evidence. But some of the evidence is actually really amazing...like the show on Puma Punku.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 pm 
Very 2012esque

Deja Q wrote:
I agree, Kev.

All too often they jump to conclusions which are not supported by the evidence. But some of the evidence is actually really amazing...like the show on Puma Punku.

Yes DQ, I agree - the Puma Punku epsiode was mind-blowing. I mean the precision with which those stones were carved, the straightness of the lines and exactness of the circles really defies any logical explanation that historians or skeptics can currently offer.

The whole part about it being a UFO runway - well, that was a WEE bit speculative to say the least. But I really loved seeing the actual sight and the stones up so close. Absolutely fascinating and created a lot more questions than answers : )

Many Blessings,

QuanKev

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2