It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Floating rubbish dump 'bigger than US'
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Patrick D. wrote:
It all boils down to this. A snack company put its product in a completely bio-degradable bag. Good thing you would think huh? Well people did not like the noise the bag made so they cried to the company. Well the company caved in and changed back to the polluting bag that helps destroy our earth. THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR SOCIETY. PERIOD. Nothing more needs to be said.

Didn't like the sound the bag made??? WTF?
That is completely nuts, and I would say " If you don't like it, DON'T EAT OUR SNACKS!"

We humans (as a whole) are a very spoiled and stupid ppl!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Ogmios wrote:
If it's 90% plastic, and most of that 90% is made up of the sources identified, then it has the potential to be recycled. Plastic bottles can be woven into fabrics, compressed into solid forms, etc.

I was thinking about the Pacific Gyre dump this weekend. I thought about the potential of building a ship with the ability to recycle these articles on board. From a hippie-saving-the-earth standpoint, you could be seen as saving the ocean. From a commercial standpoint, you could charge a premium to those bleeding-heart hippies for your recycled product.

Anyone wanna start a fun afternoon project with me? :)

A recycling ship would be an exellent idea, and we could start by using recycled materials to build it! I am a blleding heart hippie who wished I could make big$$$ off an idea such as this!!! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm 
2012 Elder & Leg-Shortener

Patrick D. wrote:
It all boils down to this. A snack company put its product in a completely bio-degradable bag. Good thing you would think huh? Well people did not like the noise the bag made so they cried to the company. Well the company caved in and changed back to the polluting bag that helps destroy our earth. THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR SOCIETY. PERIOD. Nothing more needs to be said.

Frito Lay is owned by PepsiCo, and their only concern is that people buy their products. It would seem, from looking at their past behavior, that they feel the package, not the product, is what sells the product.

What I understand about this particular incident is that the packaging engineers developed a coating for the bag that dampens the sound. Not sure what the effect of the coating is, but it may still be biodegradable.

...the bags were really, unbelievably loud. Not that that should make it ok to go back to shitty packaging, but it was kinda like "Wow, how is that even possible?"

foksipayne wrote:
A recycling ship would be an exellent idea, and we could start by using recycled materials to build it! I am a blleding heart hippie who wished I could make big$$$ off an idea such as this!!! 8)

I'm a bleeding-heart hippie, too. :D Profit margins wouldn't be huge, but if you could really perfect the process I'd bet that you could make money off of it. Honestly, if you couldn't there wouldn't be anyone selling recycled products in the world.

Seismic and Volcano Monitoring - Pacific NW
Non-Hybrid Seeds
NOAA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:17 pm 
Superstar Contributor

sure..where do I start?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:12 pm 
2012 Apologist

Start at the beginning and when you get to the end ...stop :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:23 pm 
Superstar Contributor

From Kanaloa in Nov of 2009:

Quote:
I'm expecting that we will see a big die off of fish, birds and whales in the near future just from the obvious effect of this pollution but it could be causing a bigger problem. I don't know all the science behind it but I have heard that as the plastic photo degrades, it releases some chemicals. These chemicals have been shown to kill off phytoplankton which is the base of the food chain. Besides that, phytoplankton in the oceans and waterways of the world absorbs Co2 and gives off oxygen. Some research suggests that 50-70% of our oxygen comes from these little guys.
I would list this as one of the biggest man made threats to the planet and one of the easiest ones to do something about.

Hrm... seems to me we HAVE been seeing big die offs, yes?

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change.. Delicious ambiguity.
Gilda Radner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 am 
Superstar Contributor

Plenty of large scale die off's of fish, birds, crabs, problems with Dolphins and other cetaceans stillbirthing. The crops dying suddenly, (The Monstersanto crops that is in 75% of our processed foods) So, yeah, plenty if happening that is not in the mainstream as much so to avoid "problems" with the masses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 am 
2012 Apologist

You do know that the Pacific Gyre is not a product of the pollution, right? The gyre is a phenomenon of oceanic currents that swirls around the mid-Pacific. It gathers whatever floating debris it catches in those currents and having no place to go, will just sit there until it decays, decomposes or is recycled by the local marine life. The Gyre is the ocean's equivalent of a desert. There arent much life to begin with in the gyre. Since there isnt a huge formation of krill or plankton, there are no schools of bait fish swimming there and since there are no bait fish, there are no game fish either. Its a watery desert. I pointed out that some of the garbage floating there are used by smaller fish as a safe haven. In that, the garbage is a positive. Most of the water is littered with confetti sized plastic bits and some larger animals get a lot of it in their digestive systems (which they can also poop out!) Having not much food, they tend to be malnourished anyway so there is no data supporting the fact that the garbage is making them malnourished.

....The Sahara is the size of the USA, no one is saying it is the source of the end of the world. I'm pretty sure theres a lot of garbage buried in the sands if anyone even thought of making that survey.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 am 
Superstar Contributor

There is the Pacific Gyre, Atlantic gyre, South Atlantic Gyre, Indian Ocean Gyre and a smaller South-Pacific/Antarctic gyre.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 am 
Superstar Contributor

Ogmios wrote:
foksipayne wrote:

I'm a bleeding-heart hippie, too. :D Profit margins wouldn't be huge, but if you could really perfect the process I'd bet that you could make money off of it. Honestly, if you couldn't there wouldn't be anyone selling recycled products in the world.

You'd need a fleet of ships. I doubt any business would fund it, to be honest.

Shame, 'cos I'd love to see that mess cleared up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:25 pm 
2012 Apologist

Just send robot ships. Let them float around scooping and filtering the waters in the gyre. If you make the robot ships wind and solar powered, you wont need to refuel them and they can stay for months without maintenance until they are full and in which case they can rendezvous with a dump ship so we can take the plastic back to land and recycle. Start with one and keep making them until they start becoming a navigational hazard.

...of course after the Japanese Tsunami, there might be more financial incentives to get stuff out....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:45 pm 
Very 2012esque

XSlayerALE wrote:
Start at the beginning and when you get to the end ...stop :mrgreen:

You don't think that 2012 is that end .... naw couldn't be, no way ...all this shits gonna go on for ever, right? Isn't it?

Take the Red pill.

B.S.* ~ Belief Systems and other mystical mumbo jumbo of divine import....you know, all that crap you believe in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 pm 
2012 Apologist

If the world is found righteous, then on 2012, there will be a profound global enlightenment. If the world is found wanting, then the end comes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:19 pm 
Very 2012esque

XSlayerALE wrote:
If the world is found righteous, then on 2012, there will be a profound global enlightenment. If the world is found wanting, then the end comes.

Righteous. Righteous!

Well gee thats a novel concept...ummm who or what determines this "righteousess" and where do you come by this information? It wouldn't be your old Sunday school would it? Naw...dragons be smarter than to buy into that fundamentalist stuff...aren't they?

Tell you what...we need a survey here...lets judge ourselves...see if we be righteous enough. Anybody here know how to set up a survey on this forum?

blessings

Take the Red pill.

B.S.* ~ Belief Systems and other mystical mumbo jumbo of divine import....you know, all that crap you believe in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 pm 
2012 Apologist

duh padma wrote:
Well gee thats a novel concept...ummm who or what determines this "righteousess" and where do you come by this information?

uhh.... my survey seems to indicate a confluence of natural and man made global disasters. So intuitively, I surmised that in the very near future (since a lot of people will focus their attention to the date 2012) a natural disaster will gather our attention and how we react to the impending doom is how mankind will judge itself worthy or not.

Evil is to harm man
The ultimate evil is to allow man to destroy themselves.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3