It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Live fish and turtles sealed inside plastic key chains
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:33 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Quote:
As live fish and turtles sealed in small key rings have become an increasingly popular trinkets sold at subway entrances and train stations, animal protection groups are advocating an immediate ban, calling the item an example of "pure animal abuse."
However, there is no existing animal protection law that would prevent their sales, explain animal rights groups.
At the Sihui subway station C entrance, one vendor hawked such rings.
Filled with colored water, each 7centimeterlong key ring encapsulated either one Brazil turtle or two small kingfish.
"The water in the key ring has 'nutrients'," claimed the vendor. "They can live for months inside there."
Business was looking good Tuesday afternoon as one fish and nine turtle rings sold within five minutes.
"I'll hang it in my office, it looks nice and brings good luck, " a man in his 30s said after buying a turtle key ring.
"I bought one to free it. It looks so miserable," a woman told the Global Times.
According to Mary Peng, cofounder of the International Center for Veterinary Services, fish and turtles wouldn't survive very long in a sealed plastic bag. "They would run out of oxygen," Peng said.

Animal protection groups are voicing strong opposition to the key ring sales.
"To put a living thing inside a sealed and confined space for profit is immoral and pure animal abuse," said Qin Xiaona, director of the NGO Capital Animal Welfare Association.
However, "China only has a Wild Animal Protection Law," Qin explained. "If the animals are not wild animals they fall outside the law's scope."
"If an animal protection law is too much to hope for, we urgently need an antianimal abuse law," Qin said, appealing to citizens not to buy such key rings. "If nobody buys it, the market will die," she added.

Disgusting! :evil:

Post subject: Re: Live fish and turtles sealed inside plastic key chains
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:16 pm 
Very 2012esque

Wow that's horrible...I've owned turtles before and they need room to swim!!! This reminds me of the aqua babies I've seen them selling in the malls around Christmas time(in Canada). They sell fancy guppies and aquatic frogs in horrible small plastic tanks. These tanks are bigger then keychains..so I can only imagine those poor fish and turtles stuck in a small keychain....geesh!!!

Attachments:
aquababies.jpg
aquababies.jpg [ 33.07 KiB | Viewed 1989 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:13 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Wow. Can we call ourselves human if we take humane out of the equation? Horrible business, you know?

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change.. Delicious ambiguity.
Gilda Radner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:42 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Sickening. I recieve life fish and turtles as my job. Goldfish cant live in a bowl for more than a few weeks let alone a keychain. Turtles need atleast a 20 gallon long aquarium with a dock to climb out of water and a hea lamp with uv rays for psychological development and proper calcium levels. Goldfish are the messiest fish and produce the most ammonia which is suicide for a fish in a keychain. Why would you want a dead goldfish in a keychain...fckin nasty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

I hate that....

Reminds me of a show my friend told me about...a cooking show where they had live shrimp on a plate and they were told to eat them.....that's disgusting too. Eating something when it's alive. That's jsut not right, not funny, not amusing....just wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Hmm.. if those little tiger heads popped off and there was an opening where you could feed it and change its water, or transfer it to a bigger bowl even... then that wouldn't be so bad.
As for eating alive things.. that's a bit extreme. But raw things, and things that were alive only minutes ago- delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

that is so sad... i who would even buy that thinking its nice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:27 am 
Superstar Contributor

suz wrote:
Eating something when it's alive. That's jsut not right, not funny, not amusing....just wrong.

Even plants? What about yoghurt? Or cheese?

This news story doesn't really surprise me, sadly. It's just another reason to dislike China.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:59 am 
Valued 2012er

A great way to get rid of Carp :lol:

Magellan wrote:
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm 
2012 Elder & Moderator

*jumping on soapbox* "shit like this is EXACTLY why Gaia will be kicking us all in the balls very soon ......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:34 pm 
Superstar Contributor

This is pretty nuts. Most definitely abusive to the fish and turtles. I don't really undersatnd how people can look at the fish in those things and not put themselves in the keychain for a minute. Anybody who takes the second to imagine themselves in that situation would know instantsly that it was wrong. I can only imagine the class of people purchasing these things. They must be completelt self absorbed air heads?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 pm 
Superstar Contributor

MM, I think they are just so out of touch with all things natural, that it seems perfectly ok to torture animals this way. You are right. They are airheads. Cruel too. But, if I ever caught someone with one, I would like to think I could be just as cruel, and beat them senseless over the heads with them..

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change.. Delicious ambiguity.
Gilda Radner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:06 am 
Superstar Contributor

:(

"Tesla was the electric Jesus."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:35 am 
Valued 2012er

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look. This will just be a prank (much like the Bonsai kittens).

Magellan wrote:
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:26 pm 
Brand New Here

This is pure evil. The judgment God is bringing on this world is deserved by most and only God's mercy extended to man to get right with Him has delayed it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]