It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3-Mile Underground Bunker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:50 pm 
Very 2012esque

Okay, I know y'all are gonna say "Overkill" or "Plenty" etc. but does anyone know how much radiation you would receive compared to someone on the surface?

If not, any estimates?

Noah.

Post subject: Re: 3-Mile Underground Bunker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 pm 
2012 Elder & Moderator

noah love your persistence young man but if you cant raise 50k you definitely will have a hard time funding or building a 3mile underground bunker....my advice relax a little sir life goes by fast enough without stressing over things we may or may not be able to control....;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:34 pm 
Valued 2012er

I have a bunker, 1/2 mile down

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:02 am 
Very 2012esque

drunkdog wrote:
noah love your persistence young man but if you cant raise 50k you definitely will have a hard time funding or building a 3mile underground bunker....my advice relax a little sir life goes by fast enough without stressing over things we may or may not be able to control....;)

Actually this is in the off chance 2012 doesn't occur. Making one in case of any disaster in the future to make sure humanity, or most of the good ones in it, survive and are able to rebuild.

And I only want to raise $5,000...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:14 am 
Valued 2012er

The New Noah wrote:
drunkdog wrote:

Actually this is in the off chance 2012 doesn't occur. Making one in case of any disaster in the future to make sure humanity, or most of the good ones in it, survive and are able to rebuild.

Ill donate $1 paypal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:19 am 
Very 2012esque

Riches wrote:
Ill donate $1 paypal

No thanks Riches.

If you really are rich, can you donate $1000-$6000?

At a minimum from someone over the Internet I'd want $100.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 am 
Superstar Contributor

Noah, didn't you move down to Florida a couple of months back? Talk about unsafe places to pick! I left Florida 24 years ago, knowing what was coming.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:24 pm 
Very 2012esque

Summerland wrote:
Noah, didn't you move down to Florida a couple of months back? Talk about unsafe places to pick! I left Florida 24 years ago, knowing what was coming.

Nope, still in Texas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:46 pm 
Superstar Contributor

The New Noah wrote:
Summerland wrote:

Nope, still in Texas.

Good! I am not sure how safe Texas will be, but it has to be a whole bunch safer than Florida! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:32 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

The bunker does not have to be all that deep. unless of course its right at ground zero. All the radiation illness will be from the fallout floating around. Way WAAAAY back in the day (20 yrs or so) while in the USMC I was schooled in the fun of predicting fallout patterns and detection of a-z bio/chem agents. Lets just say that for a nuclear war we are all pretty much screwed. no hole is deep enough unless you've created a fully self sustained eco system. BUT! for those of us that are totally fukoshima'd (to early?) the first thing to do is to filter the air you breath. NO GAS MASKS! the dust is radioactive and collects in the filters right around your face, not good. a wet bandanna washed frequently is actually the best believe it or not.
Basically anything that ingests the fallout dust is going to have raised levels of radiation. Initial blast exposure will be dissipated by the atmosphere(10-20 miles if I remember, been a long time) Then its a direct line of site thing where a ditch will let the pulse of radiation pass over you. There will be the initial blast that will blind you if you look into it, then once the O2 is all burned up the blast wave reverses as the "fire" sucks all the air (and trailers parks nearby) back to the center for a re-ignition. this cycle repeats but no real way to tell how many waves back and forth unless you know the bomb and delivery. holywood only gets the initial flash and bang right.
The main types of detonation are aerial (above ground) surface(at ground level) and sub-surface (below ground) each with increasing levels of fallout.
The first, aerial, is the cleanest. 8) It flattens the target and produces little fallout. the concussion is the aim of that type.
The surface type of blast starts to get a little messy with irradiating everything thats vaporized and spreading it to the wind to take to everyone down wind.
The subsurface type produces the most fallout and sends debris higher and in more quantity than the other two kinds of similar yield.
As to the rad counts and what they do to you I cant say off hand since its been so long since I had to do that kind of math.
with the size of what we have and what the soviets made (they werent too concerned with accuracy BTW) I am confident there will be no one worrying about rad counts and fallout patterns. The "OFFICIAL" sizes are no where near what in all probability have been developed.
I'm of the mind that the grid will go down and cause the fan fouling but if it is nukes I'm not going to bother worrying. I really hope it wont be a super bug they've developed that does us in. thats really gonna be nasty to get through and also no way to protect against. I guess that makes me a "gridder" Lol. That will be a blessing. good luck to us all :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:10 pm 
Valued 2012er

The New Noah wrote:
Riches wrote:
Ill donate $1 paypal

No thanks Riches.

If you really are rich, can you donate $1000-$6000?

At a minimum from someone over the Internet I'd want $100.

I revenue $15,000 from my server. Any money left over from Dedi, forums etc, ill see what i have :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:43 pm 
Superstar Contributor

The New Noah wrote:
Summerland wrote:

Nope, still in Texas.

Northeast Texas should be a safe area, the Panhandle of Oklahoma, in that general area. Plus a few other things to consider. Radiation penetrates dirt, wood etc. at different rates. Any bunker under at least 8-10 ft. of earth should be sufficient. And think DOME structures. Very strong easy to build and inexpensive. And Drunk Dog is right "RELAX" have a beer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:49 pm 
Superstar Contributor

The New Noah wrote:
Okay, I know y'all are gonna say "Overkill" or "Plenty" etc. but does anyone know how much radiation you would receive compared to someone on the surface?

If not, any estimates?

Noah.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:04 pm 
Superstar Contributor

The New Noah wrote:
drunk dog wrote:

You can max out credit cards , take out a loan, start a new a new internet scam. Who the hell is going to come after you after the shift, 80% of the worlds population will be dead. The leftovers will go around killing for food , gas, or just because they can. There are 5,000 gang members in Oklahoma alone. Women and children will be the first to be taken advantage of.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 pm 
Valued 2012er

Proberbly just cash it into bank ang dig a 4 by 4 box in the ground.