It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Future Of Underground Cities
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:10 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

One big bunker under each city.....

The world's cities may be overcrowded, and the suburbs that surround them may be choked by unchecked sprawl, but there's plenty of undeveloped space. It's right at your feet….. underground. You won't hear much talk of it outside of specialized engineering circles, but we're at a tipping point... Over the next 10 years these techniques will be used to hollow out space beneath the world's great cities.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.04/suburb.html

Beneath the ancient city of Beijing, an underground city of definite proportions has already begun to emerge. There are factories, stores, guesthouses, restaurants, hospitals, schools, theaters, reading - rooms, a roller skating rink, a grain and oil warehouse, and a mushroom cultivation farm. These underground production and service facilities cover a total area of 850,000 square meters and make use of more than 1,000 anti-air raid structures.

Monteal has the biggest underground city in the world. 20 miles of shopping malls, hotels, banks, offices, museums, concert halls, universities, seven metro stations, two commuter train stations, a bus terminal and the Bell Centre. There are more than 120 exterior access points to the underground city. Some 500,000 people use the underground city every day, especially to escape the traffic and/or Montreal's harsh winters and hot summers.

They dug railways, roads and footpaths, sewers, buried rivers, and most recently, bomb shelters. Today, there is a veritable subterranean city beneath the streets of London.

There has been a program on history channel all week about ancient underground cities.
I was amazed at the places that had underground cities dating back thousands of years that very few people knew existed. One in Edinborough, Scotland, several in Turkey and open to tourists. I can’t help but wonder if history is repeating itself. Has all this been done before? We would have no trouble surviving all the terrible things that we’ve been discussing here if we built these underground cities.

Post subject: Re: The Future Of Underground Cities
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:28 pm 
Valued 2012er

What if these were flooded? We'd be drowned like mice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:43 pm 
Superstar Contributor

so i just thought of something but its a bit gross. what if we wanted to go into the sewers like to escape. would that be safe or not?

also edinborough scotland is haunted supposedly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:22 pm 
2012 Elder

Hey Suz,

That sounds like Toronto. You can basically go everywhere underground now. When I used to live and work in downtown TO you never had to brave the cold to go from one place to the next.

Of course, I always get lost :( I need those signs they put up to tell me what street corner I am under. So not good underground...

Ace

The Oath of the Paladin #10. Thou shalt always Be the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
宣誓的帕拉丁# 10 。你应该永远是冠军的权利和良好的反对非正义和邪恶。

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:06 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Wouldn't that create chaos for the people. I doubt that there would be enough space available for everyone. They would've needed to be building these for thousands of years. Once word gets out that they intend to move our civilization underground. I don't know about you guys, but I sure as hell am gonna do anything and everything I can to get into that little space.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:03 am 
Valued 2012er

There is a pretty cool show on the History Channel about long forgotten underground cities. Here's the site for it. It's called "Cities of the Underworld"

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?mini_id=53900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:40 am 
Superstar Contributor

world trade center went down 7 floors they had a mall and subway system, parking lots and a city of maintenance rooms and offices.
In Manhattan there are all kinds of under ground stores and restaurant's and some have been there with the first subways many of the big apartment buildings had the superintendents apartments under ground.
there are old abandoned subway stations were homeless people live.

and many people live in under ground homes now.

http://images.google.com/images?q=under ... a=N&tab=wi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am 
Superstar Contributor

suz wrote:
One big bunker under each city.....

... I can’t help but wonder if history is repeating itself. Has all this been done before? We would have no trouble surviving all the terrible things that we’ve been discussing here if we built these underground cities.

It sure is an interesting thought on the history of it. I think there were some catacombs in Peru, and isn't Crete faimous for theirs? They would certainly be safer for civilians in a conventional war that followed the Geneva Conventions. If the entire GC is sacrified, the world goes to Hell. Terrorism risks the scrubbing of the GC, and is a very dangerous political move. The more terrorist attacks that originate from one nation or another, the more likely it would be that all of the civilians of the offending nation would be bombed into oblivion, even though the retaliation would be a violation of the GC.

A child dies of starvation or malnutrition about every second. I recently did the math over again based on some 2006 statistics. If you have better numbers, let me know. If you can do anything else to help, please do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:42 pm 
Very 2012esque

Speaking of Edinburgh's underground city.. I was there in October last for a weekend to do the Ghost tours. The underground part of the city is open to tours, its called Mary Kings Close. This is a street that has been preserved underground after the Plague hit, they only came across it recently while building in the past 10years..

I was totally blown away by it, even the air down there smelt old, if thats possible! There were houses, which some still had some sort of wallpaper still stuck on the walls! The different little alley ways, or closes they call them were so narrow, and the story goes that they used a bucket type thing for a toilet, and come 23hrs every evening they threw this out their top window onto the close below after shouting "gardyloo" to warn the pedestrians below! Nice, eh?!!

So, if you ever get the chance to go to Edinburgh make this top on your list! If you are into ghosts and hauntings there are many tours into underground vaults etc that you can do! Just make sure and bring a change of undies! lol

www.realmarykingsclose.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Beka wrote:
So, if you ever get the chance to go to Edinburgh make this top on your list! If you are into ghosts and hauntings there are many tours into underground vaults etc that you can do! Just make sure and bring a change of undies! lol

Take a little packet of salt with you, and if you see them, sprinkle it on the floor. Instead of trying to scare you, they will be thanking you for your gift.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:20 am 

That's one huge open area down there. I wonder how that's possible as in the construction side of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 am 
Superstar Contributor

We do have some incredibly strong and light <and expensive> materials these days, like carbon nanotubes, which are 50 times stronger than steel and 30 times lighter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:42 am 

That's interesting Beka.....I would love to do that tour someday and thank you alphafour I will remember to carry salt with me.

Hey Ace....I used to work at Front and York Str. And I went from the train station, across the street, through the Royal York Hotel and came out at my work .....all underground.

Quote:
Formica wrote:
What if these were flooded? We'd be drowned like mice

The underground space has been exploited for thousands of years, for strategic and
military purposes.
Underground spaces would be designed to withstand multi-hazards. They would have to be able to seal off and compartmentalize underground space quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:07 am 
Superstar Contributor

In some parts of China (Yuhan province?) they have been living in caves, man-made and natural for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. There are an estimated 100,000 still living in these homes just like their ancestors. Hard, but beautiful lifestyle. The upkeep of these homes is ongoing, keeping roofs from leaking, floors from getting too muddy, walls crumbling, and ventilation problems, but they persevere.
Cooper Pedy in Australia is an interesting example of underground living, some of these man-made underground homes are veritable mansions!