It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a Bunker
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:54 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

I was thinking about building a bunker, but in Florida where the water table is so high ( due to Bush's climate change no doubt ) it is difficult.
My cousin is a computer programmer so I asked him what would be the best way to build a bunker ( not that it requires computers, but he used to work on a road crew where they would dig ditches when he was in prison for a theft that he was wrongfully accused of so he might know a little more than the average person about the high water table ).

When he heard the word "Bunker", he said "Like Archie Bunker?". So I slapped his face and asked him who the hell he was talking to and I said "I am your OLDER cousin". He realized I was serious and apologized for disrespecting me and I apologized for slapping him 2 more times before he got the chance to apologize for trying to be funny.

But then he told me some very good facts about exactly WHY the water tables in this area are so high and how exactly that is beneficial to our government. They know all of the older, wiser people come to Florida and it is those older wiser people who the governemnt will not want around when 2012 happens.

But what I want to know is if anybody here has tried to build a bunker in the Florida soil. I don't have any equiptment or even any land but I know that 2012 will be here before we know it and I should at least start working on the land part of it.

Post subject: Re: Building a Bunker
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:28 pm 
Superstar Contributor

I am almost certain that when 2012 hits, Florida will be reclaimed by the ocean.

A bunker may not help you there; get to high ground (and out of Florida) - mountains...

As for building a bunker, here are some plans to build one:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1236

Also, if price is not a factor, you could buy one (about the same price as a house for a nice-sized one):
http://www.bomb-shelter.net/products

If price is an issue, here's how to build an TEOTWAWKI-proof bunker for under 3000:
viewtopic.php?p=16029#p16029

Also, more low-budget-related:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4146

The government is not your friend! Will you let them WIPE YOU OUT after the disaster?

Energy Manipulation, Telekinesis, Remote Viewing, Telepathy, etc are possible -- no need for a 'gift' -- and YOU can do it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:28 am 
Superstar Contributor

your best bet is to have a good escape plan if you are unable to get out of the lower sea level before something happens.
maybe find someone or a group in a better location and make arrangements to do your part. but there are a lot of people who will be in trouble in 25 or 30 years that live near the water in lower sea levels, just from the rise in the ocean if they have the data right which I doubt but it never hurts to be prepared.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:37 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Not too much to add from what the other guys said. Just get out of Florida if you believe something will happen in 2012. I would not want to be there.

Take a look at this thread; viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7053 It gives some general 'rules of thumb' to think about when moving somewhere. Made sense to me. Check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 am 
Superstar Contributor

What ever you do, do NOT attempt to build a bunker in florida.... All coastal areas are off limits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:08 am 
Very 2012esque

Didn't webbot predict low coastal areas like Florida might be devastated this year?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:22 am 
Superstar Contributor

muchada wrote:
I was thinking about building a bunker, but in Florida where the water table is so high ( due to Bush's climate change no doubt ) it is difficult.
My cousin is a computer programmer so I asked him what would be the best way to build a bunker ( not that it requires computers, but he used to work on a road crew where they would dig ditches when he was in prison for a theft that he was wrongfully accused of so he might know a little more than the average person about the high water table ).

When he heard the word "Bunker", he said "Like Archie Bunker?". So I slapped his face and asked him who the hell he was talking to and I said "I am your OLDER cousin". He realized I was serious and apologized for disrespecting me and I apologized for slapping him 2 more times before he got the chance to apologize for trying to be funny.

But then he told me some very good facts about exactly WHY the water tables in this area are so high and how exactly that is beneficial to our government. They know all of the older, wiser people come to Florida and it is those older wiser people who the governemnt will not want around when 2012 happens.

But what I want to know is if anybody here has tried to build a bunker in the Florida soil. I don't have any equiptment or even any land but I know that 2012 will be here before we know it and I should at least start working on the land part of it.

Here are some links you might find useful. My survival group went with Utah Shelters so I can recommend them. These shelters can be underground, or semi-buried and are unaffected by water tables.

http://www.shelters-of-texas.com/armoredguard.html
http://www.disastershelters.net/
http://www.hardenedshelters.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:12 pm 
2012 Elder

muchada - first thing it is not bush's climate change it is ours the worlds, ok so like grow up really.
next they don't put basements in house's in florida because they flood, i have close family that lives in tampa, i tried to explain the disaster thing to them, they are still in tampa so i guess they didn't think to much about what i said.

also depending on were you live in florida you may not have a furnace in the house as well, i had to put a wood burner in tampa because they do not have one. about the best idea i can give is get a boat like a island hopper or something with a large fuel tank and a small motor lke a volvo penta, then before something happens head up the coast with it, it might be faster than trying to drive a car out. maybe get with some bud's or family and try and snag an acre or two in AL or GA for recreational( :wink: ) purposes and go there when a disater hits.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:44 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Greetings all, I am from Florida (orig NJ) and have been a hobbiest survior-type for decades. I think to answer the original question about building an underground bunker in fla. It is possible, and i have seen several interesting models, including one with a 100' telescoping steel 'flagpole' style vent for an air intake and exaust. But most have been built below or deeply in the existing waterline. It is built useing the same methods of inground pool construction with the exception of increased mass (weight) on the bottom to prevent it from poping up out of the ground. Some used deep anchors to prevent 'poping' and others just increased wieght. One actually designed his to pop out of the ground when the water table reached a certain hieght, and design the bunker after a 1960's concrete boat design, which he believes will then rise with the water table after poping out of the ground. Since I lack the confidence in any of those ideas, i opted for the zen method of going with the flow, I bought a sailboat which i placed inland far from any medium sized tsunami waves, and expect to use it when the table rises too high. I also have a simple 55gal plastic drum with modified latches in the interior as a sorta extreme measure. Inside is neoprene lining and a little food and water. at the bottom of the drum is a deflated canoe and disasembled paddles,a fishing line with hooks(taped) and a tiny floating kids waist raft with a plastic half bubble on top and a 3foot drinking tube. The idea is upon a sudden inpending wave of water, the barrel will ride out the worst of it, come to rest floating on the new florida sea and you pop open the barrel inflate your canoe and plan from there. If its a slower water table increase then i put the barrel on the sailboat and wait for the table to lift the boat and sail apropriately. If its even slower then that, sell the land...transport the boat to the coast and sail away somewhere (not forgeting the barrel of course). I've tested the impact of the barrel by droping it from a crane into a pond from 100 ft. After placeing five watermelons inside the result after modifacation finally allowed the watermelons to survive breakage, later it was tested with a volunteer and although a slight sprain from the impact the neoprene prevented bruising and the plastic barrel was still intake. the last and final test involved modifying the inside with softgriped handholds and a sleeping neck pillow to keep the head more stable and prevent spraining of the wrists (by giveing them a place to be rather then just whereever.) The impact of a 100' drop may not be acurate to a tidal wave but its reassuring as a last minute survival idea. I work in masonry (brickwork) and had access to a crane and a crew to help test it. Its now a 'fun' thing to do during superbowl parties and drunken weekends. To date only three poeple have been injured, the first was a wrist injury due to placement (fixed that with the handles) and the other two were due to the can of beer, which are no longer allowed. A chair pillow was also added too. When dropped the barrel always tends to land on the botton corner slightly titled and cuts right into the water, One person actually hit the floor(barely) at the shallower 15feet section of the pond. Sorry so long but I figured on putting as much usable info as possible, and this is my first post :P :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:04 am 
Superstar Contributor

Argamonius wrote:
Greetings all, I am from Florida (orig NJ) and have been a hobbiest survior-type for decades. I think to answer the original question about building an underground bunker in fla. It is possible, and i have seen several interesting models, including one with a 100' telescoping steel 'flagpole' style vent for an air intake and exaust. But most have been built below or deeply in the existing waterline. It is built useing the same methods of inground pool construction with the exception of increased mass (weight) on the bottom to prevent it from poping up out of the ground. Some used deep anchors to prevent 'poping' and others just increased wieght. One actually designed his to pop out of the ground when the water table reached a certain hieght, and design the bunker after a 1960's concrete boat design, which he believes will then rise with the water table after poping out of the ground. Since I lack the confidence in any of those ideas, i opted for the zen method of going with the flow, I bought a sailboat which i placed inland far from any medium sized tsunami waves, and expect to use it when the table rises too high. I also have a simple 55gal plastic drum with modified latches in the interior as a sorta extreme measure. Inside is neoprene lining and a little food and water. at the bottom of the drum is a deflated canoe and disasembled paddles,a fishing line with hooks(taped) and a tiny floating kids waist raft with a plastic half bubble on top and a 3foot drinking tube. The idea is upon a sudden inpending wave of water, the barrel will ride out the worst of it, come to rest floating on the new florida sea and you pop open the barrel inflate your canoe and plan from there. If its a slower water table increase then i put the barrel on the sailboat and wait for the table to lift the boat and sail apropriately. If its even slower then that, sell the land...transport the boat to the coast and sail away somewhere (not forgeting the barrel of course). I've tested the impact of the barrel by droping it from a crane into a pond from 100 ft. After placeing five watermelons inside the result after modifacation finally allowed the watermelons to survive breakage, later it was tested with a volunteer and although a slight sprain from the impact the neoprene prevented bruising and the plastic barrel was still intake. the last and final test involved modifying the inside with softgriped handholds and a sleeping neck pillow to keep the head more stable and prevent spraining of the wrists (by giveing them a place to be rather then just whereever.) The impact of a 100' drop may not be acurate to a tidal wave but its reassuring as a last minute survival idea. I work in masonry (brickwork) and had access to a crane and a crew to help test it. Its now a 'fun' thing to do during superbowl parties and drunken weekends. To date only three poeple have been injured, the first was a wrist injury due to placement (fixed that with the handles) and the other two were due to the can of beer, which are no longer allowed. A chair pillow was also added too. When dropped the barrel always tends to land on the botton corner slightly titled and cuts right into the water, One person actually hit the floor(barely) at the shallower 15feet section of the pond. Sorry so long but I figured on putting as much usable info as possible, and this is my first post :P :mrgreen:

I would not want to be the one testing this when the time comes, good luck on that :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:06 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Hi all, I have a keen interest in "digging in". Got the land up high - and now need the right design....

The best one I have found is at

http://www.bomb-shelter.net/earthcom-32 ... er-shelter

Awsome but expensive....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Muchada, another thought if your in florida is the aquafier. find a spring entrance and stake out a small cavernous area. stock it and make sure it has artificial lighting (even if its just glow sticks) oh and fishing gear :P. Thats about as cheap a survial plan as i can think of right now. I'm in florida too and i have lake ashby next door.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:29 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

Argamonius, I'd just like to congratulate you for the idea of using a barrel. I can picture exactly what you have done in my head, and think its a BRILLIANT idea.

Excellent work, ignore the people who think it wont work. Even if it didnt work, your a damn sight better off with it, then without it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:40 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

I think Noah would know what to do if he lived in Florida! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:18 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

FORGET ABOUT BUNKERS
If you are living in coastal areas a bunker can be a deathtrap.
you can only built a bunker on high ground and this means about 1000 m above sealevel.
Tell me how you will get your construction materials into the mountains? on a horse? on the back of a mule ? It will take years to get this job done and I dont even mention the money it will cost.Stay reasonable.The authorities will never allow you to built a bunker outside your property