It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What kind of Winter can we expect in a few months?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:04 pm 
Valued 2012er

I'm mainly interested in Europe, because that's where I am lol

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, this past Winter has been colder than average around the world. It definitely was here, and I'm not looking forward to the same scenario again. Do we have any kind of predictions as to what we can expect?

Post subject: Re: What kind of Winter can we expect in a few months?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:29 pm 
Superstar Contributor

For us it was the oposite, In canada, we had a very mild winter (specially in the east part of Canada). Where normally we get fairly cold winters last years was mild and with not very much snow falling. Which is unusual (normally a mild winter brings lots of snow) I can only hope it will be the same kind of winter for this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:15 pm 
2012 Elder & Leg-Shortener

What are the animals doing in your area?
Where I live, the nuts aren't even hitting the ground. :shock:

This is generally a good indicator.

Seismic and Volcano Monitoring - Pacific NW
Non-Hybrid Seeds
NOAA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:32 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Ogmios wrote:
What are the animals doing in your area?
Where I live, the nuts aren't even hitting the ground. :shock:

This is generally a good indicator.

A good indicator for what?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:55 pm 

The squirrels and birds are eating the nuts off the trees and pulling them and hiding them.
They are doing this so much that the nuts don't have time to drop of their own accord.

They are also hiding them above ground. They did that before winter we got the 14"+ of snow a couple years ago.

Keep your eyes open and watch the animals.

Seismic and Volcano Monitoring - Pacific NW
Non-Hybrid Seeds
NOAA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:56 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

The trees are a good indicator too for a mild or cold winter. The more nuts they produce the worse the winter will be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 pm 

Yeah, and they are LOADED, too. :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:08 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

So maybe you're in for another harsh winter where you are!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:23 am 
2012 Elder & Moderator

depends if the jetstream cranks up again....

Quote:
Frozen jet stream leads to flood, fire and famine

Raging wildfires in western Russia have reportedly doubled average daily death rates in Moscow. Diluvial rains over northern Pakistan are surging south – the UN reports that 6 million have been affected by the resulting floods.

It now seems that these two apparently disconnected events have a common cause. They are linked to the heatwave that killed more than 60 in Japan, and the end of the warm spell in western Europe. The unusual weather in the US and Canada last month also has a similar cause.

According to meteorologists monitoring the atmosphere above the northern hemisphere, unusual holding patterns in the jet stream are to blame. As a result, weather systems sat still. Temperatures rocketed and rainfall reached extremes.

Renowned for its influence on European and Asian weather, the jet stream flows between 7 and 12 kilometres above ground. In its basic form it is a current of fast-moving air that bobs north and south as it rushes around the globe from west to east. Its wave-like shape is caused by Rossby waves – powerful spinning wind currents that push the jet stream alternately north and south like a giant game of pinball.

In recent weeks, meteorologists have noticed a change in the jet stream's normal pattern. Its waves normally shift east, dragging weather systems along with it. But in mid-July they ground to a halt, says Mike Blackburn of the University of Reading, UK (see diagram). There was a similar pattern over the US in late June........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:36 am 
Valued 2012er

Article a few months old. Do they know something we don't? Interesting

Space and Science Research Center
Press Releases

Space and Science Research Center
P.O. Box 607841 Orlando, FL 32860
www.spaceandscience.net
407-394-9089
Press Release SSRC 2-2010
Food and Ethanol Shortages Imminent as Earth Enters New Cold Climate Era
Monday, May 10, 2010

11:30 AM

The Space and Science Research Center (SSRC), the leading independent research organization in the United States on the subject of the next climate change, issues today the following warning of imminent crop damage expected to produce food and ethanol shortages for the US and Canada:

Over the next 30 months, global temperatures are expected to make another dramatic drop even greater than that seen during the 2007-2008 period. As the Earth’s current El Nino dissipates, the planet will return to the long term temperature decline brought on by the Sun’s historic reduction in output, the on-going “solar hibernation.” In follow-up to the specific global temperature forecast posted in SSRC Press Release 4-2009, the SSRC advises that in order to return to the long term decline slope from the current El Nino induced high temperatures, a significant global cold weather re-direction must occur. According to SSRC Director John Casey, “The Earth typically makes adjustments in major temperature spikes within two to three years. In this case as we cool down from El Nino, we are dealing with the combined effects of this planetary thermodynamic normalization and the influence of the more powerful underlying global temperature downturn brought on by the solar hibernation. Both forces will present the first opportunity since the period of Sun-caused global warming period ended to witness obvious harmful agricultural impacts of the new cold climate. Analysis shows that food and crop derived fuel will for the first time, become threatened in the next two and a half years. Though the SSRC does not get involved with short term weather prediction, it would not be unusual to see these ill-effects this year much less within the next 30 months.”

The SSRC further adds that the severity of this projected near term decline may be on the order of 0.9 C to 1.1 C from present levels. Surprising cold weather fronts will adversely impact all northern grain crops including of course wheat and the corn used in ethanol for automotive fuel.

In pointing out the importance and reliability of this new temperature forecast and its effects on North American crops, Director Casey adds,” The SSRC has been the only US independent research organization to correctly predict in advance three of the most important events in all of climate science history. We accurately announced beforehand, the end of global warming, a long term drop in the Earth’s temperatures and most importantly the advent of a historic drop in the Sun’s output, a solar hibernation. The US government’s leading science organizations, NASA and NOAA have completely missed all three, as of course have United Nations climate change experts. It is only because of the amount of expected criticism we received because of our strong opposition to the Obama administration’s climate change policies and our declaration of the end of global warming, that the SSRC is not more fully accepted for its leadership role in climate change forecasting. The facts and reliability surrounding our well publicized predictions however stand as testament to the SSRC’s proven ability to understand the nature of global climate change. In view of the importance of this new forecast I have notified the Secretary of Agriculture to take immediate actions to prepare the nation’s agricultural industry for the coming crop damage.”

The SSRC places only one caveat on this forecast. Casey elaborates, “Only a stronger solar cycle with a period longer than the 206 year cycle can cause us to alter our projections. Although more research is needed in this area, none have yet shown themselves. The present hibernation is proceeding in almost lock step as the last one which occurred from 1793 to 1830. If it continues on present course, while the cold weather impacts on food and fuel announced today are certainly important, they do not compare with what is to follow later. At the bottom of the cold cycle of this hibernation in the late 2020’s and 2030’s there will likely be years with devastating to total crop losses in the Canadian and northern US grain regions.”

Letter to USDA Secretary Vilsack

Press Release SSRC 1-2010

SSRC Research Report 1-2010 (Preliminary)

Press Release SSRC 5-2009

Letter To Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Members

Press Release SSRC 4-2009

Press Release SSRC 3-2009

Letter to SEC Chairman Mary Schapiro

Press Release SSRC 2-2009

Press Release SSRC 1-2009

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:34 pm 
2012 Elder

anybody ever use the old farmers almanac anymore?--i would say think about how the winter has been in the last couple years were you are and figure it is going to be about the same. i don't know how may times i have heard OHH ahh it seems colder this year than last from a person out running around still wearing shorts and a t-shirt in december with a few inches of snow on the ground. winter is cold dress for it. most people the only time they are outside is when they run from the car to the store then they wonder why it seems hotter or colder outside, go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:48 pm 
Superstar Contributor

I've looked through them from time to time, but everytime I check the info on the day and place where I am at, it's way off.. I think the old almanac makers are probably dead, and the new ones suck.

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change.. Delicious ambiguity.
Gilda Radner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 pm 
Superstar Contributor

This winter was the coldest in a hundred years. I wonder if the next one will break that record?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:38 am 
Valued 2012er

We in the southern Hemisphere normally follow winters simular to the UK and after what kind of winter they had i was thinking the same for us, but that hasnt been the case.
We havnt had any snowfalls well down to near sea level where i am, which over the past 5-6 years have normally given us several dumpings.
However on a side note it has been a very wet winter, even now the land across much of New Zealand is saturated ive noticed it around here with water tables not coping even with a moderate rainfall that lasts a few hours.
However winter isnt over yet, and if our seasons are anything to by it will push out until mid October now days.
I am looking forward to spring though, the spring bulbs are already coming up must be all the rain we are getting.
We have had just over 300mm for the winter so far here, and to get an angle on things our annual average is 600mm with 250mm falling in the months leading up to June start of winter here.
We stilll have spring and storm season to come yet and with a La Nina pattern set to continue iam sure we will break our annual average.
Its the wettest winter ive ever seen, and ive been watching and observing the weather for 12 years now.