It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heavy Storms in Europe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 pm 
Superstar Contributor

suz wrote:
I've been to Plymouth.....years ago....beautiful waterfront. I remember the dalmations....everyone had a dalmation dog.

Lol, yes it is a beautiful place to live :D I haven't got a dalmation (just a nutty collie x), tho I used to own a spotty horse and a spotty pony :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:52 pm 
Valued 2012er

Location: From UKland, a little known island just north of the English channel.
Most likely track for UK storm

14 December 2011 Last updated at 14:17 Help

A deepening area of low pressure is heading towards the British Isles Thursday night into Friday.
The impact of this storm is expected to be severe but the exact position of the track has been quite difficult to ascertain.
BBC Weather's Chris Fawkes takes a detailed look at the probability of the storm hitting the UK and at the likely forecast track.

Link(including latest forecast video): http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16165125

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Nightwish wrote:
Most likely track for UK storm

14 December 2011 Last updated at 14:17 Help

A deepening area of low pressure is heading towards the British Isles Thursday night into Friday.
The impact of this storm is expected to be severe but the exact position of the track has been quite difficult to ascertain.
BBC Weather's Chris Fawkes takes a detailed look at the probability of the storm hitting the UK and at the likely forecast track.

Link(including latest forecast video): http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16165125

:shock: :shock: :shock: Please update the situation as you can. Thank's and take care!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 pm 
Valued 2012er

More via the BBC

UK Warnings
Published at 18:59 Wednesday 14 December

Weather Warning

Wednesday 14th December

YELLOW WARNING of ICE

Ice is expected to form across many parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England during the evening and overnight.

The risk extends across the Midlands, Wales and parts of Southwest England later in the night as showers clear away.

Valid from 1500 Wednesday to 1100 Thursday.

Wednesday 14th December

YELLOW EARLY WARNING of SNOW

Rain will turn readily to snow across many parts of the Midlands, Wales and southern England during the early hours of Friday morning, leading to a risk of disruption during the morning travel period.

Valid from 0005 until 1000 Friday

Wednesday 14th December

YELLOW EARLY WARNING of WIND

The risk of very windy weather during Thursday night and Friday is now likely to be confined to southernmost counties of England, with heavy rain adding to the problems.

Valid from 2100 Thursday to 1200 Friday.

Wednesday 14th December

YELLOW EARLY WARNING of ICE

Wednesday 14th December

Icy stretches will develop widely across Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England later on Friday afternoon, the risk continuing into Saturday morning.

Flood Warning

Wednesday 14th December

There are flood warnings in force in the United Kingdom, in the following regions:

NE England (1)

NW England (1)

Further updates will appear here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:14 am 
Superstar Contributor

Weve had really choppy weather the last few days..........A power out for a short while early Tuesday morning (Overhead cable down on the Marsh) because the gusts were really bad......This morning (Wed) really cold then hailstones out of the blue followed by gusts & cold rain throughout the day today.........Not looking forward to Friday as supposed to be really bad......... :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:28 am 
Valued 2012er

UK Warnings Update via BBC
Published at 00:42 Thursday 15 December

Weather Warning

YELLOW WARNING of ICE
Ice is expected to form across many parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England during the evening and overnight.
The risk extends across the Midlands, Wales and parts of Southwest England later in the night as showers clear away.
Valid from 1500 Wednesday to 1100 Thursday.
Thursday 15th December
YELLOW EARLY WARNING of SNOW
Rain will turn readily to snow across many parts of the Midlands, Wales and southern England during the early hours of Friday morning, leading to a risk of disruption during the morning travel period.
Valid from 0005 until 1000 Friday
Thursday 15th December
YELLOW EARLY WARNING of WIND
The risk of very windy weather during Thursday night and Friday is now likely to be confined to southernmost counties of England, with heavy rain adding to the problems.
Thursday 15th December
Thursday 15th December
Icy stretches will develop widely across Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England later on Friday afternoon, the risk continuing into Saturday morning.
Valid from 1500 Friday to 1000 Saturday.
Thursday 15th December
Icy patches are likely to form overnight and last into the morning, giving locally hazardous driving conditions.
Valid from 1500 Saturday to 1000 Sunday.

Flood Warning

Thursday 15th December
There are flood warnings in force in the United Kingdom, in the following regions:
NE England (1)
NW England (1)
Scotland (1)

Further updates will appear here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:55 pm 
Valued 2012er

This updated track data shows storm effecting north of France.
Looks like they get most of the wind but due to the latest path UK will see a plunge in temperature with possible snow & ice giving problems for many areas.
We will see.?

Winter storm approaches English Channel
Last updated at 13:13 15 December 2011

A deep low pressure system is forecast to move through the English Channel in the next 24 hours.
BBC weather forecaster Darren Bett has the details of what it is likely to bring.

Link to watch associated video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16201006

Thursday 15 December Published at 13:29
UK Warnings
Weather Warning

Thursday 15th December

YELLOW WARNING of HEAVY RAIN

A band of heavy rain will affect southern counties of England, during Thursday evening and through to Friday morning. 15 to 25mm of rain will fall with the potential for up to 40mm. This may lead to local flooding as the ground is saturated.

The rain will be accompanied by fresh to strong winds with a low risk of gales or severe gales.
Valid from 2000 Thursday to 0900 Friday.
Thursday 15th December

AMBER WARNING of SNOW

Rain will turn readily to snow across Southeast Wales, parts of the west country and the south Midlands during the early hours of Friday morning, leading to a risk of disruption during the morning travel period. 2-5cm of snow is forecast with the potential for up to 10cm. There is also a wider YELLOW warning for snow for Wales, the Midlands and southern England, snow may settle to low levels during Friday morning.

Valid from 0100 Friday until 1100 Friday
Thursday 15th December
YELLOW WARNING of ICE
Thursday 15th December
Following wintry showers, skies will clear and a frost will develop. This will lead to Icy stretches developing on untreated surfaces across southern Scotland and Northern Ireland later on Friday afternoon with the risk continuing into Saturday morning.
Valid from 1500 Thursday to 1200 Friday.
Thursday 15th December
A frost will develop under clear skies, scattered wintry showers will fall onto frozen surfaces, therefore icy patches are likely to form overnight and last into the morning, giving locally hazardous driving conditions.
Valid from 1500 Friday to 1000 Saturday.
Thursday 15th December
Icy patches are likely to form overnight and last into the morning, giving locally hazardous driving conditions.
Valid from 1500 Saturday to 1000 Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:30 pm 
Superstar Contributor

String of storm systems equivalent to a Category Four Hurricane to Strike U.K.
(TheWeatherSpace.com) - A storm system last week produced very damaging winds across the area and if you can believe it or not, a string of storms stronger than the last one will smack the area this next week.

The storm pattern is very dangerous this next week across the United Kingdom as storm systems approach the area from the west. These storm systems have central surface low pressure readings that of major hurricanes, including one by the end of the week being equivalent to a category four hurricane.
This is a very dangerous situation for the United Kingdom. A central pressure below 945mb is not common in this area and this will be a hazard to life, potentially end lives of the unaware.

The first storm system strikes on Tuesday, the next shortly behind that by 24 hours. This is a double-barrel storm setup for the first two, which means both central surface low pressure systems will be low, and working with each other.

The most powerful one may very well end up being one for the history books with a a central surface pressure reading of 942mb, a category four hurricane equivalent. This system will impact the area later Thursday and into Friday.
If you have Facebook, it is EASY, click the LIKE buttons below to join the crew. You get articles before the main site by 5-10 minutes and stay on top of things
http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/TWS ... -week.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:32 pm 
Superstar Contributor

All quiet here at the moment, but here in the SW tip of the UK we are meant to get hit by iy whichever way it goes, will keep you updated! Tuesday nights wasn't too bad, we've seen worse. Some trees and fences etc down, some short lived power cuts and localised flooding in places. Wonder what tonights will bring!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:13 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Stirky wrote:
All quiet here at the moment, but here in the SW tip of the UK we are meant to get hit by iy whichever way it goes, will keep you updated! Tuesday nights wasn't too bad, we've seen worse. Some trees and fences etc down, some short lived power cuts and localised flooding in places. Wonder what tonights will bring!

I see in TV that the storm's name is Joaquim... :!:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:39 pm 
Superstar Contributor

luisport wrote:
Stirky wrote:

I see in TV that the storm's name is Joaquim... :!:

Really? they gave it a name lol. Well he was either very quiet or he missed the UK altogether as last night we had some rain (nothing unusual there then!) and a bit of wind but nothing to write home about! To the north of where I am (which is the most of the UK lol) they had some snow in places. The first storm of the week seemed the worst one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 am 
Superstar Contributor

Really? they gave it a name lol. Well he was either very quiet or he missed the UK altogether as last night we had some rain (nothing unusual there then!) and a bit of wind but nothing to write home about! To the north of where I am (which is the most of the UK lol) they had some snow in places. The first storm of the week seemed the worst one.[/quote]
Yes i see in TV that It gets France with floods, massive power cuts, tree falls, and France was all with orange and yellow warnings.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:35 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Germany’s emergency services braced themselves Friday morning as the powerful winter storm “Joachim” struck the country from the west. There have already been massive power cuts across France. The storm raged across France on overnight, with the centre of the low pressure system reaching Paris at 3 am. Railway systems broke down in the Loire region. The storm also caused an oil spill from a stranded freighter on the coast of Brittany. The storm, dubbed “Joachim,” is expected to cut a swathe through Germany from Düsseldorf to Hannover to Berlin, but the strongest winds are expected to strike regions south of the centre of the storm. The Meteomedia weather service has already put out its highest alert for large areas of the states of Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria. Meanwhile the Karlsruhe institute for meteorology said “Joachim” would bring heavy rainfall. The institute added that there would be winds of up to 200 kilometres an hour in the Alpine summits and snowfall could be expected in mountainous regions. According to the weathermen, the storm also heralds the end of the relatively mild temperatures that have been reigning in Germany this winter. Snow is expected in the lower regions of Germany during the weekend. http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?page ... -33438-DEU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:41 am 
Very 2012esque

The UK is being battered by 70 to 90 mile an hour winds again I got no sleep at all from 4AM last night.

:(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:11 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Yes yet again we have had another REALLY bad storm, it looks like this one has affected the entire UK, worse I think in the west, but the entire country has taken a battering! I had to go out this morning and I had a few scary moments on the main roads I can tell you! Couldn't see further than my windscreen at one point, and there was flooding everywhere. Even saw a tree come down :shock:

Wasn't much of a warning of this one either, well at least I didn't hear of any on the national and local news, although the met office website might've put one up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16390088

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next