It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dolphin slaughter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 am 
Superstar Contributor

Dolphin slaughter

CAUTION: Bloody.Not for Sensative people
People are asking for it. Nothing new will happen if nothing happens.

"There are small things even a microscope cannot see."

Post subject: Re: Dolphin slaughter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:37 am 
2012 Elder & Moderator

Not just the Danes, sad to say :evil:

Quote:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=eat-flipper--stealthy-filmmakers-sp-2009-07-29
Stealthy filmmakers spotlight Japanese dolphin slaughter in The Cove

The time is ripe for a masterful documentary that weaves a riveting yarn from the collapse of the world’s fisheries and Japan’s heartless pursuit of the ocean’s last great bounty from bluefin tuna to blue whales. The Cove is not that film.

At its core, The Cove is about the capture and slaughter of dolphins for meat in a heavily guarded inlet in Taiji, Japan, and the activists who seek to end this hunt. These activists include Richard O’Barry, the dolphin trainer who regrets his work on the TV series Flipper in the 1960s, and Paul Watson, the controversial captain of the Sea Shepherd who made Taiji’s dolphin hunt known through footage he posted on YouTube in 2003. All this is used, somehow, to also put the spotlight on the world’s declining fisheries. To director Louie Psihoyos, the lines are clear: you are either an “activist” or an “inactivist,” and this perspective (or lack thereof) becomes the film’s greatest flaw, reducing it from what could have been a powerful piece of undercover journalism to propaganda.

Dolphins and porpoises are two of the marine mammal groups in the order Cetacea, along with animals that the lay public calls whales. Dolphins are, in fact, more closely related to a beaked whale than a beaked whale is to a humpback. To add to the confusion, Pilot whales and killer whales are actually in the dolphin family.

Pro- and anti-whaling countries dispute whether the smaller cetaceans should be regulated under the International Whaling Commission. The IWC banned whaling in 1986 as many species reached bottom. The Japanese, however, have continued the practice through their dubious scientific whaling program known as the Institute of Cetacean Research.

Dolphins, as portrayed in The Cove, are the scraps left behind from the already overexploited marine ecosystem. The Japanese harvest an estimated 23,000 dolphins each year, but according to the filmmakers, no one in Japan really wants to eat dolphin meat. Consequently, it is sometimes falsely labeled and sold as whale, which is more palatable to the Japanese.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:16 am 
2012 Elder & Moderator

Quote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/3174779/Whale-battle-underway
Whale battle underway

Anti-whaling campaigners the Sea Shepherd have clashed with a Japanese ship in the Southern Ocean.

A sound blasting device has been fired at their helicopter, the group says.

Sea Shepherd's Steve Irwin ship, which left Australia earlier this month to disrupt whaling in the Southern Ocean, has had a Japanese security ship Shonan Maru No 2 tracking it for nine days.

In a statement Sea Shepherd said it entered French Antarctic territorial waters at Dumont D'Urville in an attempt to lose Shonan Maru.

The Japanese entered too.

Last evening the Steve Irwin helicopter flew back to film the Shonan Maru No. 2.

In response, the crew of the Japanese ship activated their Long Range Acoustical Device (LRAD) at the Sea Shepherd helicopter. LRAD is a military class weapon.

"This was an extremely irresponsible thing to do," said helicopter pilot Chris Aultman.

"That device can cause nausea and disorientation and the use of it against an aircraft is both extremely dangerous and grossly irresponsible."

The Sea Shepherd helicopter returned to the Steve Irwin for safety from the LRAD, at which point, the Shonan Maru No. 2 increased speed and aimed their water canons in an attempt to destroy the helicopter on the landing pad.

This occurred while the crew was attempting to secure the helicopter.

The Sea Shepherd ship is undamaged and the crew safe. Sea Shepherd has reported the incident to the French authorities. The pursuit continues.

"The situation is now very dangerous," said Captain Paul Watson.

"We have deliberately led the Japanese ship into thick ice in order to lose them in the ice. The icebergs could easily damage either vessel."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:12 pm 
2012 Elder & Moderator

outstandign lets kill ALL the other sentient beings on the planet that way we wont have anyone to follow us like we did the dinos :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:33 pm 
Superstar Contributor

drunkdog wrote:
outstandign lets kill ALL the other sentient beings on the planet that way we wont have anyone to follow us like we did the dinos :(

I don't get you. since when does a whale eat humons? We will have others following us no matter what. Crazy Humons, Bandit humons. How about killing everyone till your the only one left, that way no one will follow..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 pm 
2012 Elder & Moderator

sorry I try not to let my humor elicit posts as noone else understands it most times ....and i counter whales you say ...arent we slaughtering them also ? there may well be other sentient creatures on this planet im missing too again I apologize

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:39 pm 
Superstar Contributor

in killing off species we only succeed in killing of ourselves. We are dependent on so many animals for survival (bats and bees being one)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:44 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

I saw a whale up close....it was awesome and it went under our boat and came out the other side...I have never seen or experienced anything so amazing in my life.
I was in Hawaii a few years ago

http://animalblawg.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... n-denmark/

It's sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:30 am 
2012 Elder & Moderator

bit of a followup to the above story...

Quote:
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/12/20/18633193.php
Sea Shepherd awaits second vessel to shake Japanese shadow

By tailing the Sea Shepherd ship, the master of the Japanese ship is able to keep the whaling fleet informed of the latest position so the fleet can avoid a confrontation. The Japanese are spending a great deal of money dedicating two ships to shadow Sea Shepherd, although at the moment only one has been identified so far.

Captain Paul Watson said that he will try to lose the tail in heavier ice conditions "We will use the icebergs and the ice floes to our advantage." Said Captain Paul Watson. "I've observed today that I am a more experienced ice navigator than the Japanese captain chasing us. We need to get him to follow us into the ice fields and let the ice work for us."

On December 17 Sea Shepherd sought and was granted permission to enter French Antarctic territorial waters near the French Base at Dumont D'Urville. The Shonan Maru No. 2 followed the Steve Irwin into French waters without permission. When Sea Shepherd launched their helicopter to film the pursuit, the Japanese ship activated their Long Range Acoustical Device (LRAD) at the Sea Shepherd helicopter.

"This was an extremely irresponsible thing to do," said helicopter pilot Chris Aultman. "That device can cause nausea and disorientation and the use of it against an aircraft is both extremely dangerous and grossly irresponsible."

The helicopter returned to the Steve Irwin for safety, howver the Shonan Maru No. 2 increased speed and aimed their two watercannons at the helicopter deck. Captain Watson responded by ordering the deployment of a 150-meter line aft of the vessel to force the Shonan Maru No. 2 to maintain a safe distance.

In a press statement the Japanese Institute for Cetacean Research has accused Sea Shepherd of attacking it's ship, the Shonan Maru No. 2, including use of a green laser device. Paul Watson confirmed on his myspace blog that the "Steve Irwin crew did use a photonic laser to warn the Japanese whalers off from their aggressive attack on the Sea Shepherd ship."

The following day helicopter pilot Chris Aultman and Steve Irwin's First Officer Locky MacLean visited the French base at Dumont d' Urville. The French base comander, Marie France Roy, the District Chief for Terre Adelie presented Locky MacLean with a plaque for the Steve Irwin and a letter of support. The letter states "Our sympathy goes out towards this ship's activities in enforcing the recommendations of the International Whaling Commission."

The Steve Irwin is waiting at anchor off the Adelie Coast for three days to meet up with the Sea Shepherd vessel Ady Gil. The Ady Gil left Hobbart on December 19. The Ady Gil has greater speed than the Japanese vessels and will be able to shake any tail and do reconnaissance of its own to find the whaling fleet and communicate the position to the Steve Irwin.

"Once we unite with our other vessel we should be in a position to seriously turn the tables on this Japanese security ship that is stalking us," said Captain Paul Watson.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:01 pm 
Superstar Contributor

makemap wrote:
drunkdog wrote:

I don't get you. since when does a whale eat humons? We will have others following us no matter what. Crazy Humons, Bandit humons. How about killing everyone till your the only one left, that way no one will follow..

That was sarcasm, makemap. He is obtusely suggesting that no sentient creatures will be left to replace us when we humans disappear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:27 am 
2012 Elder & Moderator

Update

Quote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/3191502/NZ-boat-fails-to-help-Steve-Irwin-shake-off-whaler
NZ boat fails to help Steve Irwin shake off whaler

A crew of New Zealanders on the 24m trimaran Earthrace has failed to help the Sea Shepherd group's main anti-whaling ship, Steve Irwin, shake off a pursuing Japanese security vessel.

The Earthrace – renamed the Ady Gil since it was bought for the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society by a Hollywood businessman – carries four New Zealanders and one Dutch citizen, Laurens De Groot.

Steve Irwin captain Paul Watson said the Shonan Maru No 2 harpoon boat has been harassing his ship for the past 12 days as it attempts to prevent his crew from pursuing the Japanese whaling fleet.

He said the Ady Gil met up with the Steve Irwin and circled the Shonan Maru before dawn today to create a diversion and try to help his vessel lose the Japanese ship.

The Ady Gil, which New Zealand skipper Pete Bethune has claimed is a "stealth boat" painted with radar deflective paint, had taken advantage of relative darkness to join up with the Steve Irwin and transfer materials and crew, he said in an email message.

"The Steve Irwin headed off leaving the Ady Gil to harass and slow down the Shonan Maru No 2. . .," Capt Watson said.

"At first it looked good, and the Steve Irwin was able to put 12 miles between the Shonan Maru No 2 and itself.

"But despite being harassed by the Ady Gil for two hours, the Japanese slowly worked their way back to a six-mile distance.

"To accomplish this they had to increase their speed to over 20 knots, a speed at which, unfortunately, the Steve Irwin cannot outrun."

He said the Shonan Maru had pursued the Ady Gil with water cannons and LRADs (long-range acoustic devices) before both ships reached speeds of more than 20 knots in two-metre swells.

"The Ady Gil crew defended their ship utilising photonic disrupters (high-powered green lasers) in an effort to get the Shonan Maru No 2 to back off to a safe distance," Capt Watson said.

Australian Greens leader Bob Brown has called on the federal government to send surveillance planes or boats to record the dispute.

"This is a whaling war with Kevin Rudd missing from action," Senator Brown said.

"Japan has two naval vessels involved. Rudd should at least send surveillance planes or vessels."

Senator Brown said he was revolted that Japan's fleet was allowed to refuel in Australia en route to killing whales.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:33 am 
2012 Elder & Moderator

Quote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/3192756/Hamilton-sailor-in-hi-tech-sea-battle
Hamilton sailor in hi-tech sea battle

Hamilton sailor and environmentalist Pete Bethune is in a high-stakes, hi-tech battle with Japanese whaling ships as tensions mount in the southern ocean.

Mr Bethune's bio-diesel powered vessel Earthrace, renamed Ady Gil, has come under attack from the Shonan Maru 2, which conservationist group Sea Shepherd claims is acting as a bodyguard to a fleet of Japanese whaling boats.

The whalers have used water cannons to fire on the conservationists' vessels, while the activists have fired back using sonic weapons and "photonic disrupter" lasers they claim are not harmful.

Speaking today from near Macquarie Island, Captain Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd vessel Steve Irwin said both his ship and Mr Bethune's boat had been involved in exchanges with the Shonan Maru 2 as the two conservation boats tussled with a Japanese fleet he branded as "poachers" and "criminals".

The Japanese had tried to destroy the Steve Irwin's helicopter using a high-pressure water cannon, and aimed a long-range acoustic device (LRAD) – "a sonic weapon" – at the helicopter's pilot.

"The Ady Gil came in to help us, and yes, they did use photonic disrupters. They're not lasers, they're not harmful: we use them to confuse the harpooners, we fire these at them and they can't see."

According to the manufacturer's website, photonic disrupters "will temporarily overwhelm a threat's visual senses without causing permanent eye damage".

Mr Watson would not divulge the Ady Gil's position, but was in regular contact with Mr Bethune through encrypted emails.

"The Ady Gil's had one confrontation with the Shonan Maru when they tried to slow them down to get them off our back – they fired water cannons and LRADs on to the Ady Gil.

"I don't know what kind of game they're (the Japanese) playing – their claims that we're attacking them are ridiculous, because we can't catch them," Mr Watson said.

"They (the Japanese) come in and attack us, we defend ourselves, and then they claim they're under attack," Mr Watson said. "We can't get rid of these guys – they're coming after us. They're trying to paint a picture of us being an aggressor."

Quote:
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/govt-threatens-legal-action-on-whaling-20091224-le08.html
Govt threatens legal action on whaling

The federal government insists it will take international legal action against Japan if it doesn't stop whaling.

And it will send surveillance boats to the Southern Ocean to monitor the Japan's annual whaling hunt if it needs to mount a legal case.

Japanese whalers have begun their annual hunt, with a quota of 935 minke whales, 20 fin whales and 50 humpbacks.

Environment Minister Peter Garrett says diplomatic efforts with Japan to put an end to the practice are continuing.

And if progress isn't made Australia will look to take judicial action.

"(Whaling) remains a matter of great concern to us," Mr Garrett told ABC radio on Thursday.

"We said that we'd send a ship for monitoring, as we did a couple of seasons back, in the event that there's a necessity to take that legal step."

Meanwhile, crew aboard an anti-whaling ship are confident they will locate the Japanese fleet, despite being harassed by a decoy boat.

Paul Watson, captain of the Steve Irwin says the Shonan Maru 2 has been attempting to prevent his crew from pursuing the whaling fleet for weeks.

Mr Watson says his crew will return to Hobart for fuel, then continue their pursuit of the Japanese whalers.

"We usually don't find the fleet until the first week of January," he told the Seven Network on Thursday.

"We are still a week ahead of schedule.

"And I'm confident that (the Steve Irwin) will find them... and I'm sure that we'll cut into their quotas."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:11 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Location: Hell on Earth (On the wrong side of the Red River... the north side)
Ughh, something should be done. That is murder... plain and simple. It has been proven that Dolphins are sentient like us. Not only that but they have also proven beyond a shadow of doubt that Dolphins name themselves and communicate to each other much in the same way people do with names. In other words folks... dolphins have language. Not only that bu they will come to the rescue of humans at sea. It is time we stop the crap and begin helping this other sentient species out and seeing what we can learn, and see if we can actually learn to talk with them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:37 am 
Superstar Contributor

ajm wrote:
Ughh, something should be done. That is murder... plain and simple. It has been proven that Dolphins are sentient like us. Not only that but they have also proven beyond a shadow of doubt that Dolphins name themselves and communicate to each other much in the same way people do with names. In other words folks... dolphins have language. Not only that bu they will come to the rescue of humans at sea. It is time we stop the crap and begin helping this other sentient species out and seeing what we can learn, and see if we can actually learn to talk with them.

Too bad people lost their ways of living with pets/ other creatures. Should be a dolphin/whale rider. Best Shark riding :D.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:36 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Location: Hell on Earth (On the wrong side of the Red River... the north side)
I have always loved dolphins, since I was a little kid. Don't know why, they just always seemed special to me and beautiful.