It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Magnetic Effect of Light
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:54 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Solar power without solar cells: A hidden magnetic effect of light could make it possible

Light has electric and magnetic components. Until now, scientists thought the effects of the magnetic field were so weak that they could be ignored. What Rand and his colleagues found is that at the right intensity, when light is traveling through a material that does not conduct electricity, the light field can generate magnetic effects that are 100 million times stronger than previously expected. Under these circumstances, the magnetic effects develop strength equivalent to a strong electric effect.

"This could lead to a new kind of solar cell without semiconductors and without absorption to produce charge separation," Rand said. "In solar cells, the light goes into a material, gets absorbed and creates heat. Here, we expect to have a very low heat load. Instead of the light being absorbed, energy is stored in the magnetic moment. Intense magnetization can be induced by intense light and then it is ultimately capable of providing a capacitive power source."

What makes this possible is a previously undetected brand of "optical rectification," says William Fisher, a doctoral student in applied physics. In traditional optical rectification, light's electric field causes a charge separation, or a pulling apart of the positive and negative charges in a material. This sets up a voltage, similar to that in a battery. This electric effect had previously been detected only in crystalline materials that possessed a certain symmetry.

http://michigantoday.umich.edu/2011/04/ ... id=8154157
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 041911.php

we all been taught this doesn't happen, until now. solar power just got more interesting. :D

i am starting to believe that magnetic's have an effect on absolutely everything in our universe including us.

Post subject: Re: Magnetic Effect of Light
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm 
Superstar Contributor

i just saw Rob posted this subject already, feel free to discard this thread moderators.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:34 pm 
Superstar Contributor

This means intense magnetization can be induced by intense light and then it's capable of producing a capacitive power source. To get this effect the light must be focused to an intensity of 10 million watts per square centimeter. Rand's associate William Fisher said “It turns out that the magnetic field starts curving the electrons into a C-shape and they move forward a little each time,” Fisher said. “That C-shape of charge motion generates both an electric dipole and a magnetic dipole. If we can set up many of these in a row in a long fiber, we can make a huge voltage and by extracting that voltage, we can use it as a power source.”

With the right material to pass light through it would be possible to achieve 10% efficiency in converting solar power to usable energy. So far they like the idea of using glass as a material to create lenses to focus the light and using fibers to guide the reaction but will experiment with various materials including transparent ceramics.

Using this method would produce solar power more cheaply than the traditional process of creating semiconductors.

Rand and his associates will be experimenting this summer with using laser light and sunlight to see which can harness more power. It will probably be years before we see the end result of this technology but it's interesting to know about this discovery.

http://www.solarpowerbuzzmedia.com/2011 ... thout.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Involve me - I'll understand"
- Chinese Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]