It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to build a strong WIFI device out of a satalite dish
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:42 am 
Valued 2012er

Source:( http://www.techoozie.com/get-free-legal ... lite-dish/ sorry I forgot to put the source the first time I posted it)
C-band satellite dishes were used to receive satellite television signals during the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. These satellite dishes were usually about 10 feet across and were a constant complaint for homeowners and neighbors wherever they were installed. Because of changes in television signals and advancements in technology, these large satellite dishes have been replaced with a smaller and less costly dish. However many of the big satellite dishes still work and can be used for new technology applications. If you have a big satellite dish and want to continue to use to watch television, there are many free-to-air television stations still accessible through these satellite dishes and some stations periodically open their scrambled feeds which can be picked up with the satellite dishes. But if you want to use this dish for a bigger project, you can also use the dish as a wifi internet antenna.

To convert your satellite dish into a powerful wifi internet antenna, you will need to purchase several items including an N-connector and a pigtail connector with the necessary connector for your internet access point on one end and an N-connector on the other. You can find the N-connector and pigtail cables available for purchase online and in case your not sure where to purchase all the different parts needed, you can find several different kits available for purchase. The most important part for this entire project is the N-connector so you may want to purchase more than one. You also need a thin copper sheet, plastic for the base, and a soldering iron.

Using standard solid-core house wire you need to build an element for the wireless signal. Cut a piece of wire 244mm long and bend the wire into a double diamond or bow tie shape. You want to make each diamond in this element symmetrical so this may take a little bit of practice. You should have extra wire available incase you want to stop and start over several times. If you find the wire too hard to bend, try using two pairs of pliers as it can be very firm. Next, you need to cut a 110mm square of black plastic to use as a base for your new wifi reflector. You should drill a hole in the center of your plastic to allow the N-connector to fit properly.

Prep your N-connector by soldering a piece of copper wire to the center pin and to the outside of the connector. In order to save time, you should solder the outside wire first as it will take longer to heat and attach. After your N-connector has cooled attach it to one side of the plastic base using epoxy and epoxy the thin copper sheet to the other side of the plastic base. After the epoxy has cured, solder your copper bow tie to the two vertical wires, the bow tie can not directly touch the copper plate below it so you may want to prop it up with a couple pieces of excess copper plating. Once all your solder points are cooled, trim the excess from the vertical wires and relish in the fact, you just made an antenna.

Now it is time to connect your antenna to the satellite dish. Connect the N-connector to the feed horn on the satellite dish remembering to point the copper side of your antenna towards the satellite dish. This antenna is going to pull in wireless signals from your area and you will need a converter for your computer to take the signal being sent down the coax. This could be another access point or a cable internet box. The type of converter used will vary upon your computer and your available hardware. You can also convert your new satellite dish antenna to project your own internet signal in order to boost your wifi range.

After you have the antenna connected, you should set your satellite dish to point in a direction you expect to find at least one wifi signal. You may want to use a software program like kismet to search and find wifi signals in the area and test your antenna. You should be cautious with your new internet antenna as it may be more powerful than allowed by the FCC. Building these large wifi satellite dish antennas is a little complex and time consuming but for people who live in areas where it is hard to get broadband internet this is a viable and cost effective solution. If you live in an area where you have a large amount of open space and need or want to access the intent in these open areas, you can pick up satellite dishes for free from people who want to get rid of old equipment and build your own network of wifi antennas.

Last edited by Wolvian on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to build a strong WIFI device out of a satalite dish
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:46 am 
Valued 2012er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:26 am 
Valued 2012er

In-Depth guide here: http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how- ... h-antenna/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm 
Superstar Contributor

So are you trying to talk to the ET's using WiFi!? :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm 
2012 Elder

It's considered both polite, respectful to the current forum's owner & less illegal when copying out someone else's work to not quote in entirety & to acknowledge the source of the work. So the idea is, you mention the subject, quote a relevant paragraph or two & post a link to the place you got it from. This protects Rob (site owner here) from potential action, & sends some traffic to the site of the person you found so interesting.

It also makes you appear to have a higher level of integrity.

The owner of techoozie.com may or may not want his/her work appearing on this site, but s/he will be much less grumpy if you follow the above guidelines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:46 pm 
Valued 2012er

sorry I forgot to put in the source when I first put this up.

This can be used to keep in touch with people in other bunkers.

a 10 ft dish can go as far as 126 miles away. I have a 8 ft dish so it should be able to do close to that capacity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:01 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Nope! To achieve that distance you need precise point-to-point (ptp) communications vs. just pointing the dish antenna arbitrarily in some sort of a broadcast mode!

I've achieved 50+ miles with WiFi using external antennas on a regular basis but on ptp "directional" mode...

Also one can achieve larger distances by putting multi-point "relay" repeaters on Mountain tops, but those require a power source, so you could always install a solar panel and a rechargeable battery (that can hold the power for the nights) at those relay locations...very much like the NASA rovers are powered on Mars...

Last edited by wirelessguru1 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 pm 
Very 2012esque

wirelessguru1 wrote:
So are you trying to talk to the ET's using WiFi!? :?

Well, the`re quite advance so they`re bound to have wifi. Right? And the interweb? :p

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Well, I'm sure these advanced ET's can talk directly to your brain using bicameral mind "telepathy" mode... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm 
2012 Elder

S'OK... :)

126 miles sounds good, but you'd have to be pretty high up to achieve such a distance - at 1000 metres you can see about 113k, which is about 3300 ft giving about 70 miles. If you're going to mount it that high you'd want to camouflage it.

You'd need to check to see just what frequencies will rebound from the ionosphere - not sure but my impression is wifi wouldn't do it - my physics was a long time back but I think it's the lower frequencies that reflect & so can 'curve' over the horizon. Lower frequencies means lower bandwidth.

I doubt wifi would be anything other than line of sight, meaning, unless you're up a mountain somewhere, your distance even with the dish mounted on a 10 metre (33ft) tower will be about 11k (~7 miles)

But it should give high bandwidth over the shorter distance available at lower elevations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 pm 
Valued 2012er

How about 8000+ feet (2424+ m) with a good southern exposure? :D

Last edited by sungod23 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:55 pm 
2012 Elder

sungod23 wrote:
How about 8000+ feet (2424+ m) with a good southern exposure? :D

At 2424m, you can 'see' 175km, or about 109 miles. 'see' because of course, there can be other limits that may cause signal loss & attenuation can be a bitch at some frequencies. Keep in mind also that it needs to be 8000ft above the terrain, not above sea level. If you're on a 7000 ft plateau, being up an extra 1000ft gives you about 40 miles.

There's a calculator for this stuff at Steve Sque's site

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 am 
Valued 2012er

Thanks for the info, Acolyte. We definitely have line-of-sight down into NM, perhaps as far as Taos. West, east and north are blocked by mountains up to 14k (4200 m) high.