It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: First HIV-Positive man cured
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:55 am 
2012 Elder

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/14/hiv-cure-berlin-patient_n_796521.html

On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

Brown's case paves a path for constructing a permanent cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

Last week, Time named another AIDS-related discovery to its list of the Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs of 2010. Recent studies show that healthy individuals who take antiretrovirals, medicine commonly prescribed for treating HIV, can reduce their risk of contracting the disease by up to 73 percent.

While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found, they can certainly provide hope for the more than 33 million people living with HIV worldwide. Alongside such findings, global efforts to combat the epidemic have accelerated as of late, with new initiatives emerging in the Philippines and South Africa this week.

Post subject: Re: First HIV-Positive man cured
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:40 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Majic Johnson is still alive and he had HIV... is he cured?? or has it not progressed to AIDS?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:46 pm 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

Great stuff.....we are going to see some amazing things in the next 20 years in the medical field. Especially in stem cell research.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:45 pm 
Superstar Contributor

It would be so nice if this is true.. Imagine, a virus that targets the immune system may be cured.. and if that's the case, then almost any other disease is also within range of cure!!

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change.. Delicious ambiguity.
Gilda Radner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:12 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Can you rid me of eczema, glad I'm not bald anyhoo. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:39 pm 
2012 Elder

HeavenSent wrote:
Majic Johnson is still alive and he had HIV... is he cured?? or has it not progressed to AIDS?

Antiretroviral drugs have been around for quite awhile, but for the majority of that time the cost was astronomical (many insurance companies wouldn't even cover the drugs). He was one of the early few and lucky who could afford to take the medicine, which essentially paused the deterioration of the disease, preventing it from becoming full-blown AIDS. Nowadays, antiretroviral drugs are quite affordable in the Western world (and even in parts of Africa), so while infection rates haven't dropped, mortality rates from the disease have.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:13 pm 
Superstar Contributor

But it still isn't a cure. A cure is when we can knock it out completely..eliminating pain and fear.

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change.. Delicious ambiguity.
Gilda Radner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 am 
Superstar Contributor

I think the first HIV man is dead :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 am 
2012 Elder

Look... I'd like to be all positive about this, but a cure is not coming from stem cell transplants. Stem cells don't go out and cure other cells - stem cells can alter the balance by replacing damaged or deficient cells. But AIDS is a virus and a virus works in very specific ways.

The only cure comes from preventing the virus from taking over cells to reproduce. Stem cells can't do that. It might be that stem cells could be cultured to be T-cells that are sensitised to AIDS or HIV but that isn't mentioned here.

I think what we see here is they have used stem cells to replace the bone marrow of an HIV-Leukemia victim and then tested the marrow. Give it a little time and they will find the HIV then the AIDS once more.

If there were some details of any level in the report I might think otherwise, but the lack of detail suggests this is a funding PR exercise, not a genuine result.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 am 
Superstar Contributor

Interesting Acolyte. I don't know much about stem cells, but I always hear good things from them.

But isn't this like the 100th news article claiming to cure HIV? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:39 am 
2012 Elder

Stem cells are brilliant engineering possibilities - they can turn their 'hands' to almost any possibility, but they can't go seek and destroy. Leukemia can be treated by replacing the deficient cells with new cells, and here stem cells will shine. Virii, (my smartarse name for viruses) operate by subsuming cells into producing the virus copies. While a given stem cells can replace the cell doing the copying, the only way to treat a person with full-blown AIDS is to find every cell so subsumed and replace them.

I would place a small bet that what has happened here is they have stem-celled the leukemia, then gone back and tested the marrow and found no AIDS. I think if they extended the test to the rest of the body, they'd find AIDS.

But there are an increasing number of people who have had AIDS for years and not succumbed - natural systems are working it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:18 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Mikelos wrote:
HeavenSent wrote:

Antiretroviral drugs have been around for quite awhile, but for the majority of that time the cost was astronomical (many insurance companies wouldn't even cover the drugs). He was one of the early few and lucky who could afford to take the medicine, which essentially paused the deterioration of the disease, preventing it from becoming full-blown AIDS. Nowadays, antiretroviral drugs are quite affordable in the Western world (and even in parts of Africa), so while infection rates haven't dropped, mortality rates from the disease have.

So basically, he still has it but took a drug that slowed down the deterioration process :!:
According to my research his brother had died of AIDS.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:02 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Acolyte wrote:
natural systems are working it out.

Indeed. I find it rather ironic that many of the supposed scientists behind all the drugs and "cures" are often the most avid supporters of the idea of evolution. While preaching the ideas of Darwin, they are further enabling the evolution of super-bugs by trying to synthesize human immortality.

Most stratigists would agree that the best defense is a strong offense. Defense is ALWAYS at least one step behind, that is the nature of defense. By trying to immune ourselves against life, we are strengthening the offensive entities within life.

Yes we are living longer than ever before, but I have to wonder...at what cost? In the grand scheme of time a 70 year lifespan is negligibly different than a 40 year lifespan. Is it possible that all these antibiotics and steroids being shoved down our throats and injected into our veins are giving us short term success at the cost of long term failure?

Change the world!
http://www.2012forum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=17713

Write in None of You Bastards! 2016...2020...2024...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24 pm 
2012 Elder

Acolyte wrote:
Look... I'd like to be all positive about this, but a cure is not coming from stem cell transplants. Stem cells don't go out and cure other cells - stem cells can alter the balance by replacing damaged or deficient cells. But AIDS is a virus and a virus works in very specific ways.

The only cure comes from preventing the virus from taking over cells to reproduce. Stem cells can't do that. It might be that stem cells could be cultured to be T-cells that are sensitised to AIDS or HIV but that isn't mentioned here.

I think what we see here is they have used stem cells to replace the bone marrow of an HIV-Leukemia victim and then tested the marrow. Give it a little time and they will find the HIV then the AIDS once more.

If there were some details of any level in the report I might think otherwise, but the lack of detail suggests this is a funding PR exercise, not a genuine result.

Does it make any difference that the stem cells are HIV-resistant?

http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20101215/hiv-aids-cure-faq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:38 am 
2012 Elder

Mikelos wrote:
Does it make any difference that the stem cells are HIV-resistant?

http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20101215/hiv-aids-cure-faq

Quote:
The patient's doctor, Gero Hütter, MD, had an idea. Since HIV hides in white blood cells, why not try to cure the patient of leukemia and HIV at the same time? Instead of a normal donor, Huetter looked for a donor who carried the relatively rare mutation called CCR5delta32.

People with this mutation lack functional CCR5, the keyhole that HIV most often uses to enter cells. People who inherit two copies of this gene are highly resistant to HIV infection. So Hütter found a stem-cell donor who carried this mutation and used the cells to repopulate his patient's immune system.

That definitely makes a difference. Thanks for the link, it is a MUCH better report. The original one was so sparse in detail it wasn't very useful and as I was at work I didn't have the opportunity to go look further.

That opens up a broad field of investigation, even if it is just to find out why the HIV didn't re-infect using the CXCR4 vulnerability.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]