It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pleiades and Orion
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Is Pleiades and Orion drawing nearer? I do not recall Pleiades being so nearly in front of Orion's bow. As they travel thru the night sky, I notice Pleiades looking like it is lining up with Orion's bow, as if it is an arrow being shot.

Now, I may have just made the connection because I am a slow observer-learner (but i never forget :) ). I have, however, been faithfully-watching these two wonderful groupings since the winter of 1997 and I don't recall them being situated as they are now, especially as they meet at near zenith and start their setting in the west each nite.

Another question, is Orion's right shoulder different in color as compared to 10 years ago?. It seems like it has changed a bit, but once again this may be my lack of attention to detail over the years.

Post subject: Re: Pleiades and Orion
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:32 am 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

I like looking at them too. Not as closely as you though......

Post subject: Re: Pleiades and Orion
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Thanks Suz. I am nearly certain they are more proximal to each other and the eastward shoulder star is a slightly different shade of color, as compared to many years ago. No matter, we enjoy their presence every winter.

An interesting conversation I had with my wife a few years ago, as we observed Orion, was our discussion of how kool it would be to see a meteorite shoot thru the bow, like an arrow being shot. Maybe some day.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]