It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 items that disappear first in a disaster....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 am 
Brand New Here

Quite a lot of those things above can be made through personal effort if you get desperate though. There's a lot of information online about how to do things naturally, from scratch, all by your self.

How to make yeast - takes 32yrs but it does teach you.

How to do beekeeping your self - a subsitute for sugar, if you can harvest honey, I am trying to encourage bees into my garden by self building homes bees would find interesting and luring them near it with sugar watered sponges.

How to make water filters, quite easily, all you need is rope and old plastic bottles from soda drinks and plenty or pebbles or sand and the patience to make it in several layers. Ensure you save all the rainwater you can get in large barrels.

I admit the lamps, fires etc is going to be tricky, so stocking up on parafin, matches etc will be good - however, nothing comes better than trying to learn how to make your own. I think those kinds of sites are now closed as they also taught you how to make your own dynamite etc.

You can make a weapon out of almost anything - if you dont have guns, then if you can make your own gunpowder you could make your own basic grenades, or better still alcohol bombs. or just learn archery, and then try to replicate the arrows and bow your self, by carving wood and making sure you have strong string.
Another weapon would be your own body, becoming physically fit, karate, gymnastics etc will help.

Beans and wheat can be self grown if you know how and have secret space for it.

Vegetable oil can be self made - especially sunflower oil, and rosemary oil. I have yet to learn about sunflower oil, but I do know how to extract the oil from rosemary flowers. Takes a long while but you will get there in the end.

I think for survival purposes people have to skip the modern day brainwashing healthy diet - and go back to recycling animal fats after cooking, for oil as its simpler.

There's plentry of information out there about how to make your own charcoal too, so that is no problem, if you know how and have the patience.

A heater isn't neccessary, you can go back to old fashioned fires or furs (people really need to stop thinking modernly if they want to survive and learn to get used to living hardily now, before it's too late).

Grain grinders, go back to basics again and use a self made, oversized pestle and mortar and put your back into hours of work!

Babies suvived years ago without all that stuff - diapers can be any piece of cloth wrapped around them - you can't be queasy when you have to survive, as weakness wont get you anywhere - wash the diapers with your bare hands, and a rock, and soapwort flowers (natures soap) and dry it out and put them back on the kid!
Medicines are essential, but again, there's plenty of stuff nature can provide within plants.

Cooking stoves, go back to BBQs and stone ovens.

Vitamins, learn the local wild foods and base your vitamin intake on that! Don't be afraid of weeds etc, to replace your vitamins. Nettle soup, rosehip tea, rosemary infusions, dandelions are all very high in vitamins.

Haircare, chicken eggs, cows milk, and rosemary infusions are all good for the hair. If you dont like it, try drywashing with sand! seriously! You can't be glamorous when you are surviving! Using burnt wood as eyeliner is perfectly safe too, so thats natures make up for you!

Ladies sanitary, again, similar to diapers... use very thick layers of cloth and wear leather undergarments to keep yourself clean and dry, and then wash your rags - disgusting I know, but its survival.

Toilet paper - again, disgusting, but cloth or leaves, or stones, or as Judge Dread learned, seashells.

Milk, you can milk most animals, cows, goats, I heard somewhere donkeys and camels too.

Clothes pins easily made if you know how to carve them from wood.

Tuna fish in oil... well, let's put it this way... any fish will do if you can fish it!

First aid kits, ok this may seem essential - but you can make them in the wild too. To stop massive bleeding you have to put a hot piece of metal against your skin to burn the wound shut and prevent infection - drastic I know, but you cant live off what little you've looted for a whole lifetime for several people, so eventually you will have to resort back to these methods, unless you were a person in the medical profession or whatever, and can make the necessities.

Learn how to make vinegar (I believe apple is the main ingredient) salt can be harvested from boiled sea water if you have the patience - soapwort flowers lather up for natural soap, theres many flowers etc which can create dyes for paint and whatever.

I agree, if you want to survive, you should have dogs with you not only to alert you to intruders, but to protect you, and help you hunt.

Flour can be made if you know how to make it and you can grow wheat.

writing paper, pads and pencils. Okay, you can make that too, if you know how to make paper and really its not all that hard... you can even recycle paper you already have to make new paper - and you can use burnt wood or charcoal as a pen, may not last long - but you can also learn to make your own dye, and carve out a thin piece of wood to act a pen, and dip this wood into the dye and you have your own pen.

Toothpaste can be created by various plants, soapwort, peppermint, rosemary, aniseed, fennel, licorice root to name but a few. Make your own toothbrush by using chewed ends of sticks of wood, which will become frayed and this will help brush off plaque.

Many plants rubbed on the skin can act as an insect repellent, research these.

Gather as many knives as possible or collect silver to melt and mould into whatever you want.

Learn how to extract iron from local sources and melt it down to whatever you want, theres information on wikipedia about the process of it all, including making leather.

Gravy can be made too, theres various recipes online on how to make your own gravy the natural way.

Wagons and carts can be self made, just buy a manual on how to do it.

corrective lenses will be essential as well as hearing aids, for those who are hard of hearing, I can only suggest, that you stock up now, on spares. Or, learn your levels of hearing and sight, and loot places when you know that civilisation is broken!

Glue can be made naturally from various trees and woods, as well as certain saps from trees such as silver birch, which actually can waterproof wood and various other things.

All in all its a brilliant list you made, and all it takes now is for everybody to start making the effort to learn now, when they have a choice, so when they are thrown into the thick of it all, that things wont seem all that bad as it would have been without effort beforehand.

Also, you have to learn to do without certain luxuries as most of it is probably imported into your country anyways and is not a natural native produce of your land. So therefore inevitably you will miss it, when the time comes - so you better wean your self off some stuff now, before it hurts too much!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:20 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

I couldnt find anywhere else to ask a small question, What happens to sugar over time? if it hardens can you just crush it back up and use it? does it rot? What should i keep it in?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am 
Brand New Here

Hello friends.I'm cristiano from spain.Nice to meet you.I am really proud to post on this forum.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:51 pm 
2012 Elder

RobG wrote:
I couldnt find anywhere else to ask a small question, What happens to sugar over time? if it hardens can you just crush it back up and use it? does it rot? What should i keep it in?

Sugar is a basic hydrocarbon. It, by itself, won't go bad. The hardness is moisture trapped in it. Crushing it up again is fine. But be careful. The moisture may carry spores or bacterium that will feed on the sugar. You won't know until it makes you sick. Keep it in a cool dry place, preferably in a plastic airtight container.

The glass is always full. It is the ratio between air and water that changes.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:07 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

78. "Survival-in-a-Can"

I laughed at that.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 am 
2012 Elder

they have survival in a bottle now. :D actually it is a water bottle with a few thing stored in it that could be useful. you can find them at cheaper than dirt here is a link
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP350-1.html

never used one before
FYI at a local store though i did find fully stocked combat medic bags( the big M5 not the small tri fold M3 CLS bag) looked like the same bag i carried for years they sell for 149.95+tax already stocked with medical supplies(no morphine) I didn't really look at it to hard so i do not know what is actually in it but for 150 bucks i could build one heck of an aid bag filled with stuff a person might really need not the junk that i have seen in most 1st aid kits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:34 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

One critcal item you missed, Alcohol. No not the drinking kind, 95% or higher pure stuff. Unlike Gas or diesel which is only good for less than 2 years, alcohol has extended shelf life. With a few hundred gallons of alcohol stock piled, you could adjust a vehicle to run off of it. Having fast realiable transportation would be a Huge advantage over others reduced to horses at best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:42 pm 
2012 Forum Newbie

:D :D I really like you vary complete list of supplys, But where to keep and store all of it will be a problem and then to move it if the case would arise. We have a 21ft winniebago that is fully self contained but i know that the roads would be over ran with cars and trucks. We could store quite a lot of stuff in it.That is my plan but i can't think what would be better to do.any idea's? :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:47 am 
Valued 2012er

Looking, if you travel the same areas of your country regularly, how about making yourself a few caches along the way? You could bury or hide large containers of water and/or food. That way, you'd need to pack less in your RV.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:29 am 
Brand New Here

Dude. Seriously. maybe this list was compiled years ago... But when i think of a world ending scenario, do I really need and egg beater?b :roll: Some things on this list are lame and it seems like it was compiled by some white collar camper staying at a cozy KOA. I mean come on man. lol

I cant wait for 2012. If Nasa is saying there is going to be an event, I can't wait to see what happens. This is SO EXCITING!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:31 am 
Brand New Here

[quote="pixie11"]they have survival in a bottle now. :D actually it is a water bottle with a few thing stored in it that could be useful. you can find them at cheaper than dirt here is a link
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP350-1.html

It got a 4.5 outta 5 bullet rating. Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:12 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

WOW, thank you very much for this list! It's a very "wise" list in that everything on the list was carefully chosen and could be packed away in a small space.

:D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:22 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Quote:
I cant wait for 2012. If Nasa is saying there is going to be an event, I can't wait to see what happens. This is SO EXCITING!!!

Amen to that! I got sick of 2012 books that completely missed the point of why 2012 is going to happen and why it's GOOD. My husband has been scared to death; didn't even want to talk about it until I started sharing a book I just got with him, "The Mystery of 2012" written by a series of writers from a varied and large knowledge base.

One thing that was brought up in one of the first chapters made my husband latch right on to what you said about NASA "being up there doing something with the satellites." This particular chapter, written by a researcher with NASA background, had been commenting on the possible severity of solar storms which are expected to not really do much damage to Earth, but knock out our satellites---which could really mess up communication.

By the end of only the second chapter, my husband was losing the fear as he was seeing the possibilities in 2012. While the solstice may not be fun to go through, the other side of it just might be something akin to heaven.

It IS exciting and I'm thrilled to be in this generation! :!:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:36 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Insofar as fire-lighting materials, I'd been doing some research on the web and found out how to create a fire without matches, flint, etc. http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video ... rs-272615/

What a great way to carry a "fire in your pocket!"

Be Careful with the chemicals! It's been hard finding the two ingredients but basically, the first one is used to treat sick Koi in ponds and the other is glycerin. Then you just need the empty pill caps to make them up.

In addition, save your dryer lint. It is the BEST stuff to get a fire roaring, packs tight, extremely light, and can help protect other items as packing filler.

YouTube has excellent walk-throughs for a variety of survival techniques and how to make your own kindling, etc.---geez, even napalm! I couldn't believe how easy THAT is using empty toilet paper rolls, styrofoam, and acetone.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:49 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

Nature wrote:
Quite a lot of those things above can be made through personal effort if you get desperate though. There's a lot of information online about how to do things naturally, from scratch, all by your self.

I admit the lamps, fires etc is going to be tricky, so stocking up on parafin, matches etc will be good - however, nothing comes better than trying to learn how to make your own. I think those kinds of sites are now closed as they also taught you how to make your own dynamite etc.

I'm currently in the process of collecting all of my dryer lint and getting empty gel caps to have "fire in a bottle." Here's the website for the ingredients. I printed out each of the steps included with the YouTube video: http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video ... rs-272615/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next