It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: A Guide to Lucid Dreaming (and Remembering Dreams)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:39 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Hi everyone!

I have created this article (myself) awhile ago, and I decided to post it here.

First of all, I guess I should explain WHAT a Lucid Dream is!

When you are Lucid Dreaming, you are basically aware that you are dreaming. In most cases, you have complete control over the dream.

During a Lucid Dream, you can of course do things you can't do in your waking life; during a Lucid Dream, some may choose to stay in the storyline to see how it turns up, or to alter the course the dream. You could also change minor things in the dream too!

Basically, the way you achieve lucid dreaming is when you realize you are dreaming during the dream; it's not as easy as it sounds because you end up getting a sort of "amnesia" when you dream (you don't know that you're dreaming, and you have no real memory of your waking life). Thing is, once you actually realize you are dreaming, you have full memory as if you're on your waking life; it's sort of like "waking up" inside the dream (if that makes sense). As for doing this, there are some ways of training yourself to lucid dream.

Firstly, you will need to remember your dreams. I'll give some techniques on how to do this:

One of the main things you need to do, is tell yourself (by "yourself", I mean your subconscious). This is very simple.

Before you go to bed, just tell yourself out loud something like: "Tonight I will be aware that I'm dreaming, and I will remember my dreams when I awake". Say this to yourself about, err... 50 times (to hammer it in) every time you go to sleep. This basically tells your subconscious that you want to have lucid dreams and that you want to wake up remembering them.

Another thing you should do is keep a "dream journal". Have it beside your bed, and when you wake up in the morning and you remember your dream, write it down. I cannot stress how important writing down your dreams are. It definitely helps you remember them.

NOTE: If you don't remember your dream when you wake up, but you remember it later, go back and write it down then!

So, as you start to remember your dreams, it will actually MATTER if you have lucid ones. As I said, you will need to realize that you are dreaming while you are dreaming; sometimes you will be in the dream and something will "click" and you will just realize, "Hey! I'm dreaming!" This happens to me sometimes. Other times it may be one of your triggers.

A trigger is something (an action, a sight, something) that achieves a desired result; in this case, it's lucid dreaming. For me, I've trained myself to "check if I'm dreaming" (I'll get to that). A trigger for me, is if I see a deceased relative, then I'll realize I'm dreaming. You may discover your own triggers, where something happens and you will realize, "That can't happen, this must be a dream!" but it's also good to program a trigger. It doesn't need to be something really big, just something you will end up doing in your dream which will remind you that you may be dreaming (then your memory will usually be restored and you will have a lucid dream).

One thing that you can do is question if you are dreaming all the time; even if you know you are not currently dreaming. Ask yourself, "Am I dreaming?" and do some sort of action after that to see if you are dreaming. What I do is look down at my watch. Even if I'm not wearing a watch, I still do it. When I'm dreaming, the hands are usually spinning out of control (by this point, I'm usually lucid dreaming, and all my memory is restored).

Another thing you can do is to look at your hands (palms). When you go to sleep, do it staring at your palms. When you see your hands/palms in the dream, it will remind you of looking at your hands when going to sleep, and it may start the lucid dream. You don't have to look at your hands. You can use anything.

I have found another way to lucid dream that doesn't involve the above. Have any of you ever had a dream, then you wake up and, still half-asleep, you close your eyes again, and you can still "see" the dream going on? Sometimes you may end up just falling asleep again and completely reentering the dream.

One time, that very thing happened to me. I was having a dream that I was in a race car and I ended up waking up. So, I was still tired, and when I closed my eyes, I could faintly see the vision of the race car. I decided to try an experiment. I kept relaxing, trying to keep my eyes closed and fall back asleep, fully aware that I was falling asleep. Then, eventually, (maybe 2-5 mins) I was fully in the dream again (I knew this, because it didn't feel like I was laying down and "seeing" the dream, I felt like I was sitting up in the car, speeding around). I knew I was dreaming, so I told myself I was… Then I went lucid; this was my first lucid dream.

There is one thing I should point out though, and that's "false awakenings". 8/10 lucid dreams I have end up with me "waking up" when in reality, I was still dreaming. During a false awakening, you will wake up in your bed, get up like you usually would and start your day -- then it ends up being another dream. It's exactly like you're waking up in real life. Sometimes I would wake up, run in the other room and tell my mom I've had a lucid dream, go and make breakfast, wait for the toast to be ready, get in my car and start driving off to my college, then I would wake up in bed (for real) annoyed. The only thing about a false awakening is that they are annoying.

So, what can you do in a lucid dream? Anything! In my first lucid dream, I did what anyone would like to do… I "willed" myself to fly! It's a dream, you can have anything you want to happen, happen . If you want to fly, just fly; if you are being chased by a monster, change the story line so you are chasing the monster instead.

Well, I hope that helps some people with lucid dreaming. Remember that you may not get results over night; I didn't start getting results until a month after I started. It may be longer or shorter for you. :wink:

The government is not your friend! Will you let them WIPE YOU OUT after the disaster?

Energy Manipulation, Telekinesis, Remote Viewing, Telepathy, etc are possible -- no need for a 'gift' -- and YOU can do it!

Post subject: Re: A Guide to Lucid Dreaming (and Remembering Dreams)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:59 am 
Valued 2012er

I had a lucid dream once. I had read about them and decided to try it out. In the middle of dreaming that I was at a local park, I realized that I was dreaming. I was so excited that I wanted to try flying. I thought, "Oh yeah, I'm in charge now." Well, I climbed up on some playground equipment and jumped off. I came crashing down onto a picnic table below. It broke and I just kinda laid there. It hurt a bit so I panicked. I was thinking, "oh crap, I'm not really dreaming, I hope no one makes me pay for this table... damn, my arm hurts." I woke up for real then. I laughed to myself about it, realizing, yeah, I was dreaming. I was sleeping on my arm in such a way it was stiff. I guess that explains the sore arm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:47 am 
2012 Elder

One time I discovered I was LDing, I also tried an experiment. It was trying to make an object suddenly appear (A person I think). Anyway, I discovered that no matter how hard I focussed I just couldn't make the object appear. I could look around no problem, I just couldn't control what was appearing to me. It frustrated me a little, because I have heard about all these things that people can do in an LD, but if I couldn't even control what I was seeing, there was little chance of controlling anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:31 am 
Valued 2012er

I mastered lucid dreaming when I was 13 (one year ago), ever since that day that I perfected my concentration, I was able to become lucid at will! And, I also learned how to remember my lucid dreams... which took months to perfect with a Dream Journal. Now, I wake up about 2-4 times at night after almost every dream I have. (Which explains some of my posts at night hours.)

Here's a very special technique that everyone should know: Dream Spinning. (I'm not sure if this was already posted, but I'm posting it anyway.)
Whenever your dream is fading or you don't like where you are, do this. Spin around on the spot and think of a place that you wish to be in. After you stop spinning, you will realize that your dream would have lengthened in time, and you would be in the location that you have thought of. Very useful technique. I use it sometimes whenever I think of it.

I'm a voice actor (http://www.youtube.com/user/MetallicPoison)
世界の支配者と言われると、お世辞でもうれしい。 Guess... ^^
I'M BACK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:55 am 
2012 Forum Newbie

I had a lot of lucid dreams years ago, however, even if I took control for a few minutes I would always begin to feel some kind of terrible panic and will myself to wake up. I don't know what was up with the panic but the thought that usually ran through my head was, "I'm in a fake world! I don't wanna be here! I just wanna wake up and see what time it is!!" and then I always woke up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:51 am 
2012 Elder

coolkoala wrote:
I had a lot of lucid dreams years ago, however, even if I took control for a few minutes I would always begin to feel some kind of terrible panic and will myself to wake up. I don't know what was up with the panic but the thought that usually ran through my head was, "I'm in a fake world! I don't wanna be here! I just wanna wake up and see what time it is!!" and then I always woke up.

I actually did the same when I first had an LD. While I wasn't panicked as such, It was a case of "will I continue sleeping or wake up and see what time it is". I chose the second option. However the LD state, I now find so amazing, that I will never make the mistake of waking myself up from it. Though usually after a couple of minutes of LD, I will either go back into non-conscious sleep, or I will wake up naturally.

I certainly find it intriguing that it caused you to panic, although if it's a dream that you don't like, then that is certainly understandable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Hi refuge

Thought i would write to you as you seem to be one of the experts on Dreams.

Wondered if you can shed some light on this. Last Night.

I was in this very large building which seemed like a church/hanger. I was talking to some people but do not know who they were. To the left of me was a man whom I recognized and acknowledged. He pointed upwards where there was an extremely intense light not a large expanse but small and circular. I looked up and started floating towards this energy half way...then I woke up !!!! First time I have had this dream!

Any ideas?

viking

'Man has been trained to believe that which he is told- whether it is truth or a lie, to the point now that man is simply victim of the lies. May light come forth that you may recover your pathway to truth'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:51 pm 
Valued 2012er

I may be able to help you with this... maybe you are desperate for something. It could be a message. I can't explain, I guess we'll have to wait for Refuge.

REFUGE - READ THE POST ABOVE THIS ONE!

I'm a voice actor (http://www.youtube.com/user/MetallicPoison)
世界の支配者と言われると、お世辞でもうれしい。 Guess... ^^
I'M BACK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 pm 
Superstar Contributor

I know a good amount on dreams, but not much on interpretation :(

I do know that dreams are symbolic for the most part.

I would assume that rather than wanting something, someone could be coming from an unknown source, maybe? Or logically, maybe something being presented to you from a known source, but caused by an unknown source?

Does that make sense?

The government is not your friend! Will you let them WIPE YOU OUT after the disaster?

Energy Manipulation, Telekinesis, Remote Viewing, Telepathy, etc are possible -- no need for a 'gift' -- and YOU can do it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:06 pm 
Superstar Contributor

Cheers Refuge

Thanks for your time.... mmmm need to think about that one... :D

viking

refuge wrote:
I know a good amount on dreams, but not much on interpretation :(

I do know that dreams are symbolic for the most part.

I would assume that rather than wanting something, someone could be coming from an unknown source, maybe? Or logically, maybe something being presented to you from a known source, but caused by an unknown source?

Does that make sense?

'Man has been trained to believe that which he is told- whether it is truth or a lie, to the point now that man is simply victim of the lies. May light come forth that you may recover your pathway to truth'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:22 am 
2012 Elder & Retired Moderator

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any negatives from learning to lucid dream? I could do a quick google search but I would prefer to discuss it in this thread and hear peoples experiences.

Also, does LD count as sleeping? Does it eat up your hours of being asleep and therefore make your need to sleep more hours? Say you lucid dream for long periods of time, are you still getting the sleep you need?

I have a strong interest in lucid dreaming because of the spiritual side of it, but I am yet to bother learning it. I have started writing down my dreams more though. I have posted a few on 2012connect on the blog.

I'm going to make this a sticky because of it's heavy relation to dreaming in general. I have read a few guides on how to lucid dream and I think the first post has great information and is written very well for people to trust and use.

beep_beep_so_cheap wrote:
I had a lucid dream once. I had read about ........

Haha, good dream beep!

refuge wrote:
Sometimes I would wake up, run in the other room and tell my mom I've had a lucid dream, go and make breakfast, wait for the toast to be ready, get in my car and start driving off to my college, then I would wake up in bed (for real) annoyed. The only thing about a false awakening is that they are annoying.

lol.... that’s more than annoying I think. That’s also very confusing and possibly stressful!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:57 am 
2012 Elder

The best place to learn more about LDing and hearing people's experiences is http://www.dreamviews.com/. There is a popular forum too, so it is a good place to find out any information that you may want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:44 am 

Ahh, that's the site I use. =)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:59 am 
Superstar Contributor

I've done it a few times, though I don't think X rated content is allowed here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:04 am 

AnotherGeneric wrote:
I've done it a few times, though I don't think X rated content is allowed here.

Wonders who on the forum he's done it with...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next